Page 396 of 399 FirstFirst ... 296346386394395396397398 ... LastLast
Results 3,951 to 3,960 of 3988

Thread: #WOYW - What's On Your Wrist!

What’s the story behind the Spitfire watch ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bremont U2/51
    Bremont Alt-Z1

I don't think I would have been able to sleep the night before or afterwards either.

I was already in love with the Spitfire when my dad took me to see 'Battle of Britain' in 1969 as an 11 year old.

The footage was superb and is still used to this day in documentaries about either the Spitfire and Hurricane or the battle itself.

Congratulations again, I've gone every shade of green there is

Add a few more shades here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bremont U2/51
    Bremont Alt-Z1

#WOYW - What's On Your Wrist!

Thanks everyone, I'm not sure what to say about the whole experience to be honest, words cannot describe the sights, sounds and emotions involved.

As for the backstory with the watch, it is something I've had on order for a long while in preparation for yesterday. You can read a little more about them here: Bremont ARCo Spitfire watches. For me, having it on my wrist for the day made it even more special, and certainly a watch that will never leave my collection, as it tells a story.

J.
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 04-29-2021 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    Thanks everyone, I'm not sure what to say about the whole experience to be honest, words cannot describe the sights, sounds and emotions involved.

As for the backstory with the watch, it is something I've had on order for a long while in preparation for yesterday. You can read a little more about them here: Bremont ARCo Spitfire watches. For me, having it on my wrist for the day made it even more special, and certainly a watch that will never leave my collection, as it tells a story.

J.
    I really envy you J, it must be a dream come true.
    A simply stunning aircraft & a fantastic looking watch to match, well done.

thanks for the link. What an interesting pair of watches and I agree, owning one certainly tells a story and is very much a keepsake. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about the numbers of aircraft still operating but it did make me wonder - would there be less of the Spitfire Solo watches in existence than the MB1? I can't imagine there will be too many pilots who are able or even allowed to fly a Spitfire Solo?

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    thanks for the link. What an interesting pair of watches and I agree, owning one certainly tells a story and is very much a keepsake. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about the numbers of aircraft still operating but it did make me wonder - would there be less of the Spitfire Solo watches in existence than the MB1? I can't imagine there will be too many pilots who are able or even allowed to fly a Spitfire Solo?
    It is my belief that there are significantly less of both of the watches in existence than the MB1. It is a very limited market of people who want to fly the Spitfire (whether solo or not) and then also get the watch. In terms of pilots currently flying the aircraft solo: there are approx 60 worldwide that are airworthy, and there is a significantly less than a 1:1 aircraft to pilot ratio. Just going on the regular names you see around, you are almost definitely in low double figures of pilots worldwide.

Quote Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
    I really envy you J, it must be a dream come true.
    A simply stunning aircraft & a fantastic looking watch to match, well done.
    Thanks Bounce - this is one watch that is certainly never going anywhere.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster View Post
    I don't think I would have been able to sleep the night before or afterwards either.

I was already in love with the Spitfire when my dad took me to see 'Battle of Britain' in 1969 as an 11 year old.

The footage was superb and is still used to this day in documentaries about either the Spitfire and Hurricane or the battle itself.

Congratulations again, I've gone every shade of green there is
    You can teach...

....monkeys to fly better than that!

Of interest, and for those who may not be aware, the Mk V, EP120, of the iconic Bremont watch fame, featured heavily in the movie as a static example before being restored to flight.

J.

You can teach...

....monkeys to fly better than that!

Of interest, and for those who may not be aware, the Mk V, EP120, of the iconic Bremont watch fame, featured heavily in the movie as a static example before being restored to flight.

J.
    My favourite moment of the film is the Hurricanes joining the Spitfires and a pilot saying "bloody marvellous"
    The only low point was the model Stukas attacking the radar station.
    What squadron letters has the static Mk got in the film?

Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster View Post
    My favourite moment of the film is the Hurricanes joining the Spitfires and a pilot saying "bloody marvellous"
    The only low point was the model Stukas attacking the radar station.
    What squadron letters has the static Mk got in the film?
    Which letters does EP120 have? BO - interestingly these codes relate to 630 Squadron from later on in the war, on Lancasters.

Not my picture, obviously - from online:

J.