Thread: nice weather, nice drive...needs a nice watch!

nice weather, nice drive...needs a nice watch!

I took the roadster out for a spin today and stopped at this lookout at Lake Altus, Oklahoma. It was a nice 87F (31C) - crazy cool weather for this time of year in Oklahoma. Hopefully the weather will only get cooler...but the forecast sure doesn't look it. 110 (43C) is in our near future...again...

- TexZan -

You should try a British summer.......

You should post a pic of the car too...
    No longer a fan boy...

You asked...so here are a couple. First, the temp from a few weeks ago (114F=45.5C):

Here's the car. 1997 BMW Z3, nicknamed the TexZan (it's where I got my forum name). I bought it in 2000 when I was young and single. Now I'm married and expecting my fourth kid...yet the car remains! Here's one with the Globemaster:

...and one from the drive:
    - TexZan -

Words fail me - coming from a country with such a rich automobile history and you drive a BMW, says it all!! My 45 year old Bristol 411, as quintessentially a British car as they come, has more American DNA than the Beemer - namely a 383 Chrysler V8 with 4 barrel Carter Thermoquad carb as found in the likes of Plymouths and Dodge Chargers of yore. That Dodge was a real American muscle car! I have to admit that time has moved on - a 16mpg fuel consumption is not good, especially if you are paying UK prices!!

Gavin

Here is the Bristol parked, or posed more like, outside Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons - a splendid restaurant outside Oxford, not cheap but a great experience and worth every dime!

History? Yes. But when I bought it I didn't have a garage or the means to work on it, so I needed something more modern and reliable. A classic anything was out of my meager price range. Nothing American-made at that time was worth anything. I wanted a roadster and drove the Z3, a Miata (MX-5), SLK Merc, Boxster, and S2000 Honda. The BMW fit me the best and I found a killer deal. Besides, it was made in America :-)

I try to find where the quality is. Germans make good cars, Brits make good watches, Americans make good pilots :-)

Btw, that Bristol is gorgeous!
    Last edited by TexZan; 08-20-2013 at 01:45 PM.
    - TexZan -

Didn't appreciate that the Z3 was made in the USA! Agree with your comments re cars, watches and pilots - during WW2 a friend of mine was sent over to Florida via Canada for his basic training and later became a Halifax bomber pilot flying out of North Africa. We make some good cars too, Jaguar, Aston Martin etc! As for Bristol it was the car division of the Bristol Aircraft Company, later BAC, who made the likes of the Bristol Fighter, Beaufighter and later Concorde - we will quickly pass over the Brabazon!!

Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray02 View Post
    Here is the Bristol parked, or posed more like, outside Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons - a splendid restaurant outside Oxford, not cheap but a great experience and worth every dime!

Stunner! Le Manoir is beautiful, just down the road from me too!