Poll: Which is your favorite Bremont Rotor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bremont Rotor Roundup

Cool Bremont Rotor Roundup

Since 2008, Bremont have been busy designing and selling some of the finest mechanical watches in the luxury watch market. Their aviation inspired design formula has resonated deeply with watch lovers across the globe and the brand continues to expand with new civilian models and a large collection of military exclusive models designed for specific squadrons in our armed forces.

There are several design components that all have to work together perfectly to create a great watch, but today I want to take a moment to appreciate the effort Bremont have put into their rotor designs. The winding rotor is an essential component to any automatic mechanical watch, but many watch brands, including Bremont, use the rotor as a canvas to display an extra detail of art design. Below is a complete list of the different rotors Bremont have incorporated throughout their range over the past 7 years.

Which is your favorite?

ALT1
    The ALT1 range incorporates a beautifully decorated rotor in a silver finish into its rear case. As seen in the picture below, the inspiration appears to be from the engine of the Broussard.

While this rotor isn’t particularly a unique one among Bremont’s offerings, it is a beautiful base rotor that looks the part for an aviation styled watch.

MBII TWG SE/SOLO
    While the Bremont Chonographs sport a silver finish to their rotors, the simpler 3-hand watches have a gold appearing finish. The MBII “The Watch Gallery” Special Edition was one of the first MBII based watches to opt for an exhibition case that used this rotor. You can also spot it on the SOLO range of watches in both 43 and 37mm styles.

F-22 Raptor

A Military-only piece based off of the MBII, this rotor is incorporated into the rear display of the F-22 Raptor watch, released in 2013. The rotor has a gold appearance that matches the unique gold barrel on of the case, and represents the gold tinted canopy on the aircraft.

The jet profile is etched from an anterior perspective.

A-10 Warthog
    One of the most recent revelations from Bremont’s Military division, the A-10 rotor is completely unique and very exciting! Designed to mimic the GAU-8 Avenger gun on the A-10 Warthog, this rotor will look amazing when spinning!

MW ALT1-P

Back in 2011, Bremont released the Michael Wong ALT1-P in a limited run of 50 pieces. This watch was based off of the classic ALT1-P, but had a DLC case, some dial and second hand modifications, as well as knurled crowns. However, the most appealing feature of this rare collector was its bright red rotor with helicopter blades cut into the metal. Very attractive!

C-17 Globemaster
    Announced in 2011, Bremont created another Military squadron watch for C-17 Globemaster pilots based off an ALT1-Z chasis. The watch would later be released to the civilian public as the ALT1-WT, but the special Globemaster rotor, cut to resemble the Globemaster jet engine turbine, remains a unique feature of the original watch.

CH-47 Chinook

Another popular Military offering from 2013 was the CH-47 Chinook watch based off of the ALT1-Z. The dial had an amazing Chinook tracing with the choppers’ two propellers incorporated into the 6’ and 9’ o’clock sub-dials. But did you know the rear case sported another unique rotor with helicopter blade cut-outs? Awesome!

Leander

The famous rowing club which hails from Bremont’s own Henley on Thames, helped design a limited run of 99 pieces based off of the ALT1-C chasis to commemorate the clubs 99 Olympic medals collected since 1908. As you can see, Bremont was able to shape the holes in the rotor to look like rowing oars. A fantastic detail for an excellent watch!

U2 LE/ALT1TUDE SE

In 2010, Bremont modified the MBII to create the U2 for pilots of the legendary high-altitude spy plane. Like the MBII, most of the U2’s use a solid case back for the purpose of incorporating an anti-magnetic Faraday Cage, but a special Limited Edition run of 150 units was made which had an exhibition case back showing off a sexy black rotor. The same rotor was used again in 2013 on Alt1tude’s own Felix inspired special edition watch.

EP-120

The ORIGNAL Bremont Limited Edition watch, this piece is quite special. In 2008, Bremont started the tradition of creating a special watch which incorporates components of a famous piece of history into its rear display. The renowned British WWII fighter plane, the Spitfire EP-120 was the vessel chosen by Bremont to be commemorated into its first Limited Edition watch, and was fittingly limited to 120 pieces. The rotor is obviously designed to look like the spitfires propeller and is made from the actual aluminum from a retired Spitfire aircraft. It remains to this day the most sought after Bremont watch, and one look at the rear rotor (and the dial) will show you why.

P-51

In 2011, Bremont chose to immortalize another famous WWII aircraft by creating the P-51 Mustang Limited Edition watch in 251 pieces. Like its EP-120 predecessor, it has the distinction of containing parts from a P-51 aircraft, specifically one nicknamed “Fragile But Agile”, which you will find engraved on the propeller styled rotor. The colors of this particular rotor really pop and make it suck an attractive piece. In fact, during Basel in 2010, the English brothers actually wore the watch upside down to show off the beautiful exhibition case while the finishing dial touches were still being sorted out. Like the EP-120, the P-51 was an instant hit and sold out all 251 units quickly, much to the dismay of watch fans worldwide.

VICTORY
    For the Limited Edition watch of 2012, Bremont broke new ground by straying from its successful aviation formula and designed a watch to honor the HMS Victory, Britain’s flagship naval ship. The Victory was limited to 250 pieces and its dial featured old-world styling cues with a double retrograde movement that was fantastic to watch in motion. However, the watch’s rear display was arguably even more exciting to gaze upon. Using copper nails from the original ship undergoing restoration, Bremont crafted a masterful rotor that was surrounded by wood collected from the ship’s floor.

CODEBREAKER

In 2013, Bremont threw everyone for a loop when they announced that their yearly Limited Edition watch was not inspired by an object of transportation, but rather a PLACE in time. Bletchley Park was the location used during WWII by the allied forces to decrypt codes from the Axis, and thankfully the work performed there saved countless lives during the war. To pay tribute to those efforts, Bremont created a 50’s style aviation inspired Flyback GMT Chronograph and sourced original parts from an Enigma Machine to construct a total of 300 rotors to be used in CODEBREAKER watches. They also encrypted the name of a special Codebreaker, Alan Turing into the rotor along with their signature as a special tribute to the man responsible for cracking so many German ciphers. Perhaps more than ever, these rotors carry a significant amount of history in each piece, and look damned sharp in the process.

Last edited by jwalker9; 01-13-2014 at 10:13 PM.

Wow, fantastic Jeremy. For me it has to be the EP120, as the original limited edition, but you cant beat the Victory for sheer elegance.

Thanks so much for posting this.

thanks, Jeremy, for putting this together. I was a tough decision as each one is unique.

Terrific collection of rotor-art! I think the P-51 has to be the best.

Richard

EP-120 for me, but all range from really nice to stunning!

P51 hands down for me.
    Bremont supermarine descent #30
    Bremont Supermarine s500
    Breitling emergency
    Rolex milgauss GV
    Omega PloProf 1200m

Great question Jeremy!! They're all superb!
    I think that, for me, it is a photo-finish between EP120, P-51 & Victory, with the A-10 Warthog finishing fast on the rails.
    Blimey...... although the P-51 is stunning and the Victory watch as a whole just about my favourite......I think EP120 wins by a nose purely for the ingenuity of Nick & Giles to launch the brand with a rotor styled that way and made from metal from a Battle of Britain Spitfire, and unlike any other rotor previously seen in watches(?)......that has to be my winner.
    Ouch! Too much thinking....

Out of interest.... can anyone explain the rotor and case number on the 2nd EP120 photo EGE/08?

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Out of interest.... can anyone explain the rotor and case number on the 2nd EP120 photo EGE/08?
    That is Giles personal EP-120 with his initials engraved and the year it was made.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Great question Jeremy!! They're all superb!
    I think that, for me, it is a photo-finish between EP120, P-51 & Victory, with the A-10 Warthog finishing fast on the rails.
    Blimey...... although the P-51 is stunning and the Victory watch as a whole just about my favourite......I think EP120 wins by a nose purely for the ingenuity of Nick & Giles to launch the brand with a rotor styled that way and made from metal from a Battle of Britain Spitfire, and unlike any other rotor previously seen in watches(?)......that has to be my winner.
    Ouch! Too much thinking....
    I agree, it's so hard to decide, but I went with the P-51 for top honors. In regards to military editions, I think the A-10 wins hands down!