Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: My new Bremont ALT1-C/CR arrived.. (but not working properly)

  1. #1

    My new Bremont ALT1-C/CR arrived.. (but not working properly)

    Hello people! I am glad to be part of your community.

    My Bremont ALT1-C/CR arrived yesterday from Mr Porter and I was very excited to open the box and try the watch out. This is my first Bremont and probably the last one since I cant afford more, but I feel I made the right choice since this watch is very stylish!

    I read the manual, set the time, but after 6 hours it stopped working. I readjusted the time, set the crown button to position one and started the watch with the button above the crown button. It continued to work but I also noticed the the glow at night was there but very weak. After 3 hours it stopped again. I did the same procedure again and this time it lasted only about min. Could it be the battery? Shouldn't a watch this expensive get shipped with a full battery?

    Another thing that couldnt figure out was how to open the little pin from the clasp that stops the strap going through the buckle. Read manuals online etc etc but still could not figure it out. Can someone shed some light on this?

    This is my first luxury watch so please be a bit patient with me!

    Thanks for your help in advance!
    Philip

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip_Savv View Post
    Hello people! I am glad to be part of your community.

    My Bremont ALT1-C/CR arrived yesterday from Mr Porter and I was very excited to open the box and try the watch out. This is my first Bremont and probably the last one since I cant afford more, but I feel I made the right choice since this watch is very stylish!

    I read the manual, set the time, but after 6 hours it stopped working. I readjusted the time, set the crown button to position one and started the watch with the button above the crown button. It continued to work but I also noticed the the glow at night was there but very weak. After 3 hours it stopped again. I did the same procedure again and this time it lasted only about min. Could it be the battery? Shouldn't a watch this expensive get shipped with a full battery?

    Another thing that couldnt figure out was how to open the little pin from the clasp that stops the strap going through the buckle. Read manuals online etc etc but still could not figure it out. Can someone shed some light on this?

    This is my first luxury watch so please be a bit patient with me!

    Thanks for your help in advance!
    Philip
    Welcome to the Bremont family, Philip! Glad you found one of the most supportive watch forums on the net lol.

    I believe a crash course on the basics of your watch is in order.

    Your Bremont is an automatic mechanical watch, which means that there is no battery or electronics of any sort inside. The power comes from a spring aka the mainspring (in principle much like a pullback motor toy car). And you charge the mainspring by winding it.

    There are two ways you can wind your Bremont:

    1. Manual winding:
    Keep the crown at position 1 (not pulling it out at all), and rotate the crown clockwise with your fingers in a pinching manner. If your watch isn't running at all, rotating the crown 20-30 times should be enough to get you going.

    2. Automatic winding:
    "Automatic" means that your watch is charged just by being strapped to your wrist! Specifically, the daily movement of your arm turns a weighted rotor inside the watch, which in turn winds the mainspring.

    In short, if your watch stops running (which it will if you leave it sitting on a desk for 40 or so hours), proceed with Manual winding.

    If your watch is running, just strap it on and get on with your day.

  3. #3
    As for the clasp, this video will tell you everything you need to know:

    https://youtu.be/-hsYF6e2cCw

    Enjoy your new watch and don't forget to show us some pics!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by glacierjb View Post
    Welcome to the Bremont family, Philip! Glad you found one of the most supportive watch forums on the net lol.

    I believe a crash course on the basics of your watch is in order.

    Your Bremont is an automatic mechanical watch, which means that there is no battery or electronics of any sort inside. The power comes from a spring aka the mainspring (in principle much like a pullback motor toy car). And you charge the mainspring by winding it.

    There are two ways you can wind your Bremont:

    1. Manual winding:
    Keep the crown at position 1 (not pulling it out at all), and rotate the crown clockwise with your fingers in a pinching manner. If your watch isn't running at all, rotating the crown 20-30 times should be enough to get you going.

    2. Automatic winding:
    "Automatic" means that your watch is charged just by being strapped to your wrist! Specifically, the daily movement of your arm turns a weighted rotor inside the watch, which in turn winds the mainspring.

    In short, if your watch stops running (which it will if you leave it sitting on a desk for 40 or so hours), proceed with Manual winding.

    If your watch is running, just strap it on and get on with your day.


    Thanks for the warm welcoming glacierjb!! Really appreciate your help!

    Your explanation was very precise and helped a lot! Now I understand how it works! I manually did the winding and the watch started working again

    Still havent figured out how to open the part where the little pin is though. I also saw that video yesterday but its not very clear on how to open the buckle where the logo "Bremont" is written. Dont really want to put much pressure on it since I might break it. Do you have any other suggestions?

    On the video he says something about the mechanism on 0:18 seconds that it opens the pins, but that doesnt seem to do the trick. Never owned a strap like this before, so I have no idea how to this.

    Tried to upload some pics but the uploader doesnt seem to work. Will try again later.

    Thanks a million for your help!

  5. #5
    Hey Philip, welcome and good luck in your watch collecting and learning.

    Glacier gave you good info on your watch movement. Since you're new to mechanicals be careful when setting the date on this model that you don't change the date when you have the hour hand between 2100 and 0300.

    Some of those clasp pins are very stiff when brand new. I have had success sliding in a small piece of stiff plastic that won't scratch the metal and using leverage to pop open the pin. Make sure that once you feed the strap through that the pin is secure and locked!

    Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
    Hey Philip, welcome and good luck in your watch collecting and learning.

    Glacier gave you good info on your watch movement. Since you're new to mechanicals be careful when setting the date on this model that you don't change the date when you have the hour hand between 2100 and 0300.

    Some of those clasp pins are very stiff when brand new. I have had success sliding in a small piece of stiff plastic that won't scratch the metal and using leverage to pop open the pin. Make sure that once you feed the strap through that the pin is secure and locked!

    Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    Great advice Viper .... something that needs to be remembered for all Valjoux 7750 derived chronographs, I have to be similarly careful with my older Breitlings, Tag Heuer Calibre 16s, Graham, Montblanc, etc

  7. #7
    Welcome to the Forum Philip and congratulations on your choice of Bremont. The ALT1-C cream dial is a real icon.

    You have now received some great advice from glacierjb and vipereaper on how your watch works, and hopefully now you will get many years of pleasure and good wear from it. That's one of the benefits of joining this Forum.

    There's no substitute for personal help.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by glacierjb View Post
    As for the clasp, this video will tell you everything you need to know:

    https://youtu.be/-hsYF6e2cCw

    Enjoy your new watch and don't forget to show us some pics!
    Thanks for posting this. I could not figure out how to 'easily' adjust the clasp. I was using my watch tool to remove the spring pin to adjust. I knew there had to be an easier way to to it.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
    Hey Philip, welcome and good luck in your watch collecting and learning.

    Glacier gave you good info on your watch movement. Since you're new to mechanicals be careful when setting the date on this model that you don't change the date when you have the hour hand between 2100 and 0300.

    Some of those clasp pins are very stiff when brand new. I have had success sliding in a small piece of stiff plastic that won't scratch the metal and using leverage to pop open the pin. Make sure that once you feed the strap through that the pin is secure and locked!

    Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    Thanks Viper! it was very stiff but that worked great! I am now enjoying my watch! In the manual it says I shouldnt change the date between 8 and 2. Just to be safe i should not change the date from 8 to 3 then.

    Thank you all for your warm welcoming! really! This is the start of a long... long friendship! I can tell that
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bremont.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	3192  

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gloucestershire, UK
    Posts
    860
    Hi Philip

    Welcome to the forum, it's alway nice to meet new people here. A friendly bunch always ready to offer a helping hand if needed, don't be shy in coming forward with any other issues!! Love your new watch, one of my favourites on the bucket list!!

    Gavin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Top Watch Sites