Thread: ALT1-ZT Question

ALT1-ZT Question

Hello gentlemen. I've not (yet) owned a GMT so forgive a rookie question; how would one use the roto-click bezel on the ALT1-ZT? I understand the concept of setting the GMT hand to a second time zone; is the rotating bezel intended to provide a third time-zone by rotating it the appropriate number of hours ahead/behind the hour hand? This is all I can come up with - please enlighten me. Thanks in advance!
    - Tony

https://luxurywatchsite.wordpress.com/

As far as I know, you can set the roto click to the 24h at the 12 o clock position and adjust the gmt hand to your home time (fixed) and when you are traveling all you have to do is adjust the hour hands. Alternatively you can adjust the gmt hands to your 2nd time zone while the hour hand is your home time.

The roto click bezel comes in handy now when you want to quickly check another time zone quickly, if you know Bangkok for example is +7 just adjust 7 to the 12 o clock position and whatever the gmt hand is pointing to would be Bangkok's time.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very comprehensive explanation, Calsoertj!

I personally find the best use of the rotating bezel is to sync it to GMT, i.e. when bezel triangle is on top, GMT hand points to "20" when GMT is 8PM). While the main hour hand shows the local time of wherever you're located.

The benefit is that you can track as many timezones as you fancy by just turning the rotoclick! Using Bangkok GMT +7 as example again, all you need to do is rotate the bezel so that "7" is on top, the GMT hand would then be pointing at Bangkok time.

But then the downside with this method on most GMT watches (except, say, the Rolex GMT Master II) is that when you adjust the main hour hand as you travel, the GMT hand moves along with it. So if you travel to different timezones a lot, you'll be recalibrating the main hour and GMT hands quite often lol.

The most convenient way I suppose would be to just adjust the GMT hand to the local destination, end of story. But I just don't like using the GMT hands as the local time zone, I believe it has to be home time, first world problems

Got it! Thanks for the great explanations.
    - Tony

https://luxurywatchsite.wordpress.com/