Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accuracy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Accuracy

I don't sync my watch every day so after about two weeks I went to give it a good "hack." When I noticed it was only ten seconds off, I decided not to change it and see how long it could go before getting gross. It's been over a month and I checked it this morning...13 seconds fast. THIRTEEN!! Can you believe that? Over a month. VERY impressive. I'm leaving it until it gets to 30...we'll see how long it takes :-)

FWIW, I wear it daily and put it on a cheap winder at night. Nothing more.
    - TexZan -

I've lost 6 seconds in almost 7 weeks. I wear it daily and just leave it on my bedside table at night (ready for when the baby wakes up in the middle of the night!).

Quote Originally Posted by turbohobbit View Post
    I've lost 6 seconds in almost 7 weeks. I wear it daily and just leave it on my bedside table at night (ready for when the baby wakes up in the middle of the night!).
    An update to this.... I thought my watch was off a bit recently so I reset it using the atomic clock on the internet (it's how the Boutique did it in the first place) and it was about 90 seconds out. I reset it on Saturday morning and it's already 12 seconds fast after 48 hrs. Is that right?!? It seems to echo what bbvdaddy3 has expereinced and is within COSC but is right on the ragged edge.

I'm going to reset it now using this post as a timestamp, and see how far out is goes over the next week.
    Last edited by turbohobbit; 08-26-2013 at 07:40 AM.

My Seiko Diver used to gain 6-7 seconds, a minute! Didn't know whether to use it as a time piece or a fan.....
    It's fixed now, the bloke in the jewellers gave it a pretty hefty thwack!

Quote Originally Posted by TexZan View Post
    I don't sync my watch every day so after about two weeks I went to give it a good "hack." When I noticed it was only ten seconds off, I decided not to change it and see how long it could go before getting gross. It's been over a month and I checked it this morning...13 seconds fast. THIRTEEN!! Can you believe that? Over a month. VERY impressive. I'm leaving it until it gets to 30...we'll see how long it takes :-)

FWIW, I wear it daily and put it on a cheap winder at night. Nothing more.
    Well that's pretty good. Well within COSC (which is expected since these are COSC approved).
    I'm curious to know how long it will take to get 30sec off. Let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarders View Post
    My Seiko Diver used to gain 6-7 seconds, a minute! Didn't know whether to use it as a time piece or a fan.....
    It's fixed now, the bloke in the jewellers gave it a pretty hefty thwack!
    Probably got magnetized. Not much chance of that happening with Bremont's faraday cage.
    No longer a fan boy...

The jeweller/watch thwacker thought that the spring had got caught on itself, thus shortening the spring. Would that be due to being magnetised? The thwack sorted it though and it runs fine for a work hack watch

Quote Originally Posted by Yarders View Post
    The jeweller/watch thwacker thought that the spring had got caught on itself, thus shortening the spring. Would that be due to being magnetised? The thwack sorted it though and it runs fine for a work hack watch
    Nope, not related. When watches get magnetized they run fast. This is usually due to the watch being in close proximity to a magnet. Jewellers use a special device to demagnetize watches and they're good as new.
    No longer a fan boy...

My ALT1-P gains about 1 second per month. Maybe accounted for by my less "energetic" lifestyle than a lot of members of the forum!!

My MB II consistently gains 6 seconds per day (and occasionally sometimes more). Although this is within the +6 / -4 chronometer window it sounds subpar to the accuracy the rest of you are showing here. Would I consider sending my watch back in to have it looked at? This is my first mechanical watch so I don't know if this normal for chronometers or if I have a real problem. Thanks for any advice!

Quote Originally Posted by bbvdaddy3 View Post
    My MB II consistently gains 6 seconds per day (and occasionally sometimes more). Although this is within the +6 / -4 chronometer window it sounds subpar to the accuracy the rest of you are showing here. Would I consider sending my watch back in to have it looked at? This is my first mechanical watch so I don't know if this normal for chronometers or if I have a real problem. Thanks for any advice!
    My MB. II does as well ...within COSC standards. And WNL

don't worry and enjoy your watch