Thread: Carol Vorderman and Bremont??

Carol Vorderman and Bremont??

Carol has been learning to fly at Staverton, my local airfield. Have not met the lady but am FB friends with her instructor! What I was unaware of was that this is some kind of ITV reality show which will culminate in Carol attempting to be the quickest person to go solo around the world after getting their license. Personally I do not think much of this idea, one lesson Carol will not have learnt as she pounds the Staverton circuit is that aviation can be very unforgiving. A local 'jolly' around the Cotswolds is one thing but a global circumnavigation, even in a quick single, is not to be undertaken lightly - upwards of 14 hours over water wouldn't do much for my blood pressure!

There is bound to be lots of hype over this but she will certainly need a good time piece - which would be best for the trip, an ALT1-World Timer? Answers on a postcard please!!

Daredevil Carol Vorderman begins her flying countdown in a live tv first | presscentre

Gavin

Lost interest as soon as "Reality TV" was mentioned.

Clever way of getting someone else to pay for your CPL! And if you are going to circumnavigate, the safest way is to have a whole lot of people following you, really hard to get lost that way. And what's the betting that Breitling have got there first with an Emergency?

Yarders, I must take issue with you - it will be Brownings at dawn!! Have any of your pilots got you ''lost''??? No, didn't think so, we are only ever temporarily uncertain of our position!! As for CV I was forgetting that GPS and lots of money will increase her options tenfold; a nice turboprop will make her trip a piece of cake. The difficulty for anyone using a piston engine aircraft these days is the availability of avgas, not many places in the middle of the Pacific will have it :-( As for a suitable watch a Lorus quartz should do her nicely :-)

Gavin

Oh Gavin, helicopter crewmen frequently remind the two wing master race of their position, and not just geographically! And duelling Brownings? By far the safest way to ensure that no-one gets hurt!
    How are you getting on with your model helicopter?

I have no doubt you are right on both counts, once tried to knock down skittles from a bowling alley - with little success! As for the fixed pitch helicopter I am now able to fly it in all orientations so will be doing a conversion to collective pitch helis, much more unstable in the hover, it's been described as trying to balance a marble on a sheet of glass.

As for Carol Vorderman she got through her first solo yesterday and did a landing I would be proud of - it's curious that people often do better landings on their first solo than they do subsequently. You were right to be sceptical about her round the world trip, it turns out that her boyfriend is an ex Red Arrows pilot who will be flying the 'support' plane. She certainly has the aptitude to be a good pilot though, with lots of paparazzi and film crews around, she coped with more pressure than most students have to deal with.

Gavin

I think the best watch for Carol to have would be the Supermarine Divers watch, because you know she's going to end up at the bottom of the ocean if she tries this stunt!