Thread: Individuality

Individuality

I read an article where it confirmed Bremont only use fully trained watchmakers to assemble their watches (with some apprentices). As Bremont is certainly one of the great British brands and these are in limited supply I couldn't help but reflect on another great British brand, that being Aston Martin. I was fortunate enough to have sight of many over the years and one of the things I liked was their attention to detail and that each engine built was stamped with the name of the engineer who did it. As a tribute to the skill of today's watchmakers perhaps it would be a nice little addition to have each watchmakers initials or other identifying mark on each watch built?

I was down at Henley HQ the other week and met some of the watchmakers there, and, as Giles said, there is a lot of pride built into each watch by being worked on individually. He also said they know who to blame if it goes wrong!!
    These guys have come to Bremont from Rolex, Omega & Breitling amongst others, so it must be nice for them all to take a step up!

Isn't Aston Martin now owned by a company based in India?

A mixture of Ford and equity investors now own Aston Martin, it is however, still made in Newport Pagnell and Gaydon and still represents a great British brand - good enough for James Bond! Perhaps the next bond should wear a Bremont, that would be a perfect combination!

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Isn't Aston Martin now owned by a company based in India?
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt1124 View Post
    A mixture of Ford and equity investors now own Aston Martin, it is however, still made in Newport Pagnell and Gaydon and still represents a great British brand - good enough for James Bond! Perhaps the next bond should wear a Bremont, that would be a perfect combination!
    FYI, Aston Martin was sold by Ford in 2007 to a consortium fronted by David Richards (of Prodrive) and primarily funded by a Kuwati investment fund. This new group has recently sold a significant slice to an Italian investment company, Investindustrial.

The cars are all built in the factory at Gaydon. The Newport Pagnall site (the 'old' factory) is now a dedicated service centre, 'Aston Martin Works'. The engines are built in a dedicated AM site in Cologne, Germany.

(The Indian link that you might be thinking of is Tata - who now own Jaguar Land Rover).

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    (The Indian link that you might be thinking of is Tata - who now own Jaguar Land Rover).
    Yup, that was it. Sorry for any confusion my earlier post may have caused.