Thread: Watch winder good or bad

Watch winder good or bad

So I have one automatic watch that I wear now and just purchased my first Bremont today.

My question is this, is it better for the watch to be kept on an automatic watch winder when not being worn or better to just reset after inactivity? I don't have a winder currently, I just reset the watch when it is its turn to be worn.

Will the winder mean the watch will need to be serviced sooner than letting it wind down or is losing power and resetting worse for the watch. Thanks from a newbie.

Bob

This is a perennial argument on watch forums, and you will surely hear both views.

For several years, I was in the 'winders are not necessary and they cause more wear' camp, but a couple of years ago, I decided to move to the dark side... I am now happy with the convenience of the winder, and also convinced that my watches run more accurately due to the continual use.

If my watches need more frequent servicing, so be it.

Richard

Richard - I totally agree with your line of thinking, watches like classic cars and aircraft appreciate being used - no good keeping them tucked away in a drawer, garage or hangar!

Gavin

Any recommendations on a good winder?

Like everything else, there is a vast range of winders available - with a very wide range of price tags. I wanted something controllable, quiet and reasonably good looking, but having decided winders were a good idea, I wanted sufficient slots for most of my automatic watches.

I chose a reasonably low-cost solution, with two of these boxes...

I got them from eBay. They work.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Uhrenbeweg...item5af88641b3

Richard