Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New MBIII Issue

New MBIII Issue

OK, all you MBIII owners out there (or anyone else who may have a thought) - I've been wearing my new MBIII almost continuously since I took delivery around 3 weeks ago. I am experiencing my first issue with it.

I was (obsessively, compulsively) checking the time earlier today against the atomic clock. I noticed that the 24 hour hand appeared to have advanced about 3 hours beyond where it should have been based upon the setting that I had previously made. Strange, I thought. But anyway, I moved the hand per the instructions in the manual, but now the 24 hour hand is about 1/2 hour off. In other words, assume for simplicity that the hour and minute hand are at 6:00 pm EDT, and the 24 hour hand is supposed to be synchronized with that (at 1800 on the 24 hour dial), it is not; rather the 24 hour hand sits between the 1800 and 1900 on the outer indicator (i.e., roughly showing 6:30 pm EDT).

Any thoughts on how to try to correct this issue before sending the watch back to Bremont?

Thanks for your help -

Scott

Is it me, but I wonder what percentage for watches coming out of Bremont since they set up in Henley, have had to be returned back to them for one thing or another.

You might try this. Set the minute and hour hand to six o'clock with the minute hand at 12 and the hour hand at 6. Then rotate the GMT hand around a whole 24 hours and see if the hand stops or clicks on each hour. If it does then set it on the GMT hour for your time zone at 6 o'clock. Now advance the minute and hour hands to the correct time. If the date is now off just advance it all the way around until the day before and then advance the minute and hour hand forward to change the date at midnight and continue until you have the correct time set. If the GMT hand doesn't follow the hour hand you have a problem. I have been wearing mine for 3 weeks also and she has been awesome with no issues! I have noticed that the top stem can be very sensitive when trying to adjust the second hand after a few days when I want to adjust the time to the second, I know I am anal! But just a slight turn of the stem when you are doing this can mess with the GMT hand or the date! I hope this helps you and its an easy peasy solution! Cheers Jim
    Breitling Navitimer, Omega PO, Rolex Datejust,Platinum Yacht Master ,Rado Sinatra, Bremont MB1,S500 Supermarine, Blue ALT1-P, 37 & 43 White Solos ,Bronze MBIII, White Boeing Model 1, F-16 Viper DLC Blue, and the Wright Flyer! Speake-Marin Wing Commander

Quote Originally Posted by CaptLeslie View Post
    You might try this. Set the minute and hour hand to six o'clock with the minute hand at 12 and the hour hand at 6. Then rotate the GMT hand around a whole 24 hours and see if the hand stops or clicks on each hour. If it does then set it on the GMT hour for your time zone at 6 o'clock. Now advance the minute and hour hands to the correct time. If the date is now off just advance it all the way around until the day before and then advance the minute and hour hand forward to change the date at midnight and continue until you have the correct time set. If the GMT hand doesn't follow the hour hand you have a problem. I have been wearing mine for 3 weeks also and she has been awesome with no issues! I have noticed that the top stem can be very sensitive when trying to adjust the second hand after a few days when I want to adjust the time to the second, I know I am anal! But just a slight turn of the stem when you are doing this can mess with the GMT hand or the date! I hope this helps you and its an easy peasy solution! Cheers Jim
    Thanks Jim. I tried your suggestion. Alas, I guess I have a problem. When turning the minute and hour hands, the 24 hour hand does advance in one hour increments; unfortunately, the increments are advancing from half hour to half hour rather than from hour to hour. I'd be ok I think if I could get the GMT hand to stop on an hour marker (essentially re-setting it I guess) but I can't figure out how to do that. I don't know what (if anything) I did to cause this. Man, am I disappointed.

Scott

Assuming the movement in these is ETA 2893 based, this is a common problem, where the 24 hour hand gets out of sync with the main hands. Apparently, it can be caused by a knock to the watch, but equally, I have seen a number of reports on watch forums, where people say it 'just happened'. It's an easy fix for a watchmaker, but I'm not sure it's a great idea to use a movement with such a reputation in a watch designed to be 'tested beyond endurance'.

Of course, I could be wrong, and it's not a 2893...

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Assuming the movement in these is ETA 2893 based, this is a common problem, where the 24 hour hand gets out of sync with the main hands. Apparently, it can be caused by a knock to the watch, but equally, I have seen a number of reports on watch forums, where people say it 'just happened'. It's an easy fix for a watchmaker, but I'm not sure it's a great idea to use a movement with such a reputation in a watch designed to be 'tested beyond endurance'.

Of course, I could be wrong, and it's not a 2893...
    Hmm assuming that movement is indeed ETA 2893 based, albeit the easy fix, would it be a recurring issue that will plague the watch for life?

I'm seriously considering the MBIII and even persuaded myself to get over the "dependent" GMT hand. Fiddly movement though would be quite deal breaker especially with the anti-shock label lol.

I realise there are different movement codes for the parts used in the Terra Nova. My question is, are these both using same base ETA ?

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg156 View Post
    I realise there are different movement codes for the parts used in the Terra Nova. My question is, are these both using same base ETA ?

Bremont refers to movement in both the MBIII and the TN as BE-93-2AE. I think the "93" refers to the ETA 2893... in the same way as the MBII (day/date) is BE-36AE, referring to the ETA 2836...

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by glacierjb View Post
    Hmm assuming that movement is indeed ETA 2893 based, albeit the easy fix, would it be a recurring issue that will plague the watch for life?

I'm seriously considering the MBIII and even persuaded myself to get over the "dependent" GMT hand. Fiddly movement though would be quite deal breaker especially with the anti-shock label lol.
    Hard to say... The 2893 is a workhorse movement, and it's used in tons of 'robust' watches (Sinn for example). I have owned a few examples, and personally, never had a problem with the GMT hand alignment.

I guess these issues can happen to any watch movement, and I don't suppose it is any real cause for concern or doubt. From my point of view, the "dependent" GMT hand is far more of a deal-breaker than the specific type of movement used..

Richard

I think Bremont's customer service is fantastic. I have experienced this a few times. However, I do think there is a lack of QC that needs to be addressed.