Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: New MBIII Issue

  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    50
    David - so glad to hear that your wife came out the other side of her illness.

    I'm afraid I'm with TH on this one. As regular readers may or may not have noticed, I've been toying with the idea of a World Timer. The funds have been in place for a short while now, but I found myself holding back (which is most unusual!) following the Wright Flyer debacle and a number of reports of faulty watches. In other words, I'd lost faith in Bremont as a quality brand.

    I have a small collection of watches (seven) which have been collected over the last five or six years, across five different brands. Not one has had any issue that has required me to take it back to the dealer.

    Of my collection, only one cost more than a World Timer so it would be a considerable purchase for me (and one that I still struggle to justify to my wife!). I just have this image of spending all that money, and being disappointed if there was an issue.

    Great customer service is a positive for the brand, but the fact that it comes up in forums so often is ringing warning bells for me.

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by StackH View Post
    David - so glad to hear that your wife came out the other side of her illness.

    I'm afraid I'm with TH on this one. As regular readers may or may not have noticed, I've been toying with the idea of a World Timer. The funds have been in place for a short while now, but I found myself holding back (which is most unusual!) following the Wright Flyer debacle and a number of reports of faulty watches. In other words, I'd lost faith in Bremont as a quality brand.

    I have a small collection of watches (seven) which have been collected over the last five or six years, across five different brands. Not one has had any issue that has required me to take it back to the dealer.

    Of my collection, only one cost more than a World Timer so it would be a considerable purchase for me (and one that I still struggle to justify to my wife!). I just have this image of spending all that money, and being disappointed if there was an issue.

    Great customer service is a positive for the brand, but the fact that it comes up in forums so often is ringing warning bells for me.
    Hi Stacey. Thanks for that.

    In truth I agree entirely with TH because I think Bremont are overstretching themselves and are struggling to keep up with demand ( see my post in reply to Salon QP) however I also do think that it is not solely a problem that is unique to Bremont, and the last thing Bremont need is adverse reaction at this early stage of their existence.

    However I also think that people really should try and remember how soon into their existence Bremont is at - sadly even I wasn't around when Hans Wilsdorff founded Rolex so have no idea how many of his watches were problematic (!) and no one has complained about a Bremont dial changing colour yet but people will have kept faith with them, Breitling, Omega, Patek et al, and look where they are today with many years behind them, massively bigger budgets to play with and with infrastructures way beyond Henley.

    As I sell Bremont and have sold many, many other high-end brands over the last 37 years, I will defend them despite the issues that are being talked about here. I don't know how many watches they are making each year now, but I imagine that the number that have had issues is a small fraction. I agree too, that in a perfect world everything should be perfect- but it ain't - and I have already commended the people who have shown great patience when they, quite understandably, have been disappointed with their watch or how it has behaved.

    Anyway I'll shut up about this now as I'm getting boring

  3. #33
    I think we have all confidence thats matters will be sorted. Just a shame QC is not what it should be. Also, unfortuantely on most other forums there is still some lingering concern about the in-house debacle. I think the next two years will be really important in terms of brand development and longer term market position. My advice would be to consolidate the current stable and reduce the LE's. Just my 2p

  4. #34
    Yup the underlying message here seems consistent.. Bremont quality isn't what it used to be anymore.

    Unlike other major brands that have been around since the Stone Age, both potential and current customer confidence can be easily shaken by QC and PR issues as they signal further underlying issues. Especially the ones brought to attention on forums lately. It seems to me that's the short term impact following the Wright Flyer LE's introduction.

    While Bremont has a brand to rapidly grow to not look stale, imho taking a no-compromise approach for the current offerings is still far more important than pushing out new LEs. Hurrying out major projects / partnerships like Wright, Jaguar and Chivas may create a momentum that's hard for Bremont to keep up...

  5. #35
    Senior Member turbohobbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    However I also think that people really should try and remember how soon into their existence Bremont is at - sadly even I wasn't around when Hans Wilsdorff founded Rolex so have no idea how many of his watches were problematic (!) and no one has complained about a Bremont dial changing colour yet but people will have kept faith with them, Breitling, Omega, Patek et al, and look where they are today with many years behind them, massively bigger budgets to play with and with infrastructures way beyond Henley.
    Quote Originally Posted by glacierjb View Post
    Unlike other major brands that have been around since the Stone Age, both potential and current customer confidence can be easily shaken by QC and PR issues as they signal further underlying issues. Especially the ones brought to attention on forums lately. It seems to me that's the short term impact following the Wright Flyer LE's introduction. While Bremont has a brand to rapidly grow to not look stale, imho taking a no-compromise approach for the current offerings is still far more important than pushing out new LEs. Hurrying out major projects / partnerships like Wright, Jaguar and Chivas may create a momentum that's hard for Bremont to keep up...
    And that, gents, I think is actually the nub of the issue here. It could well be that the likes of Rolex, Omega, Patek, etc etc had a dreadful time of it when they started out BUT they were able to unwittingly enjoy two advantages:

    1) Their watches were (and arguably for some models still are) unobtainable to all but a very privileged few, who would be much less likely to complain about the quality of the piece and instead bask on the glory of being able to afford something the vast majority of the populace couldn't

    and

    2) They started out out when even the mass media of the printed newspaper was a fledgling idea.

    These days, due to increases in disposable income, a general desire by most to own shiny things, and the explosion of both mass and social media, more people are able to buy these luxury pieces and more people are able to complain publicly to a wider audience when things go wrong. Like it or not, unlike their ancient brethren, new companies - not only Bremont but the likes of Pinion too - HAVE to do things 100% perfectly, 100% of the time. To not puts them at risk of public complaint / whisperings which will ruin a company in ways that Rolex et al couldn't even comprehend when they first started out. Of course it could be argued that much of the criticism towards Bremont is kept to specialist interest-group sites on social media and the general public remain blissfully unaware of the recent problems Bremont has suffered, but this I think would be a naive viewpoint. If I were in the market to buy a new luxury watch and I didn't know anything about the subject I would do my research. And I think many folks know at least one person in their circle of acquaintances who has an interest in watches and would be aware of Bremont's issues and would alert me (as an unknowledgable purchaser) to the stories. The point I'm trying to make here is: just because these stories may originate and be based in niche social media, you must assume in this day and age that the whispering WILL eventually reach the population at large.

    Of course, we are only human, and accidents happen, mistakes are made, and problems occur. That's life. But nowadays the more problems and mishaps get reported on (social) media the more damage is done to a company's reputation and the longer it takes to recover. Bremont's public image may start to look a bit shaky in this regard.

    I agree wholeheartedly with others. Bremont have come a long way in the last few years, achieved a lot of good things. But now is the time to put the new models, LEs, and special collaborations to one side and instead consolidate what it has, work on refining the models already in the portfolio, and (re)build its reputation in the eyes of the watch-buying public.
    Last edited by turbohobbit; 10-18-2014 at 08:26 AM.
    Bremont U2 SS
    Omega Speedmaster Pro
    Oris TT1 Divers - white dial / blue bezel
    Suunto Traverse

  6. #36
    I have currently no Bremont's in my small collection. I will probably buy again in the future. However, I am still interested in the brand and will continue to post here. Lets hope the message gets through re quality and limited product development.

  7. #37

    New MBIII Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by turbohobbit View Post
    And that, gents, I think is actually the nub of the issue here. It could well be that the likes of Rolex, Omega, Patek, etc etc had a dreadful time of it when they started out BUT they were able to unwittingly enjoy two advantages:

    1) Their watches were (and arguably for some models still are) unobtainable to all but a very privileged few, who would be much less likely to complain about the quality of the piece and instead bask on the glory of being able to afford something the vast majority of the populace couldn't

    and

    2) They started out out when even the mass media of the printed newspaper was a fledgling idea.

    These days, due to increases in disposable income, a general desire by most to own shiny things, and the explosion of both mass and social media, more people are able to buy these luxury pieces and more people are able to complain publicly to a wider audience when things go wrong. Like it or not, unlike their ancient brethren, new companies - not only Bremont but the likes of Pinion too - HAVE to do things 100% perfectly, 100% of the time. To not puts them at risk of public complaint / whisperings which will ruin a company in ways that Rolex et al couldn't even comprehend when they first started out. Of course it could be argued that much of the criticism towards Bremont is kept to specialist interest-group sites on social media and the general public remain blissfully unaware of the recent problems Bremont has suffered, but this I think would be a naive viewpoint. If I were in the market to buy a new luxury watch and I didn't know anything about the subject I would do my research. And I think many folks know at least one person in their circle of acquaintances who has an interest in watches and would be aware of Bremont's issues and would alert me (as an unknowledgable purchaser) to the stories. The point I'm trying to make here is: just because these stories may originate and be based in niche social media, you must assume in this day and age that the whispering WILL eventually reach the population at large.

    Of course, we are only human, and accidents happen, mistakes are made, and problems occur. That's life. But nowadays the more problems and mishaps get reported on (social) media the more damage is done to a company's reputation and the longer it takes to recover. Bremont's public image may start to look a bit shaky in this regard.

    I agree wholeheartedly with others. Bremont have come a long way in the last few years, achieved a lot of good things. But now is the time to put the new models, LEs, and special collaborations to one side and instead consolidate what it has, work on refining the models already in the portfolio, and (re)build its reputation in the eyes of the watch-buying public.
    ^ This.
    Love my mid 400's serial number MBII which has been faultless, built when few had heard of the brand. Had an issue with an ALT1-C that was previously a grail watch, never bonded with it after that, moved it on.
    Would be wary of buying anything again, unless it was pre owned and running perfectly.
    I'm not in the income bracket to be buying most watches new so maybe I'm not the kind of Bremont owner they need to be most concerned about, but I've been evangelistic about them for years - becoming more reluctant lately for sure.
    Johnny.

  8. #38
    There's a similar thread on the Christopher Ward form concerning one of their dive watches. There's a big price difference between CW and Bremont but the feelings about the faulty watches are the same.

  9. #39

    New MBIII Issue

    Sorry but I have been will Bremont since the early days. My Supermarine was number 53! These problems are not new! Out of my 3 Bremonts, every one has been back to Bremont for some issue or another. You can't blame everything on the age of Bremont as the movements are certainly not new.

    Now you can say that the customer service is good and will sort out any issues but even this has started to deteriorate from its early high standards.

    I will certainly not trust them will another 3-4k of my money and definitely not 11k for their continually increasing overpriced specials!

    I was a Bremont advocate but now after my experiences and treatment from Bremont I suppose I am now the opposite. I don't know what they could do to bring me back round. It has been hard not to speak out about them on other Forums but i am not out to damage them and will just keep my views and my displeasure with their poor service here.

    I am sure I will move on my Bremonts at some point but something is stopping me at the moment...hope I suppose!
    Last edited by Paw3001; 10-18-2014 at 01:14 PM.

  10. #40
    Administrator jwalker9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,405
    Gentlemen, I think this thread has reached its limit in purpose. For those of us who wanted to voice concerns over QC issues, rest assure they've been heard. At this point, I feel we are beating a dead horse, so I'm going to close this thread. If there's something new to add, feel free to start a new one to keep us updated.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Top Watch Sites