Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick English responds to criticism following BCW/01 "In-House" Claims

Nick English responds to criticism following BCW/01 "In-House" Claims

Hodinkee just posted a video filmed yesterday at their NYC HQ featuring Nick English, where he addresses the controversy stemming from the verbiage in the press release for the new Wright Flyer and its BCW/01 Movement. To hear his explanation straight from the source, give it a watch!

After seeing his explanation, what are your thoughts?

Full link to Hodinkee here
    Last edited by jwalker9; 07-30-2014 at 05:52 PM.

There is no doubt that this episode has been a monumental screw-up, but hopefully, this will draw a line under it. Certainly has for me.

Richard

This really blew up in their face and will turn some people off on the brand. Also the price point is totally ridiculous.

What I don't understand is what direction is this brand going in? Limited editions every time you turn around? i don't know, I love their core lineup and some of the new ones, but I'm kind of baffled about what direction they are going in.

When you understand the passion Nick and Giles bring to the brand you can forgive the passion with which they may have described this movement. The brand journey is clear, and on track to bring watch making back to the Uk. Let's not forget that this is a new, small firm operating admirably on a very large global stage. There is no one to follow on this journey; no easy to read manual that says how to do do this and therefore likely some mistakes along the way. But Nick has responded quickly and honestly. A useful lesson learnt no doubt and absolutely no harm done to the brand in my opinion. One day I plan to buy the first fully made in-house movement from Bremont and I'm loving the journey in the meantime (and my three main line Bremonts while I wait...).
    Supersonic LE (no.76]
    1918 LE (no.18)
    MBii Orange
    Alt1-C / CR (sold)
    Alt1- C / PW
    Supermarine S500 BK
    Omega Constellation
    Omega Speedmaster Professional
    Omega de ville co-axel chronometer

Agree with Richard and Dacman - this has been the most embarrassing episode for the company and Nick and Giles personally, hopefully they have learnt a useful lesson on the need for transparency in the internet age. I have no doubt that they did not intend to mislead anyone deliberately and they certainly enjoy my support and confidence. Hope we can move on now!

Gavin

I am a Bremont fan but this is either misrepresentation or gross stupidity. Either does not do the brand any favours

Harsh words! I certainly do not think the English brothers are stupid nor do I think they deliberately set out to misrepresent the situation re. the 'in house' movement. How much damage has been done to the brand - time will tell, in my view more damage has been done by the sky high prices they are charging for the Wright Flyer.

Gavin

Naive?
    Nick is a very charismatic man and his enthusiasm is contagious. But I don't buy it. That is a better response than the first email they sent out, but naive? Come on.

I am just gonna leave for now. I am not a fan boy anymore and I prefer to spend my time on some other stuff. It's been a fun ride. Godspeed.
    No longer a fan boy...

Personally I'm sorry to say that I know nothing about watches other than if I like it or not. I think I'm right in saying that a premium can be asked for watches using in-house movements? So I guess my question would be, was the RRP set on the original understanding of the movement being in-house or not?
    For what it's worth I love the watch.....

I have to say that this is all very disappointing and any watchmaker should know the true meaning of 'in-house', I don't buy that they were simply naive. It's really tainted my opinion of the brand although it's good to see them trying to address the issue.