Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kingsman Illum Problem

Kingsman Illum Problem

Good evening All,

A question. Are people disappointed with the Illum on their Kingsman? I have both the Kingsman in SS and the terra nova. The difference in Illum capability of the two watches is in a different league!

Is this a common problem? I'm very rapidly considering sending it back, having spoken with my local AD they will put it under UV light to 'charge' it. Has anyone used UV to fix Illum?

Thanks

Nick

Any chance of some pictures?

Hey Nick,

Honestly, I'm not very surprised that the lume on the ALT1-WT based Kingsman watch is inferior to the lume on the Terra Nova. The TN is essentially a dive watch, designed to shine bright enough to read in dark conditions, with extra lume on the bezel and dial. The chronograph, well it just wasn't intended to perform as well, with small markers on the dial and thin hands.

If I know I'm going into a dark place and want to see my lume, I simply turn on the LED light from my iPhone and hold it up to my watch face for a few seconds. It provides a charge strong enough to last a good while.

Of course, lume fades over time, so don't expect it so shine super bright all night or anything.

I hope that helps!

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by chunkythebulldog View Post
    Any chance of some pictures?
    Yes, pictures would be helpful! although, often its difficult to get a decent lume shot.

I'll try to get a comparison shot of the two, it's very different!

Thanks for the thiughts

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker9 View Post
    Hey Nick,

Honestly, I'm not very surprised that the lume on the ALT1-WT based Kingsman watch is inferior to the lume on the Terra Nova. The TN is essentially a dive watch, designed to shine bright enough to read in dark conditions, with extra lume on the bezel and dial. The chronograph, well it just wasn't intended to perform as well, with small markers on the dial and thin hands.

If I know I'm going into a dark place and want to see my lume, I simply turn on the LED light from my iPhone and hold it up to my watch face for a few seconds. It provides a charge strong enough to last a good while.

Of course, lume fades over time, so don't expect it so shine super bright all night or anything.

I hope that helps!

Jeremy

Agreed with this - two different watches, with different lume requirements.
    If you can, I find sunlight the best for charging lume (or a UV torch) as it will evenly charge the lume, unlike an iPhone which tends to only really charge the section the brightest light hits.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    Agreed with this - two different watches, with different lume requirements.
    If you can, I find sunlight the best for charging lume (or a UV torch) as it will evenly charge the lume, unlike an iPhone which tends to only really charge the section the brightest light hits.

J.
    Or you can get one of those 5 million candle light handheld spot lights, but you may not want to be wearing it while you do that, gets kind of hot. LOL...the lume lasted for around 4 hours after a 10 second exposure.

Before an exposure of UV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After a 20 second UV blast

Having given it some thought. I agree with the comments about the different rule of watch and the realistic expectation of what they should and shouldn't do. What seems strange to me is why they choose to use an inferior lume on the hands of the kingsman. In the photo it shows it more green than the TN - in reality this is not as bright but it is clearly a different coating - look at the same coating on the GMT hand on the Kingsman - which glows as bright as the TN.

Just a bit strange - not worthy of a complaint maybe but very odd! Especially when all you. An see in low light is the GMT glow and no hands... Both my seamaster and Tag (very different watches) seem to be better at night