Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering Bremont

Considering Bremont

Hello All,

For a long time I've been looking at getting an automatic watch as something a bit special. I'm probably not going to become a collector but a the same time I don't want to have the same watch as the next guy. I've been aware of Bremont as a brand for the last few years, mainly from seeing the logo on the side of a few vintage aircraft and for their Rowing themed Leander watch. I used to row and coach rowers so I'm fairly familiar with Henley which is another point of interest with the Brand.

A lot of the other brand watches I'd consider are very nice but don't have anything personal that resonates with my interests, then I read about the DH-88. I grew up in Mildenhall and airbase is a huge part of the town and surrounding area, I even did school projects on the local history of the area including the early years of the aerodrome. The DH-88 model has that little bit of personal interest that helps justify the purchase it's a bit different to the Seamasters and other divers watches that I see on a daily basis.

I'm trying to get to terms with a few other aspects, for example can or should you wear such a nice watch as (best) daily. I generally prefer metal bracelets would it be sacrilege to swap straps. Are the limited edition watches numbered and if so can you select a number of choice if available? It wouldn't be the last watch I buy but it's not beeing bought with the intention of resale value in a few years time.

Any thoughts or advice welcome.

Hi Ninebolts, welcome to the forum! I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Q: Can or should you wear such a nice watch as (best) daily?

Of course you can, it's your watch and you can do what you want! Anything you happen to damage, you can have replaced at a service - from the case, right down to the smallest screw. Worry not, thought, it takes a lot to damage a Bremont!

Q: Would it be sacrilege to swap straps?

When it comes to changing straps, you can wear it whatever you wish on your own watch - it doesn't matter what others think! The only issue I can seeeith changing the DH88 to a bracelet would be that Bremont don't make end links that fit the DH88 case at the moment. That is, unless standard ALT1-C links fit, as the case/lugs are the same diameter - but I can't guarantee that they do. Any of their leather straps will fit just fine, though.

Q: Are the limited edition watches numbered and if so can you select a number of choice if available?

When it comes to limited edition ('LE') pieces, they are all numbered. When you order, if the number you want is available, you can ask to have it - it is a very popular thing to do, so it's generally a wise idea to reserve the number you like early, especially if it has special meaning to you.

Q: It's not being bought with the intention of resale value in a few years time.

That is wise! Whilst we all hope that the LE pieces rise in value - and generally speaking, Bremont do - you can never guarantee it. Especially, as we've seen over the past few days elsewhere that Authorised Dealers can be a little flexible with their pricing structure!

I hope you stick around - we don't bite!
    J.
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 09-25-2016 at 03:52 PM.

The DH88 would be a fantastic first choice Bremont. If you plan on keeping it for a while it will be a good purchase. If history is a indicator it should retain market value well and may even go up. You just need to get past the initial release (where some may sell while still available). Look at the EP120, P-51, Victory, Codebreaker... all doing well in the re-sale department. And it is a absolute beauty! Good luck and hope you can pick one up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -----------------------------------------------
    Current Bremont Watch List:
    Bremont P-51, ALT1-C, ALT1-B, AC1, Alt1tude SE

The Other Stuff:
    Rolex, Oak & Oscar, ML Ponto S Diver, Longines, Seiko, G-Shock, Tag Heuer

Cool

I dropped into the shop earlier in the week to take a look at the range of watches and check for size on the wrist.

They didn't have a DH-88 in at the time but checked out similar watches and have put the deposit down for the DH-88. Will need go back later when they have the watch back on display so that I can decide if I want additional straps.

I'm quite tempted to get a leather strap and deployment buckle and let the original gator skin survive for the future.

Now the wait

Quote Originally Posted by NineBolts View Post
    I dropped into the shop earlier in the week to take a look at the range of watches and check for size on the wrist.

They didn't have a DH-88 in at the time but checked out similar watches and have put the deposit down for the DH-88. Will need go back later when they have the watch back on display so that I can decide if I want additional straps.

I'm quite tempted to get a leather strap and deployment buckle and let the original gator skin survive for the future.

Now the wait
    Good stuff NineBolts! Leather on deployment is a good choice - it tends to prolong the life of the strap, and also the engineering of the clasp is pretty cool in itself. Not particularly cheap, though!

J.

Cool

I recently dropped in to the Bremont Mayfair and took a look at the nearest equivalent they had to the DH-88. Was very impressed and placed my order and now have to wait until it's ready. I'll probably pop back in when they next have the display model so I can check out some strap options.

I wanted a low-ish number (72) but that was gone. I have a few alternatives but I'm curious about how people have chosen their numbers, I started off with birth year, number made of birth month/day day/month and now thinking about day of year.

Quote Originally Posted by NineBolts View Post

I wanted a low-ish number (72) but that was gone. I have a few alternatives but I'm curious about how people have chosen their numbers, I started off with birth year, number made of birth month/day day/month and now thinking about day of year.
    They're all common ones. I know some people choose significant others birthdays too, especially if the watch will be handed to them in the future. Obviously the exception to this is the number one - everyone wants that number, but few of us will ever get it!

J.

Considering Bremont Too

I've been Considering Bremont as well and must admit this thread has helped e decide.

NineBolts,

As a fellow junior member and owner of only one Bremont, I can tell you it was one of the best decisions I ever made. At first I was hesitant to wear it more than once every week or so until others were adamant that it could be a daily wear. I have since worn it daily for almost a year now and it is still in amazing condition. I also have mine on a bracelet and I love it!! There are some that don't like it on a bracelet and the bracelet has very minor drawbacks that pales in comparison to how nice it looks!! I am of course a little biased. Finally, although you will get a "number" on your timepiece, you will never be just a number to Bremont, their customer service really is that good.

~Brandon
    Last edited by rnodrvr; 10-05-2016 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rnodrvr View Post
    NineBolts,

As a fellow junior member and owner of only one Bremont, I can tell you it was one of the best decisions I ever made. At first I was hesitant to wear it more than once every week or so until others were adamant that it could be a daily wear. I have since worn it daily for almost a year now and it is still in amazing condition. I also have mine on a bracelet and I love it!! There are some that don't like it on a bracelet and the bracelet has very minor drawbacks that pales in comparison to how nice it looks!! I am of course a little biased. Finally, although you will get a "number" on your timepiece, you will never be just a number to Bremont, their customer service really is that good.

~Brandon
    Well said, Brandon!