Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New MBIII Issue

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Hard to say... The 2893 is a workhorse movement, and it's used in tons of 'robust' watches (Sinn for example). I have owned a few examples, and personally, never had a problem with the GMT hand alignment.

I guess these issues can happen to any watch movement, and I don't suppose it is any real cause for concern or doubt. From my point of view, the "dependent" GMT hand is far more of a deal-breaker than the specific type of movement used..
    Good points, Rich! Well my only "comfort" is that I only travel to different timezones 2 to 3 times annually, so it's not that much of a hassle personally. Though I still think using the dependent GMT hand was a missed opportunity for the MBIII.

Bit surprised I never noticed the pattern in the Bremont movement naming convention lol. Similar to the ETA 7754 used for the World Timer's BE-54AE I suppose.

In that case, it makes total sense to assume that MBIII's BE-93-2AE is based on the ETA 2893-2. My BALL Engineer Master II GMT II runs on the same movement (with minimal to no modification) and it indeed survived much abuse. No random half clicks whatsoever.

Out of curiosity, would setting the date wheel between 8PM and 2AM cause the GMT hand to slip?

Quote Originally Posted by glacierjb View Post

Out of curiosity, would setting the date wheel between 8PM and 2AM cause the GMT hand to slip?
    Not sure... But I have read plenty of opinions that say changing the date on ETA movements within proximity of 12pm is a recipe for trouble... And I guess the mechanism that drives the 24 hour hand is fundamentally similar to the mechanism that switches the date every 24 hours....

I have always avoided doing that by setting the watch to about 0600 before adjusting the date.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Not sure... But I have read plenty of opinions that say changing the date on ETA movements within proximity of 12pm is a recipe for trouble... And I guess the mechanism that drives the 24 hour hand is fundamentally similar to the mechanism that switches the date every 24 hours....

I have always avoided doing that by setting the watch to about 0600 before adjusting the date.
    Good tip. Thanks!

Agreed Bremont has some work to do on their QC lately... To name a few Terra Nova outer bezel lopsided white dot. watchuseek Anthony's ALT1-C misaligned lug hole...

Scott, I have the exact same problem on my MBlll. My watch has had a minor issue with the top crown but this was sorted very quickly but am now waiting on advice from Bremont on what they are going to do next with regards to the GMT hand out-of-synch problem. It is very disappointing to say the least for a watch that is supposed to go through 'days of testing' for something like this to occur so my faith in the attention to detail etc has taken a bit of a hit but everyone says that the Bremont customer service/support is excellent so we will wait and see.
    Last edited by PM1448; 10-12-2014 at 10:53 AM.

This is just the tip of the iceberg and becoming so very common that I think Bremont best change their slogan before it becomes a trade description issue!

After my experience I will not be touching another Bremont for a very long time!

F
    Quote Originally Posted by PM1448 View Post
    Scott, I have the exact same problem on my MBlll. My watch has had a minor issue with the top crown but this was sorted very quickly but am now waiting on advice from Bremont on what they are going to do next with regards to the GMT hand out-of-synch problem. It is very disappointing to say the least for a watch that is supposed to go through 'days of testing' for something like this to occur so my faith in the attention to detail etc has taken a bit of a hit but everyone says that the Bremont customer service/support is excellent so we will wait and see.
    Very sorry to hear that you're having the same issue. When did you contact Bremont? I emailed them on Friday - with the time difference I haven't heard yet from Bremont HQ, although Michael Pearson has already let me know that the U.S. operation will assist with coordinating shipping if I ask (he is a fine fellow). I am hopeful that this is an issue that can be resolved quickly, but as others on this board have said, my confidence in the QC is a bit shaken at this point. I'm afraid that the issues that I've read about with the new releases could become the start of "death by a thousand cuts" for the brand. Especially given the purported toughness of the watches (particularly the MB line).

Scott, I'm glad that you've reached out to HQ about this issue. I'm sure they'll be getting back in touch with you soon on this matter.

I'm going through my Australian rep who has been fantastic to work with. I'm sure you will have no problems with Bremont - you may need to prod them a couple of times to respond but otherwise I'm sure they will get to you.

Isn't this the problem with Internet forums? You believe that there is a problem because those that post have problems. Maybe the silent majority don't??

Be interesting to know how many MBIII's have been sold and how many have problems as a percentage!
    Bremont Ownership:
    Supersonic SS - LE
    Wright Flyer SS - LE
    1918 WG - LE
    Michael Wong DLC - LE
    Boeing 100 - LE
    Kingsman SS - LE
    Endurance - LE
    ALT1-B
    Altitude SE301
    Boeing 747 (Military)
    Lockheed TriStar (216 Sqn) - DLC (Mlitary)
    Lockheed TriStar (216 Sqn) - SS (Mlitary)

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrover View Post
    Isn't this the problem with Internet forums? You believe that there is a problem because those that post have problems. Maybe the silent majority don't??

Be interesting to know how many MBIII's have been sold and how many have problems as a percentage!
    Not sure I understand your first point - for me, either there is a problem with a watch or there isn't. In this case, this isn't figment of our imagination, there is a problem in that the GMT hand does not align correctly. It isn't just a millimetre out, it's very distinctive problem and makes the watch unfit for purpose (in the sense of relying on the GMT function working properly). If you mean by 'problem' whether it's affecting a handful of MBllls or the entire batch or batches, then, yeah, I agree with this and would be interested to know. I can't imagine that it'd be the entire batch - maybe a batch run of a handful of MBllls - maybe.

As to why the problem exists, who knows - my own opinion is that I think Bremont are over-reaching themselves by producing too many types of watches and perhaps losing focus and attention to detail but this is just speculating. In the end, I don't really care - what I do care about is the after sales service when a brand new watch is not doing the job it was designed to do.
    Last edited by PM1448; 10-13-2014 at 09:30 AM.