Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U2 Limited Edition, a non seller?

U2 Limited Edition, a non seller?

Happy Monday to you all.

Have you seen this U2 LE on eBay?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1916223161...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I can’t quite work out why it is struggling to sell.
    Although I have a few ideas, I wondered what you guys thought.

It started at £2500 and is now down to £2200.
    The description is incomplete i.e lack of purchase date or confirmation of the warranty status and the photos aren’t great ..but it looks to be complete with little wear on the original strap.

Could it be that it UK only and not open to the US/ Rest of world? As this could be argued as a US orientated LE.

The worst thing I can think of is the winding crown (see images), it looks to be completely wrong. Could this be a franken U2 or a dodgy repair?

Possible wear to the coating on the crystal, muck around the screws etc coupled with a low starting price possibly suggests a rushed sale of a daily wearer?

What do you think?
    Would you buy this? If not why?
    Last edited by SwissToni; 07-13-2015 at 03:09 PM.

As someone who looks at what's on eBay frequently, I can tell you that this item doesn't come up in the USA when I search for Bremont watches. That could be one reason.

It is definitely authentic and the crowns are correct for this model at the time it was built. They don't use these crowns anymore though.

The watch was built like 5 years ago, so the warranty is most definitely expired. I wouldn't worry too much about that since there aren't any LE U2's with intact warranty.

Looks to be a good price for a highly desirable watch! I don't think I'd have reservations making a bid!
    Last edited by jwalker9; 07-13-2015 at 04:43 PM.

Hmmm, I'd be a little cautious on this being in full original condition...This one has a single pin stainless steel buckle, whereas the U2 LE I owned from new had a double pin DLC, mine also had a different crown cover. That said, I'm of the belief that for this particular LE they were not all dispatched with identical features - a friend had a double pin buckle which was stainless steel. So, in summary, who knows?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
    Hmmm, I'd be a little cautious on this being in full original condition...This one has a single pin stainless steel buckle, whereas the U2 LE I owned from new had a double pin DLC, mine also had a different crown cover. That said, I'm of the belief that for this particular LE they were not all dispatched with identical features - a friend had a double pin buckle which was stainless steel. So, in summary, who knows?!?

That may be because the buyer specified a different strap when they ordered the watch? The watch itself appears to be all OK, as Jeremy said.

J.

That's true, I would expect to see a DLC buckle, even if single pin, but that's an easy problem to solve. The references I've seen have the same crowns as this one.

Do you remember your serial number Stevie? Wonder if it's near this one considering the crowns were different?

Funnily enough, it was the next one in the sequence... A fellow forum member now enjoys it!

Funnily enough, it was the next one in the sequence... A fellow forum member now enjoys it!

Wow, how ironic is that! Good man! To check myself on the crowns, I found an old review from
    Ariel Adams at ABTW and his crowns were the same on the demo model he reviewed. Did yours not have all the silver on the top crown?

Hi J, I tried to find my own photos, but hadn't captured it unfortunately, from memory, the colours were reversed, I.e it was black with silver propellers, I think number 129 and number 007 were advertised on here, and both would appear to have the black crowns - one also had the stainless steel double pin buckle (as opposed to the DLC one I had). So, it seems that there may have been different variants out there - go to love this collecting lark!

My U2 DLC main crown is all black with silver propeller but is not the Limited Edition so I can't really say but I don't recall that been different. And yes, the DLC shipped with a DLC buckle so odd to see the stainless one.
    Regards,

Rich.

My Collection so far:-
    Panerai Submersible 47mm PAM00389 Titanium
    Bremont U2 DLC on Bremont and StevoStraps Custom Straps.
    Raymond Weil Don Giovanni Cosi Grande on StevoStraps Custom Straps
    Seiko Prospex Marine Master 600m Springdrive (SBDB001) (Full Titanium).
    CWC Mechanical Pilots Chronograph
    CWC SBS Dive Watch (DLC)

A large Airbase, Somewhere near Oxford.....
    I have 2 Bremont U2 watches...

A Stainless Steel model with low serial number, and a U2 LE (134/150)... They both have the winding crown with a silver propellor on a black enamel surround, in turn surrounded by either a stainless or black DLC crown.

That crown with a black prop on matt silver background looks wrong (should be polished ?), and the crown itself looks like a slightly different radius profile from the other crown on the same watch (the shoulder area appears wrong on the 'wrong' crown, the border is smaller, and less 'smoothed' than the other crown).

I will not completely rule it out, but knowing what I know, it looks wrong on all counts, either an aftermarket crown, or some goof up within Bremont at the assembly stage.

Regarding the auction in question, it appears to have been sold (£2250) around 14 April 2015 (and ebay feedback received for THIS transaction); re-listed and currently for sale (22 July). I am inclined to assume that either the purchaser was unhappy with the deal, or something 'shady' is going on... Either way, I believe the finish on the 'winding / setting crown is wrong, based on my 2 x U2 watches (S/S and LE), happy to be corrected by someone close to the production process, but the crown just looks 'wrong' from an engineering and design perspective...
    Quote Originally Posted by SwissToni View Post
    Happy Monday to you all.

Have you seen this U2 LE on eBay?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1916223161...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I canít quite work out why it is struggling to sell.
    Although I have a few ideas, I wondered what you guys thought.

It started at £2500 and is now down to £2200.
    The description is incomplete i.e lack of purchase date or confirmation of the warranty status and the photos arenít great ..but it looks to be complete with little wear on the original strap.

Could it be that it UK only and not open to the US/ Rest of world? As this could be argued as a US orientated LE.

The worst thing I can think of is the winding crown (see images), it looks to be completely wrong. Could this be a franken U2 or a dodgy repair?

Possible wear to the coating on the crystal, muck around the screws etc coupled with a low starting price possibly suggests a rushed sale of a daily wearer?

What do you think?
    Would you buy this? If not why?