Thread: Quartz: Second fiddle or good alternative

Quartz: Second fiddle or good alternative

I was just wondering what folks here thought about quartz watches? I know the "premium level" is mechanical, it's what we all love and it's the method of movement that powers the most expensive examples of the art so the logical conclusion is that it's above and beyond quartz movements. I also understand some folks have a fairly snobbish attitude to quartz.... But is it justified? The reason I'm asking: I've been looking at quartz watches recently to power a possible weekend "basher". My current basher - my beloved silver and blue Oris Divers - is mechanical and while I really dig that, I'm getting a bit bored of having to wind it up every Friday or Saturday morning. A high level quartz basher - like a second hand Breitling Colt or Tag Aquaracer - would be perfect for me since I could just pull it on and go without worrying about resetting it (or accuracy issues, hopefully). So what do folks think? Good idea or crossing the line and breaking the Brotherhood of Mechanicals code?
    Bremont U2 SS
    Omega Speedmaster Pro
    Oris TT1 Divers - white dial / blue bezel
    Suunto Traverse

I think there is much in what you say - most of us have engaged with quartz watches at some point in our lives, I certainly have. I find them lacking in 'soul' a bit like CD's but as a committed vinyl junkie I would say that wouldn't I! For some while I lusted after a Longines VHP which ticked all the boxes for me but due to inertia I did nothing about it wearing a trusty Lorus (which in turn had replaced a Pulsar) for several years - high end this was not!! I then went to a Bristol Owners' Club dinner, sat next to a chap wearing a Victory and the rest is history.

I feel no compulsion to bring my sorry collection of quartz watches out of a well deserved retirement, they did their duty on the ground as well as in the air, it's mechanical for me now on - my first mechanical watch was an Avia worn at school! Please keep us posted in your quest for a 'high level quartz basher'!

Gavin
    Last edited by Sunray02; 05-31-2015 at 03:43 PM.

Thanks Gavin, yeah, I can see that. I'm pretty tempted by this actually: Tag Heuer Aquaracer big date And this too B&R BR02.That said I'm in no rush...
    Last edited by turbohobbit; 05-31-2015 at 06:51 PM.
    Bremont U2 SS
    Omega Speedmaster Pro
    Oris TT1 Divers - white dial / blue bezel
    Suunto Traverse

I think both have pros and cons, so it is very much personal opinion. I, however, am not immune to Quartz watches - I own a few. They cannot (and will not) replace the mechanical watches that started off the obsession with watches and later, Bremont. They're the same, but still very different.

Having said that, though, the new Breitling Emergency II would maybe force a Bremont off my wrist - if only whilst flying. It is *very* expensive though, and part of me only wants to pay that for something with a 'heart'!

J.

If you want a weekend beater go for Seiko titanium solar chronographs!!!
    No need to change batteries.
    I've had a Seiko solar titanium diver for 15 years with no issues and it's been on numerous tough canoeing trips in the north and suffered all sorts of abuse and it's still working perfectly.

I think turbohobbit may have been referring to the BR03-88, a very nice Quartz. I had one and would pick it over a Breitling, at least it has some style. You can also get into the whole replacement strap game too.

That said, the operation of the BR03-88 functions using the crown to "spin" to a function and then press to run or set takes some getting used to. Thinking back to my cockpit days it would have been almost impossible with our nomex/leather gloves. They can be found at good prices on the secondary market though.

I really like the Omega X-33 SI but $5000?

My go-to daily watch is a Casio Pathfinder Quartz which is very readable, accurate, multifunctional and, best yet, I don't care what happens to it.

Though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death I fear no evil because the RF-4C is one fast son of a b........

Quote Originally Posted by spyvito View Post

That said, the operation of the BR03-88 functions using the crown to "spin" to a function and then press to run or set takes some getting used to. Thinking back to my cockpit days it would have been almost impossible with our nomex/leather gloves. They can be found at good prices on the secondary market though.
    I believe it uses the same ETA movement that is found in the Aerospace, hence the spinning crown. I have tried using a friends Aerospace whilst flying in gloves, and it isn't easy!

J.