Page 352 of 487 FirstFirst ... 252302342350351352353354362402452 ... LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,520 of 4864

Thread: #WOYW - What's On Your Wrist!

Today's offering.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster View Post
    Today's offering.

Great watch, who do you know in the picture as you are obviously too young be in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
    Great watch, who do you know in the picture as you are obviously too young be in it?
    I'd love to know the history of the picture, too. Everybody loves a Lanc...

J.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBluesGreens View Post
    I'd love to know the history of the picture, too. Everybody loves a Lanc...

J.
    Hi J,

Lancaster cannot reply or post anymore as his account has been locked, can you unlock it for him?

Many thanks to bounce and J
    The Lancaster in the pic is QR-T serial number RA561 and was flown by Lewis J Yarrall and crew including my dad.
    According to my dad's mate in the mid upper turret, Les Loosemore, when they arrived at Skellingthorpe from Lancaster Finishing School they were given a brand new Lanc with the letters QR-T.
    Another crew 'borrowed' QR-T but all the crew died in an op and the same thing happened with its replacement.
    RA561 was used by my dad and his crew on a daylight op to Farge along with 50 and 617 squadron.
    Les told me him and my dad had a grandstand view as the 617 Lancs struggled to get to the operational height with their huge 22,000 earthquake bombs.
    Records show the 617 Lancs dropped their bombs bang on target but after they headed home they were attacked by ME262 jet fighters.
    My dad only ever mentioned this one op and said he hit one of the jets on the rudder/tailplane and as the jet turned away it was jumped on by a P51 Mustang and shot down.
    Only last year and 21 years after my dad died I found out the Mustangs were from a Polish squadron.
    3 Lancasters were lost that day and as many as 4 jets.
    The Mustang was always my dad's favourite fighter.
    Below is a painting of the ME262s attacking the Lancasters of 61 SquadronAttachment 4722
    Last edited by Lancaster; 10-27-2020 at 11:22 AM.

#WOYW - What's On Your Wrist!

The Lancaster in the pic is QR-T serial number RA561 and was flown by Lewis J Yarrall and crew including my dad.
    According to my dad's mate in the mid upper turret, Les Loosemore, when they arrived at Skellingthorpe from Lancaster Finishing School they were given a brand new Lanc with the letters QR-T.
    Another crew 'borrowed' QR-T but all the crew died in an op and the same thing happened with its replacement.
    RA561 was used by my dad and his crew on a daylight op to Farge along with 50 and 617 squadron.
    Les told me him and my dad had a grandstand view as the 617 Lancs struggled to get to the operational height with their huge 22,000 earthquake bombs.
    Records show the 617 Lancs dropped their bombs bang on target but after they headed home they were attacked by ME262 jet fighters.
    My dad only ever mentioned this one op and said he hit one of the jets on the rudder/tailplane and as the jet turned away it was jumped on by a P51 Mustang and shot down.
    Only last year and 21 years after my dad died I found out the Mustangs were from a Polish squadron.
    Below is a painting of the ME262s attacking the Lancasters of 61 SquadronAttachment 4722
    My pleasure!

Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster
    What a story, and a privilege to read about it here. I presume the 617Sqd Lancs would have been carrying Grand Slam?

Have you seen the new Lancaster watch from Bremont for all crew/relatives etc? If not, I’ve attached the info below.

J.
    Last edited by RedsBluesGreens; 10-27-2020 at 11:48 AM.

My pleasure!

What a story, and a privilege to read about it here. I presume the 617Sqd Lancs would have been carrying Grand Slam?

Have you seen the new Lancaster watch from Bremont for all crew/relatives etc? If not, I’ve attached the info below.

J.
    I was hoping they would bring out a watch honouring the Lanc and all bomber crew in general.
    I think 2 Lancs were carrying the 22,000lb grand slam and the rest of 617 were carrying the 12,000lb tallboys.
    I've got an old copy of the Dambusters book by Paul Brickhill in the attic that belonged to my dad.
    Although he mentioned that op he didn't mention the Dambusters.
    Ooooh I like that watch, I'll have to save my pennies.Thanks again.

Last edited by Lancaster; 10-27-2020 at 11:53 AM.

I was hoping they would bring out a watch honouring the Lanc and all bomber crew in general.
    I think 2 Lancs were carrying the 22,000lb grand slam and the rest of 617 were carrying the 12,000lb tallboys.
    I've got an old copy of the Dambusters book by Paul Brickhill in the attic that belonged to my dad.
    Although he mentioned that op he didn't mention the Dambusters.
    Ooooh I like that watch, I'll have to save my pennies.Thanks again.

Again, my pleasure.

I’ve not long finished reading ‘Black Night for Bomber Command’ by Richard Knott. It focuses on the infamous Berlin raid of 16th December 1943.

If you’ve not read it, I would recommend. It gives a great insight in to the ways of ‘Bomber’ Harris and indeed the operational attitudes of the time.

J.

Again, my pleasure.

I’ve not long finished reading ‘Black Night for Bomber Command’ by Richard Knott. It focuses on the infamous Berlin raid of 16th December 1943.

If you’ve not read it, I would recommend. It gives a great insight in to the ways of ‘Bomber’ Harris and indeed the operational attitudes of the time.

J.
    Cheers I'll have a look at that.Ive just reread Bomber by Len Deighton which is an excellent work of fiction and a biography of another 61 squadron crew member.
    I've just been onto Banks Lyon, they've never heard of that watch but I've been given the go ahead by my missus

#WOYW - What's On Your Wrist!

Cheers I'll have a look at that.Ive just reread Bomber by Len Deighton which is an excellent work of fiction and a biography of another 61 squadron crew member.
    I've just been onto Banks Lyon, they've never heard of that watch but I've been given the go ahead by my missus

It’s a Bremont Military and Special Projects watch, and not a ‘normal’ edition, so maybe that is why? Drop HQ an email on military@bremont.com.

Any trouble, let me know and I can put you in touch. FYI, the project lead is one of the current BBMF Lancaster and Dakota pilots.

J.