Thread: Topper Jewelers - Burlingame, California

Topper Jewelers - Burlingame, California

This is something new we are going to try for the forum. I'll be contacting different retailers around the world that carry Bremont and asking them to fill out a short Q & A for us to post on the forum so that our members can get to know them. First up is Topper Jewelers in California, USA. I personally bought my Bremont ALT1-P from Rob Caplan, who was a real pleasure to work with! Thanks guys!

1– Tell the Alt1tude forum a little about your store- (where it is located, your history, the brands you carry etc…)

Topper Fine Jewelers is a single store in Burlingame, California. Burlingame is just south of the SFO airport and about halfway between Palo Alto and San Francisco. Topper was started by the Topper brothers who sold the business around 1947 to our Great Uncle, who in turn sold it to our Grandfather Arthur Caplan. Today it is run by brother and I, with our mother Shelly also working in the store. We have sold watches for many decades with our longest partnership being with Omega which dates back to the early 1960s. Today we combine large well-known brands with more niche products. Our best selling brands are Omega, Zenith, Glashutte Original, Longines, Ball, and of course, Bremont.

2 – When and where did you first hear about Bremont and why did you decide to make Bremont a part of your store's collection?

In early 2011, we did a major store remodel for the first time in over 20 years. We wanted to add two new brands to be a part of the redesigned Topper. I remember calling several friends of the store who were really into watches and asking them. “What’s the coolest line that we don’t have?” Over and over I kept hearing the word “Bremont” spoken by people I really respected who loved watches. I called up Mike Pearson who I knew from his previous company and asked him to fly out and show us the line. He came out a few days later, and we opened the line that day. I remember my father looking at the Bremont cases and watching him react to Mike Pearson’s description of all the engineering that went into them. Along with the other brand we added that year, Glashütte Original, the addition of Bremont helped transform us into a more serious store for seasoned watch lovers. From both a personal and professional level, our relationship with Bremont has become one of our most cherished partnerships.

3 – Is there a Bremont model that your customers consistently gravitate towards?

Since 2011, the Bremont MB2 has consistently been the best selling Bremont at Topper. Based on pre-orders, however, the Boeing Collection may give it a run for its money in 2015.

4 – What is YOUR favorite Bremont watch and why? Which strap would you pair it with?

My favorite Bremont watch is definitely the Codebreaker. I’d always wanted one of the Bremont Limited Editions, and everything worked out just right for me to get a Codebreaker. It has deep personal meaning to me because my father loved the Victory so much, and he died a few months before the Codebreaker came out. Everytime I look at it, wear it, or think about it, I think of him. I wear it on the black alligator that it came with, though it would also look great on the codebreaker NATO, or even the Hambeldon Nato which has revived my love for wearing the MB2.

http://www.topperjewelers.com/?p=blo...er-nato-straps

5 – Bremont have created a number of limited edition watches from various historically significant items. If you could choose a piece of history to be a part of a limited edition in the future, what would it be?

A few years ago, there was talk that they might have found King Arthur’s round table.
    Could you imagine if they really found and unearthed it and there were also some kind of spare plank which could be put into a watch and the proceeds could fund the restoration effort?
    In broader terms, I’d love to see a watch that had something to do with the time period on which the King Arthur Myths are based.

A fantastic idea Jeremy, I appreciate the enterprise that has gone into this and look forward to hearing more about our favourite AD's in due course!

Gavin

No problem, Gavin!

We also received an answer to a bonus question!

6. Do you ever sponsor events for Bremont and how do you get involved with the Bremont Community?

We love having special events for our clients and friends of the store. Mike Pearson, and Nick English are a huge draw and people love to come to see them when they are in town Last month, we hosted a pub night with Bremont watches, where we rented out the top floor of a local British pub. Mike Pearson flew in and showed everyone the new Basel releases over the most humorously stereotypically British food we could find (bangers, fish ’n chips, etc.).

Mike Pearson giving a presentation for friends of Topper Jewelers at the Swingin Door in San Mateo at a Bremont Get Together last month.

Guests checking out the new Basel models at Bremont Pub Night in May.

We also enjoy writing about what’s new with Bremont on the Topper Blog http://topperjewelers.com/blog

Whether it’s something major like the Codebreaker Launch

http://topperjewelers.com/?p=blog&ar...breaker-launch

or a new strap that we like.

http://www.topperjewelers.com/?p=blo...t-rubber-strap

Topper Jewelers - Burlingame, California

FWIW, if you're based in the US and looking into a watch purchase for the holidays, it may be a good time to check in with Rob at Topper's.

I bought my first Bremont from Rob during their annual Black Friday promotion many years ago. This deal just started back up and runs for a few more days, so if you're in the market for a Bremont right now, you can score yourself some extra Apple goodies for free! I got a new iPad with my ALT1-P. Rob took wonderful care of me from across the country, and I'm sure he'd be happy to do the same for you.

All their Bremont watches, except their 75th Anniversary Topper MBII are eligible for the promotion. Give Rob or Russ a call and tell them I sent you!

NB: there's nothing in this for me, just passing along a good deal from one of our many great Bremont AD's!

Jeremy
    Last edited by jwalker9; 11-23-2015 at 10:11 PM.