Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deployment v buckle

Deployment v buckle

Hi everyone,

I'd always assumed that a deployment clasp was better than a buckle but then I saw that a buckle came as standard on the Victory and realised a deployment isn't always about the best/ most expensive watch.

What are the advantages of one over the other? I'd quite like to put my Bremont clasp on my Toshi strap that currently has a buckle on, is that easily done? It seems complicated and I'm nervous about making a real mess of it.

Rich.

A deployment leads to less wear on the strap, apparently - I can't comment as to the truth of this, as I've only ever worn the Bremont deployment for a short amount of time on multiple straps, not one strap for a length of time (it's currently on my rubber S500 strap.)

The clasp is easy to remove and replace with a standard springbar tool, as that is what holds both ends of the clasp on. There are various tutorials online, or if you are unsure bring it with you when we meet, and I'll do it for you. It's fairly simple, I'm sure you won't make a mess.

J.

Another advantage of the deployment is that when installed it makes a closed loop that slips on the wrist! No accidental drops while securing to wrist like a buckle! My wife dropped her Solo the first time she put it on because the strap was stiff and she lost control of the watch. Had to send it back to Bremont for new bezel. And lastly for me the deployment is more comfortable! The new deployments are all spring bar equipped but the older ones use screws to attach to strap. the new design is much easier to install and doesn't require a very small screw driver! Cheers jim
    Breitling Navitimer, Omega PO, Rolex Datejust,Platinum Yacht Master ,Rado Sinatra, Bremont MB1,S500 Supermarine, Blue ALT1-P, 37 & 43 White Solos ,Bronze MBIII, White Boeing Model 1, F-16 Viper DLC Blue, and the Wright Flyer! Speake-Marin Wing Commander

One feature that I do wish they could incorporate is a method of fine-tuning the size, like you can on the clasps of most bracelets. I find the added height of the deployment when closed makes it fit slightly too tight on one hole, and slightly too loose on the other.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    One feature that I do wish they could incorporate is a method of fine-tuning the size, like you can on the clasps of most bracelets. I find the added height of the deployment when closed makes it fit slightly too tight on one hole, and slightly too loose on the other.

J.
    Yeah, I am also a 'half-sizer' for both buckle and deployment. This also depends on temperature.

With small wrists I struggle with some deployments as they only adjust on one side which means the curved metal instead of being straight across my wrist often ends up cutting across the bone !

But I do prefer them where they do fit me, the Bremont ones work okay for me.

Quote Originally Posted by marcusj View Post
    With small wrists I struggle with some deployments as they only adjust on one side which means the curved metal instead of being straight across my wrist often ends up cutting across the bone !

But I do prefer them where they do fit me, the Bremont ones work okay for me.
    In terms of comfort I believe this is the key consideration, which is dictated by the length of your strap at the 12 o'clock. Another consideration mentioned is the added height of the whole clasp (approx. 4mm), which takes a bit of getting used to if you spend a lot of time on the keyboard.

Switching out the current type of Bremont clasps shouldn't be too difficult as it's all spring bars.

However please double check on widths if you plan on fitting the clasp on Toshi straps. As far as I know, Toshi doesn't make tapered straps, while Bremont doesn't seem to offer a 22mm clasp.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptLeslie View Post
    Another advantage of the deployment is that when installed it makes a closed loop that slips on the wrist! No accidental drops while securing to wrist like a buckle! My wife dropped her Solo the first time she put it on because the strap was stiff and she lost control of the watch. Had to send it back to Bremont for new bezel. And lastly for me the deployment is more comfortable! The new deployments are all spring bar equipped but the older ones use screws to attach to strap. the new design is much easier to install and doesn't require a very small screw driver! Cheers jim
    That's a very good point about a deployment clasp making a loop and therefore less chance of it slipping of your wrist when fastening it. I've dropped a watch fumbling to do up a buckle before now.

As it turns out I can't fit the Bremont deployment to my Toshi straps as they don't taper like the oem straps and it won't fit. (I think that will be true of all my after market straps so it looks like it's staying where it is).

Very much appreciate the advice Jake (at least I won't be making a mess of anything by not trying to do it now. I've scratched my case fumbling with straps and changing tools before now too).

Glacierjb - indeed you're spot on about the tapering. Thanks for the information. Rich.
    Last edited by SuperRichieM; 08-28-2015 at 07:13 PM.

My watch arrived with a buckle as there were some QA issues with the deployments, when it arrived I put it straight on. I think it lasted two days before I went back to the buckle. I seem to remember it feeling uncomfortable and 'big' so I sold it on. There's an element of horses for courses but I have other watches with deployments that are comfortable. Probably just me, ignore all after 'My'.........

Also a 1/2 sizer I spend me life going between two holes.

As I've a 200cm wrist the deployment allows me to wear a regular strap comfortably which I can't on the buckle, a result as Bremont don't make my favourite straps in long!

What's makes it a no brainer for me is the fact it saves the leather/canvas. A new lover to the brand in not so sure about the ruggedness of the canvas/hambledon straps. The 3 I've got all showing signs of wear virtually out of the box!

N.