Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Military canvas strap

Military canvas strap

I got a vintage leather and a military canvas strap with my Bremont, and I've been favouring the leather to get it worn in. A couple of my colleagues have been wearing the canvas but they have found that the spring bars worked loose. Now, not wanting to risk losing my nice new spangly watch out of the door of a helicopter, I put my daily work watch onto the strap and, sure enough, I caught the watch dangling by one bar on more than one occasion.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any recommendations to stop it happening again? I do want to wear my watch at work every now and again but not feeling confident!

Wow! Yeah, that's a problem. I'd be scared to death of losing your watch in the field if spring bars are consitently popping out. Are you using curved spring bars or straight? May want to invest in a true NATO or even a bracelet if it happens again. I've never had a bar pop out while wearing a military canvas, but have noticed some bars are better than others.

Yeah try different springbars buddy, straight/curved? Maybe thicker or slimmer ones?
    I had to go with slimmer ones than the originals for my bracelet as I just could t get them in!

Just using the straight ones that came with the strap. I have curved in the vintage and, apart from a bit of movement and clicking, all seems secure. I have worn it on a NATO and I think it looked excellent, and I'm pretty happy with how secure it felt. Maybe it's because the bars are encased on the canvas, extra friction and all that, who knows.

Just to show it off on a NATO.....

The trick is to make sure the springbars are seated correctly by flexing the strap downwards once fitted. Sometimes the springbar end doesn't engage fully.

Spring bars are in properly, and its not just me that's had this problem, we can't all be biffs! Am going to try the slimmer bars as I'm pretty sure that's the issue. Or I'll just not use it

Nae bother, I only have the original GGB straps so maybe the new manufacturer is slightly different.

I am not a fan of the new canvas strap. GGB straps are made by Carl at GGB. Not as practical but are a shade more comfortable

There have been other users who've complained of losing their spring bars with the canvas straps. Possibly the strap catches and twists, loosening up the spring bar.