Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DLC & Strap durability!

DLC & Strap durability!

Folks,

I'd appreciate any of you long term owners giving me your thoughts on the DLC on my watch. I've not been hard on it and change my straps with as much caution as possible, but, the DLC seems a little less rugged than I'd hoped. I remain in love with the watch/brand and thought I'd see if there was any history before talking to Bremont.

Also I'm on my second canvas strap after the first one failed and it is coming apart at exactly the same place. The only bit of the strap that's not stitched seems to be glued and is coming apart rapidly. Be interested to hear if it's a bad batch or if this strap has some previous.

Excuse the rubbish iphone shots,

Many thanks,

Noody.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	3212   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	74 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	3214   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	97 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	3215  
    Last edited by Noody; 07-22-2015 at 11:06 PM.

Hey Noody,

It's good to see your Tornado again! So as I'm sure you know, DLC is a coating thats applied to surfaces, including watches. It's certainly true that it can scrape or chip off over time and wear. My Alt1tude SE is also DLC, and so far I've yet to have any damage to it, but I wear it sparingly as part of a rotation, and am very careful when changing straps (always prying from the back, avoiding contact with anything other than the spring bar, and so on). So I haven't expereinced this yet, but I'm sure it will come in the future with some knocking around.

I know the watch is rather new to you and you'd love to keep is pristine, but these things happen. The fortunate thing to keep in mind is that at any point if you send it in for scheduled service, it will get a new case, and your scarred original will be sent back to you as a souvenir.

Try to wear it as it was intended, and don't be afraid to knock it around, but definitely continue to be careful with the strap changes!

In terms of the strap, I have no experience with this particular canvas strap, so I'm afraid Im no help on this one!

I echo everything that Jeremy has said.
    I was once told DLC is only as 'hard' as the material it is applied to - ie, if something would scratch the steel, it'd do the same to the DLC coating.

The strap is a whole different issue, and I have no explanation for it. I'm sure someone who 'knows' straps will be along shortly, N!

J.
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 07-23-2015 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    I echo everything that Jeremy has said.
    I was once told DLC is only as 'hard' as the material it is applied to - ie, if something would scratch the steel, it'd do the same to the DLC coating.

J.
    I'm no expert on DLC but I believe that statement is incorrect. In it's purest form DLC is about 50% harder than a Diamond, I doubt that this would be used to coat a watch as it would be cost prohibitive. The St St substrate has a Vickers hardness of around 500 with DLC applied this should be increased around 10 fold to approx 5000 vickers. So in essence it should be 10 times harder to scratch. If your watch suffers a hard impact ie swinging arm onto a door handle then the DLC would be all but useless but if you are sat at a desk all day then your watch shouldn't have scratches on caused by your desk.

Gents,

Thanks for all the thoughts, they are much appreciated.

My expectation was that the whilst DLC would obviously scratch, it wouldn't be quite so easy. The office being a 787 means there's plenty of hard surfaces to rub it against! My Rolexs (Milgauss GV & Air King) and Breitling (B1 recently sold) which I used at work pre MB also have their share of battle scars and I'm a big believer a pilot watch is for function and those scars are part of the character of the the things. The 'shock' has been my Bremont DLC showing more scratches/wear in 4 months than my down route dodgy destination 'Bolex' Pro Hunter that cost £45 in Beijing 3 years ago has after its life of abuse and total non care!

It'll get a service at the end of the warranty so I'll look forward to its gleaming return, thanks for the gen Jeremy.

I want to stress however just how delighted I still am with Bremont! My original strap was replaced without quibble and they've been wonderful in all my interactions. I only asked the question here as I didn't want to bother the team if my expectations on the DLC had been unrealistic, which I'm guessing they are.

Thanks again, I'm now off to wrestle with the do I buy the 747 community SE conundrum!

Noody.

Quote Originally Posted by Noody View Post
    Gents,

Thanks for all the thoughts, they are much appreciated.

My expectation was that the whilst DLC would obviously scratch, it wouldn't be quite so easy. The office being a 787 means there's plenty of hard surfaces to rub it against! My Rolexs (Milgauss GV & Air King) and Breitling (B1 recently sold) which I used at work pre MB also have their share of battle scars and I'm a big believer a pilot watch is for function and those scars are part of the character of the the things. The 'shock' has been my Bremont DLC showing more scratches/wear in 4 months than my down route dodgy destination 'Bolex' Pro Hunter that cost £45 in Beijing 3 years ago has after its life of abuse and total non care!

It'll get a service at the end of the warranty so I'll look forward to its gleaming return, thanks for the gen Jeremy.

I want to stress however just how delighted I still am with Bremont! My original strap was replaced without quibble and they've been wonderful in all my interactions. I only asked the question here as I didn't want to bother the team if my expectations on the DLC had been unrealistic, which I'm guessing they are.

Thanks again, I'm now off to wrestle with the do I buy the 747 community SE conundrum!

Noody.
    Since Bremont hardens their cases, my only question is do they harden it before applying the DLC coating or after and is there a difference in durability?

I know Sinn hardens their cases before the coating is applied and it seems to hold up well.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrettghu View Post
    Since Bremont hardens their cases, my only question is do they harden it before applying the DLC coating or after and is there a difference in durability?

I know Sinn hardens their cases before the coating is applied and it seems to hold up well.
    The case is either case hardened or DLC applied, not both processes are carried out.

Quote Originally Posted by chunkythebulldog View Post
    The case is either case hardened or DLC applied, not both processes are carried out.
    That's incorrect, Ian.
    I've just checked with Bremont, and the case is hardened as usual and then the DLC is applied.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    That's incorrect, Ian.
    I've just checked with Bremont, and the case is hardened as usual and then the DLC is applied.

J.
    Thats's odd as this is what it says on their website.

DLC

DLC Trip-Tick® case construction with sapphire bi-directional rotating bezel. Case diameter 43mm, lug width 22mm. Inner soft iron anti-magnetic Faraday cage to protect movement. Protective patented anti-shock movement mount.

No mention of case hardening only DLC.

U2

Hardened stainless steel Trip-Tick® case construction with bi-directional rotating bezel. Case diameter 43mm, lug width 22mm.

I wish I could say I've seen the process with my own eyes to tell you for certain, but when the question was posed to someone who would know within Bremont, was told that the cases are still hardened before the DLC coating is applied. That's the best I've got to contribute, fellas!