Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49

Thread: Suggestion to stop Spammers

  1. #21
    Administrator jwalker9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,374
    Quote Originally Posted by awildermode View Post
    Argh! We have been bombarded an abundance of spam. Argh!
    Sorry The spam is such a hassle, and the fixes and changes never work for long. So annoying.

  2. #22
    Moderator RedsBluesGreens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,082
    Quote Originally Posted by jwalker9 View Post
    Sorry The spam is such a hassle, and the fixes and changes never work for long. So annoying.
    Agreed - we'd tried several things and nothing seems to work!
    On that note, I've been busy for the past week so haven't been on the forum - I've just cleared 15+ spam accounts from the last few days alone, so the forum should be spam free (temporarily!)

    J.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    619
    This does seem the worse forum for spam I have come across..

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

  4. #24
    Again, thanks to the mods and admins for swinging the ban-hammer.

  5. #25
    Moderator RedsBluesGreens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg156 View Post
    This does seem the worse forum for spam I have come across..

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Any suggestions welcome, Andy! The volume of it at the moment is more than I've ever seen.
    Again this morning, I've banned several accounts for spam posts & visitor messages. There doesn't appear to be a pattern to it in terms of how they register, hence myself and Jeremy having a hard time keeping a lid on it.

    J.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    619
    I'm a far way from a computer geek. But I will ask around

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

  7. #27
    Moderator RedsBluesGreens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg156 View Post
    I'm a far way from a computer geek. But I will ask around

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    If you find anything, feel free to PM me. It'd be much appreciated!

    J.

  8. #28


    Nothing wrong with Spam

  9. #29
    Senior Member rich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    It is phpBB 3.0.11, but it is also possible in vBulletin (the software of this forum)...

    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...from-new-users
    I really think the answer is to moderate new users. Spammers tend to create a new user id, spam the forum and disappear. Therefore, manually approving the first few posts tends to weed most of them out. As I said, I am a moderator on another forum, and that has worked for us. We tend to get several new users each day. Some post a comment on an existing thread or introduce themselves whilst others create posts with links to other sites or just write junk. It is easy to tell the difference. We delete the spam account - along with their posts - before they reach the live forum. It takes a couple of minutes each day and it's easy.

    Richard

  10. #30
    Moderator RedsBluesGreens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,082
    Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    I really think the answer is to moderate new users. Spammers tend to create a new user id, spam the forum and disappear. Therefore, manually approving the first few posts tends to weed most of them out. As I said, I am a moderator on another forum, and that has worked for us. We tend to get several new users each day. Some post a comment on an existing thread or introduce themselves whilst others create posts with links to other sites or just write junk. It is easy to tell the difference. We delete the spam account - along with their posts - before they reach the live forum. It takes a couple of minutes each day and it's easy.
    We'll look in to it Rich, thanks. It really is a pain at the moment - both for us and you!

    J.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Top Watch Sites