Thread: Moody's Jewelers - Nantwich, England

Moody's Jewelers - Nantwich, England

For this segment of our Retailer Q & A series, we jump across the pond to the UK to learn about about Moody's. Many of you know David (Oracle) is a Manager at this location, and while being a valuable contributor to this forum over the years, he has also taken care of several of our forum members when shopping for a new watch. I asked David to sit down and answer a few of our questions. If you have any more queries, I'm sure David would be happy to answer for you! Thanks for your time, Oracle!

1– Tell the Alt1tude forum a little about your store- (where it is located, your history, the brands you carry etc…)

I am the Manager of Moodys Jewellers in the historic town of Nantwich, which is in south Cheshire, England. Moodys was founded in 1883 by the Great-Grandfather of current MD Carl Moody, and moved from Crewe to Nantwich in 1999. My own family manufacture jewellery in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter - my Great-Grandfather started Alabaster & Wilson in 1886 and Moodys & A&W have traded together since then. I went into the retail side of the Jewellery trade straight from school in 1977 as there were too many Alabasters in the business and I had never really seen myself working there - I wanted to be a professional soccer player or sports journalist! I have now worked with Carl for 10 years and love it here. We share a lot of interests but also have different ideas about products so it seems a good partnership. In the window Bremont sits alongside Rolex, Montblanc and, from September, Tudor.

2 – When and where did you first hear about Bremont and why did you decide to make Bremont a part of your store's collection?

We heard about Bremont by accident! In late 2007 we were going to take on IWC, but by the time we went to pick our collection at SIHH Geneva in early 2008 we were "Shafted by Schaffhausen" (!) as they told us we would need to spend 3X the agreed amount to open the account. Shortly afterwards we were talking to Stephen Paterson, MD of Edinburgh jewellers Hamilton & Inches, who had been one of the first Bremont stockists in the UK, and they recommended that we take a look at Bremont.
    "Who?" we asked ( to our shame!) We did a bit of research including speaking to watch collectors and got Bremont to come and see us. Carl & I were instantly hooked with the ethos and story behind the brand but above all by the wonderful quality, style and "feel"of the watches - they were the best new product we had seen in 30 years. We sold 6 EP120's and our love of the brand is as strong as ever. We love the enthusiasm and charisma of Nick and Giles, and their whole team, together with the fact it is a British brand.

3 – Is there a Bremont model that your customers consistently gravitate towards?

We sell more MBll's than anything, followed by the ALT1-C. The Solo range was a great addition too. The first Bremont I sold was to a young man going into the Parachute Regiment. He had seen Bear Grylls on TV, spotted his watch and came down with his father. They are a family of Formation Skydivers. Will had a black ALT1-P, his father Bob had an EP120 and brother Tom later had a Norton! We also sold an ALT1-Z to an RAF Helicopter pilot who helped train Prince William at RAF Valley on Anglesey, North Wales - I actually delivered it to him at the base!

4 – What is YOUR favorite Bremont watch and why? Which strap would you pair it with?

I own and love 2 Bremonts. My first was a cream dial ALT1-C. My father was a radio operator in the RAF during the Second World War and, although he never flew in one (to his great regret) the Mosquito was his favourite aircraft by a mile (the dial is based on a Mosie fuel gauge) To me it tied in with the link that Nick & Giles had with their father, and when I wear it I always think of my dad.
    My other is a black ALT1-P. This was given to me by Carl & his mother for my 50th birthday - it is personalised on the back - and was an amazing gift. It is currently being serviced by Bremont (which gives a clue to how much older I am now!) I put it on to a red stitched black leather strap earlier this year - it was the strap I won with the Christmas Caption competition! It really suits it.

5 – Bremont have created a number of limited edition watches from various historically significant items. If you could choose a piece of history to be a part of a limited edition in the future, what would it be?

Wow! This is tricky as they have ticked 4 boxes for me already. Before "Codebreaker" was launched we had an idea that a link to Sir Donald Campell's "Bluebird" speedboat, which had not long been located and recovered from Lake Coniston, and where he was killed attempting to break the water speed record in January 1967. "Bluebird" is being restored and it followed the ethos of "Victory" & "Codebreaker"
    I guess another aviation inspired idea might be Concorde. But with Bremont you never know….

Good interview. Thanks for sharing.
    No longer a fan boy...

What a wonderful heritage and beautiful store. Thanks for sharing!
    Jack Ryan Fine Jewelry + Timepieces
    Authorized Bremont Dealer
    Austin, TX USA

Awesome interview!

Six Ep120's - Makes you think I wish I had not missed the boat on that one =)

I feel fortunate that Moody's is very close to my home. David and Carl are great guys, and I enjoy visiting them to talk about watches and anything else that crops up. Occasionally, I even buy something!

If you want good service from real watch enthusiasts, I can recommend them.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Mark B View Post
    What a wonderful heritage and beautiful store. Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks Mark. Likewise it was great to read of another jewellers enthusiasm for Bremont. If ever you and Alicia are in Nantwich.....!

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    I feel fortunate that Moody's is very close to my home. David and Carl are great guys, and I enjoy visiting them to talk about watches and anything else that crops up. Occasionally, I even buy something!

That is very kind of you Richard. It is always good to see you, even when you don't buy anything!

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post

I second that Rich - always a warm welcome, good watch chat - and excellent customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by R1CO View Post
    I second that Rich - always a warm welcome, good watch chat - and excellent customer service.
    Thanks to you also Richard. As with Rich it's always good to see you and Polly at the shop.

I would like to point out that not ALL our friends are called Richard!