Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Basel 2014 Q and A for Nick and Giles

Have there been/are there currently any other watch companies/brands that have inspired Bremont or that you respect? If you didn't have a Bremont on your wrist now, what would be there instead?

Given Bremonts expansion in the uk, would they be looking at recruiting a young and talented account manager such as myself to assist in maintaining relationships with retail partners?! :-)
    Bremont supermarine descent #30
    Bremont Supermarine s500
    Breitling emergency
    Rolex milgauss GV
    Omega PloProf 1200m

What plans, if any, are there to establish a US based service center?

N and G: Now that the much discussed MBIII has been unveiled, are there plans to make a GMT MBI equivalent with red barrel and yellow accents for Martin Baker ejectees?

I saw the new Tornado squadron watch has the option of a yellow barrel. I am curious to know how does that yellow barrel compares with the Selfridges yellow?
    No longer a fan boy...

Having just announced the first project collaborations with Boeing, what rationale has there been in the Boeing Model numbers used for the names and is this something you are going to continue for the duration of the partnership? How come you didn't save the Model One for the first Bremont/Boeing LE as it would seem fitting?
    John

Bremont Victory
    Bremont P51
    Bremont ALT1-C
    Bremont Alt1tude SE DLC
    and just a few others...

I'd also like to know how much of the design work is done 'in house', in terms of the product aesthetics.
    Bremont supermarine descent #30
    Bremont Supermarine s500
    Breitling emergency
    Rolex milgauss GV
    Omega PloProf 1200m

Thanks to Serena for setting this up and to Nick and Giles for taking time during an incredibly busy time to answer question!

Thanks to Nick and Giles for their answers.

It's always amazing to have the owners actually take time out of their certainly very busy schedule to answers members' questions.

I am happy to read that there is a chance they'll make (me) a bronze watch.

Reminds me of this:
    So you're telling me there's a chance?
    No longer a fan boy...

Here are the answers to the first part of the Q and A session - for those being sent after N and G headed to Basel, these will be posted next week.

" Considering Bemont's reverent use of tangible history such as the Victory, Ep120 and Bremont's work with elite technology partners such as MB and Boeing being focused on the future of aviation could a potential next step be with the UK space agency, ESA or NASA?"

NE - What is lovely about the Limited Editions is that there isn't a set path we have to take design/inspiration wise. What we tend to focus on are projects with some real historical and interest value attached – normally areas we are passionate about. It is also quite fun mixing it up between aviation inspired and other projects.

Sirs, please would you describe your creative design process? is one of you the creative agent and the other production manager or do you perhaps collaborate on design and production decisions. any general comments in this regards would be of great interest.

Hi there – the design process works very smoothly here at Bremont (or so we like to think!). Both of us love the elements that go together to design a watch and are both actively involved. One may lead a project more than the other, but both are involved throughout with hundreds of design iterations going backwards and forwards until we are happy. It is never design through committee, only us two, because I think you just end up diluting your end message if you are not careful.

Please tell us that Bremont will remain a family business. Are you kids eager to follow you in to the company and what encouragement are you giving them to do so other than the huge pride they must have in you

We certainly have no intention on it being anything but a family run business, and I think it is always a parents dream of having their children involved and working with them. It is very kind of you to talk about the 'huge pride' they may be feeling, but I think they are all still a little too young other than to think that all their fathers do is play with watches and aircraft!

I am very interested about long term plans for longevity in the watch business both historically and for economical reasons - what are the long term plans and what do they consist of?

From Bremont's perspective we have very ambitious plans to bring watch part manufacture back to British shores. We have a very large investment plan over the next few years, starting this year, where cases, dials and movement parts are to be manufactured in-house at Bremont. We are very fortunate with our in-house watch-making experience and full control of all of our parts supply is our number one priority. It would be wonderful to have played a material part in the resurgence of an industry that all but died out in Britain 50 or so years ago.

Will there ever be a point (or have you reached it already) where you'll think: yes that's it, that's where I wanted to take this company.

There will be but not for a very long time, Nick and I really want to put British Watch making back on the map and we feel there are many goals that we still wish to hit. It has also moved beyond us now and there are an amazing team taking the business forward so the company will always have new goals to fulfil.

Did you know that the MB2 would be the most popular Bremont model?

We knew when we built the MBII that it was a watch that everything going for it, the years of testing with Martin Baker and the inspiration that it gave us created a watch that was both classical but very different.The three piece case gives us a wonderful ability to design cases with different materials giving a modern look but keeping a classic dial design. Interestingly though, out of the watches we sold last year the MB series only narrowly beat the ALT1-C collection. The ALT1-C was one of the first watches that we designed and we are proud that the ALT1-C Cream is a watch that never dates.

Is there a design feature that you have acknowledged you'd never do? (like a skeleton or square dial)

I can safely say we will never design a square watch, in our minds the natural shape for a watch is round. There are 3 shapes for a watch "ROUND ROUND and ROUND"

You used WW2 (planes and Bletchley Park) as inspiration for LE watches, any chance to see a WW1 themed watch? I'd like to see what you would come up with.

What this space both Nick and I are inspired by many things.

Everyone loves the Tested beyond Endurance motto, let's say you had unlimited budget, what would be the ultimate Tested beyond endurance test you'd like to be associated with? (I personnally loved the Zenith association with Felix Baumgartner edge of space dive.)

We did get approached for the Felix event but they wanted too much money! There are always events that would like to get involved in or put on ourselves but budget is always an issue. We are lucky that many of our military partnerships fulfil a lot of our Tested Beyond Endurance targets, we would love to put on vintage air and car race.

What's the best part of being co-owner of a famous watch company? What's the worst?

We have a beautiful selection of watches to choose from It is a wonderfully creative business to be involved in where you actually create and produce something that you love but the pressure is also on to be a wonderful manufacturing company, retailer and a great marketeer on a local and international basis. Very quickly the responsibilities grow as you realise you have a lot of people to look after, luckily we love what we are doing.

What keeps you awake at night? (professionally speaking of course)

We are a manufacturer, there are over 250 components in each watch we manufacture, all it takes is one component not to be right and you can not deliver the watch, it is a very complicated business to work in and that keeps you awake most nights.

Ok now, I asked for a smaller sized/women Bremont, you did it. I asked for a gold Bremont (some people even laughed at me) you did it. I asked for a SE for Alt1tude forum members, you did it. I asked for a Bronze model, where is it?

The things we do for you! We have no bronze model in the development but I know in this business the last thing you can ever say is never!