Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid question alert! Leather straps & water!

Stupid question alert! Leather straps & water!

I'll apologise now for the stupid question!

I've not had a leather strapped watch as my main watch since I was at school! I wondered how swimming with them effects the life of the strap? I've been changing straps a lot to use the Velcro NATO when I hit the water but it's becoming tedious!

I'm considering purchasing a rubber strap but before I add Bremont strap No8 to the collection I'd thought I'd see if I'm being overly cautious?

Thank,

Noody.

Anytime you routinely get a leather strap wet you will reduce the overall life of the strap! With that said an occasional dip or two will just add to the patina that leather shows with age a little faster! For me I prefer canvas for the lake and the pool since you never know how your leather will react to say chlorine in a pool! I have multiple watches so I usually set my Supermarine with canvas for the summer then switch it in and out of different 5 ring Zulus , that cost about $12.00, and take less than 2 minutes to change! if you are a one watch person then I would set it up in canvas for the Summer and leather for the winter! And just change into leather during summer months for special occasions! If you do decide to get your leather wet regularly I would treat the strap with a leather water repellent/ conditioner like Chamberlins Leather Milk#3. This is only for smooth leather and can darken light leathers slightly! I have used this product on all my black, brown, and blue Bremont straps! Do not use on Nubuck/porious leathers!!!! I do know numerous of our Bremont fans get their leather wet and none have complained that it diminished the look of their straps! I guess it just comes down to your lifestyle preference! The bottom line is enjoy your watch and have fun! Cheers Jim .
    Breitling Navitimer, Omega PO, Rolex Datejust,Platinum Yacht Master ,Rado Sinatra, Bremont MB1,S500 Supermarine, Blue ALT1-P, 37 & 43 White Solos ,Bronze MBIII, White Boeing Model 1, F-16 Viper DLC Blue, and the Wright Flyer! Speake-Marin Wing Commander

Jim,
    Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed answer. I've got a couple of Rolexs that haven't seen much action since I got the MB but I'm thinking I should start using them again! I think a canvas like you suggest would be a good option to go along with my hambleton when I'm travelling for quick changes.
    Thanks again,
    Noody.

When I first got my ALT1-P with a leather strap, I literally never took it off for anything, other than showering and working on my car. It went in the lake, the pool, the river.....and after 2 sold years of doing so, it held up extremely well. On the outer layer of leather, you wouldn't know it was worn, it still looked pretty much brand new, and the blue coloring of the leather didn't fade at all. On the underside where the embossed lettering was, it started to lose a little coloring there, but that could also be due to sweat and dirt. The only thing that failed were the two hoops that hold the strap ends down. But like I said - I wear mine every day all the time and do stuff that most people would frown at, but it's there to be worn and used, so that's what I do. Since having it serviced, I've now got a blue rubber strap from Bremont, and my word - it's perfect. It's blue, just like my leather one - so it matches the watch perfectly, but this one can take a beating like nothing else. It looks brand new, but it's been through hell and back. I still have a leather one, but since I got the rubber - the leather has been sat in it's case waiting to be used.

So awesome.

I think the Hambleden should fair well in water though...I mean there isn't much that can fall apart. As far as I can tell it's a solid piece of leather with no edging to peel or separate. I think as long as your rinse off with fresh water you should be okay. Calf skin will stretch and deform over time but as far as integrity it should hold up very well.

Thanks guys, the Hambleden is going on and I'll see how it works out!
    Noody.
    Last edited by Noody; 08-07-2015 at 12:40 PM.

Yes I should have my Hambledon on my MBII this Friday..just got word from Chloe that it's ready to come back to me! Can't wait!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Garrettghu View Post
    I think the Hambleden should fair well in water though...I mean there isn't much that can fall apart. As far as I can tell it's a solid piece of leather with no edging to peel or separate. I think as long as your rinse off with fresh water you should be okay. Calf skin will stretch and deform over time but as far as integrity it should hold up very well.
    My hambleden is not a solid piece of leather. I know this because it is splitting into two pieces near the end of the strap at the place where it folds back through the loop.

Hm...l looked at mine and it looks very much like a single piece of leather...I could be mistaken?

Quote Originally Posted by Garrettghu View Post
    Hm...l looked at mine and it looks very much like a single piece of leather...I could be mistaken?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk