Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Bremont Article on ABTW

Interesting Bremont Article on ABTW

I wanted to share this article that was recently published by James (AnalogShift) over at aBlogToWatch.com.

As many of you know, James specializes in collecting and selling vintage watches, but over the past few years he has come to highly respect Bremont, and mentions that the ONLY modern watch he owns and wears is the Bremont Norton. He is careful to mention that he doesn't approve of how the BWC/01 announcement played out during the release of the Wright Flyer, but takes the opportunity to write some nice things about the brand and their vision to encourage his readers not to dismiss the brand due to one screw-up.

What do you guys think of this article?

I think that it is fair, well written and thankfully not given over to the normal sack cloth and ashes hysteria over the Wright Flyer that accompanies most Bremont articles these days.
    Last edited by Smegwina; 03-31-2015 at 04:59 PM.

When it comes to the WF debate, and without wishing to spark it off again, here's my thoughts given the above article.

I've mentioned this to everyone that I've spoken to on the subject. In my opinion, the only reason it panned out to the 'storm in a teacup' it was, is because that we (as watch collectors/writers/fans) are fastidious when it comes to the fine details, with the pinnacle - and often first thing that grabs our attention - being the movement.

In other situations and circumstances, it probably wouldn't have even be mentioned, yet alone called over and to a certain degree, ridiculed, by the media. For example, do people care that Skoda cars are pretty much a Volkswagen underneath? No. Do people worry who makes the processor in their phone, as long as it says 'iPhone' on the outside? Probably not.

In all - the WF is a very cool watch. It should be looked at from the perspective of what is sets out to showcase (the Wright Flyer) and attention should be drawn to the fact it contains some of that aeroplane. Yes, the movement is/was a big deal to some. To others, it matters not.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    When it comes to the WF debate, and without wishing to spark it off again, here's my thoughts given the above article.

I've mentioned this to everyone that I've spoken to on the subject. In my opinion, the only reason it panned out to the 'storm in a teacup' it was, is because that we (as watch collectors/writers/fans) are fastidious when it comes to the fine details, with the pinnacle - and often first thing that grabs our attention - being the movement.

In other situations and circumstances, it probably wouldn't have even be mentioned, yet alone called over and to a certain degree, ridiculed, by the media. For example, do people care that Skoda cars are pretty much a Volkswagen underneath? No. Do people worry who makes the processor in their phone, as long as it says 'iPhone' on the outside? Probably not.

In all - the WF is a very cool watch. It should be looked at from the perspective of what is sets out to showcase (the Wright Flyer) and attention should be drawn to the fact it contains some of that aeroplane. Yes, the movement is/was a big deal to some. To others, it matters not.

J.

Agree totally.

Most people who own Bremonts, including the WF (outside of the forums etc) give not a hoot what is inside their watch.

Whilst the furore was going on in the horological media and forums, the bast majority of Bremonts target audience were completely unaware.

Bremont seem to be a brand that everyone loves to hate for some reason. No idea why!
    Last edited by Smegwina; 03-31-2015 at 05:39 PM.

"Bremont seem to be a brand that everyone loves to hate for some reason. No idea why!"

My take on that statement is this:-

Not being a watch collector or "watch groupie" I had no interest in watches other than "does it look nice and tell the time". Until recently I could probably have only named a couple of watch brands. I had never heard of the Bremont brand until I saw the watches in a jeweller's window. I was immediately attracted to the Alt1C-Cr and after a bit of research I purchased one.

During my research I read many articles about the Bremont company and their watches. I also read various watch forums including this one. These articles dated back from the early days of Bremont to the present.

During the course of this it was apparent that Bremont was initially disliked by many because it was seen as the "new kid on the block". "How could they possibly know anything about watches". "They have no heritage". "They are untried, unknown and because of this they are over priced etc etc"

It became very apparent that the watch establishment don't like change or competition.

As I read through the articles and forums it was funny to see how many of the detractors opinions changed over the years and began to accept the watches as being a quality product and the company as being a good company.

I formed the opinion that there is an unbelievable amount of "watch snobbery and prejudice" when it comes to watches and as in all cases of snobbery and prejudice, the people who practice it can not offer any rational explanation for it. I found nothing of any substance to put me off purchasing the watch but I did find many, many things about the Bremont company and their products that I liked and admired and as such bought the watch and it reinforced my initial thoughts " it looks nice and tells the time".

I think GaG speaks for many of us - most eloquently in my view, he certainly expresses himself better than I could have done on the subject. My own exposure to Bremont was a few years ago when I saw a Victory on the wrist of a fellow Bristol owner, it was love at first sight and when I learnt about the aviation connection I was hooked! Hope the opening of a boutique in NYC really pays off for the company, a service centre should also be a big plus on the other side of the pond!

Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by GaG View Post
    "Bremont seem to be a brand that everyone loves to hate for some reason. No idea why!"

My take on that statement is this:-

Not being a watch collector or "watch groupie" I had no interest in watches other than "does it look nice and tell the time". Until recently I could probably have only named a couple of watch brands. I had never heard of the Bremont brand until I saw the watches in a jeweller's window. I was immediately attracted to the Alt1C-Cr and after a bit of research I purchased one.

During my research I read many articles about the Bremont company and their watches. I also read various watch forums including this one. These articles dated back from the early days of Bremont to the present.

During the course of this it was apparent that Bremont was initially disliked by many because it was seen as the "new kid on the block". "How could they possibly know anything about watches". "They have no heritage". "They are untried, unknown and because of this they are over priced etc etc"

It became very apparent that the watch establishment don't like change or competition.

As I read through the articles and forums it was funny to see how many of the detractors opinions changed over the years and began to accept the watches as being a quality product and the company as being a good company.

I formed the opinion that there is an unbelievable amount of "watch snobbery and prejudice" when it comes to watches and as in all cases of snobbery and prejudice, the people who practice it can not offer any rational explanation for it. I found nothing of any substance to put me off purchasing the watch but I did find many, many things about the Bremont company and their products that I liked and admired and as such bought the watch and it reinforced my initial thoughts " it looks nice and tells the time".
    It was kinda a rhetorical question but thanks for taking the time to write the answer and I agree with most if what you say!

At the end of the day, the young pups and upstarts of Bremont have threatened the establishment and they don't like it.

As you say, there is a huge amount of snobbery within the watch world and normally rational people suddenly become extremely unreasonable!

The case on the Bremont watch will rival and beat out most watches it goes head to head with in regards to case design alone. I have experienced 3 Bremont watches in the past year and all 3 watches have exceeded my expectations. I wasn't always a Bremont fan either. I just did a write up on this very subject if anyone cares to read it.
    https://greatmazinger.wordpress.com/...rwised-missed/

Quote Originally Posted by Great_mazinger View Post
    The case on the Bremont watch will rival and beat out most watches it goes head to head with in regards to case design alone. I have experienced 3 Bremont watches in the past year and all 3 watches have exceeded my expectations. I wasn't always a Bremont fan either. I just did a write up on this very subject if anyone cares to read it.
    https://greatmazinger.wordpress.com/...rwised-missed/
    Great article which I fully agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by GaG View Post
    Great article which I fully agree with.
    Thank you!!!!