PDA

View Full Version : An American in London

Bc321
01-27-2017, 11:07 PM
Way off topic but I thought this would be a good place to get some advice from fellow Bremont fans.....

The wife and I are heading to London in a few weeks for the first time. Looking for recommendations for things to do (outside the obvious) and restaurants & Pubs to hit. We will be staying in the Mayfair section of town. Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

- B

DB1
01-29-2017, 01:11 PM
Highly recommend the circus restaurant (near Covent Garden) food is good and very unique atmosphere then turns into a club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

michaelp7
01-29-2017, 01:35 PM
After visiting the boutique head for the Running Horse on Davies St - great post purchase pint. Restaurant is pretty solid too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scwheeler
01-29-2017, 06:30 PM
What sort of place are you looking for BC? Trendy lunch, fine dining, somewhere a bit funky?

Bc321
01-30-2017, 01:07 AM
Thanks all. Scwheeler- looking for the fun/odd/awesome places that the locals know. It's easy to look in a book for recommendations but I figured the London locals know best. Pubs, fine dining (for the wife), high tea (for the wife.... please tell me they have alcohol), off the beaten track recommendations welcomed!

jwalker9
01-30-2017, 01:23 AM
I'm not sure what the locals think of it, but we really enjoyed catching a pint at Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese on our visit a few years ago! One of the oldest pubs in London if I'm not mistaken.

SuperRichieM
01-30-2017, 10:27 AM
I'm not sure what the locals think of it, but we really enjoyed catching a pint at Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese on our visit a few years ago! One of the oldest pubs in London if I'm not mistaken.

The Cheshire Cheese is one is London's most historic pubs dating back to 1538 before being rebulit in 1667 after the Great Fire of London!!

Bc321 - how long are you staying in London for?

You could book a trip on the "London Eye" and then something to eat at CANTEEN on the Southbank afterwards before wandering over Hungerford Bridge to Gordon's Wine Bar (by Embankmant tube station) on Villiers Street before wandering for a few minutes more up Villiers Street past Charing Cross Railway station crossing over The Strand to The Harp pub (great beer and a great pub) in Chandos Place.

If you're staying in Mayfair then a trip to the Bremont Boutique is a given!

Enjoy your trip, it's a great city.

Rich.

scwheeler
01-30-2017, 01:47 PM
Here's a few local places below, sadly I have never done high tea so can't recommend any:

The Guinea Grill, Mayfair - Old style pub and good steaks. Hawksmoor, Mayfair have great steaks too.

ROKA, Mayfair - Japanese grill. Galvin @ Windows - fine dining.

Also take a short trip in to Shoreditch and hang out with the trendy hipsters, loads of good places to eat and drink.

thebounder
01-30-2017, 02:08 PM
Suggestion
Tea at Ritz
Lunch at Langans brasserie

RedsBluesGreens
01-30-2017, 02:18 PM
Suggestion
Tea at Ritz
Lunch at Langans brasserie

Both brilliant - and recommended - options. I've always preferred The Dorchester to the Ritz though!

J.

thebounder
01-30-2017, 02:20 PM
Good call
But for an American in London
Gotta be the Ritz

thebounder
01-30-2017, 02:21 PM
Let us know so we can all meet at Bremont Mayfair
Coffees good!

Ticktoc
01-30-2017, 05:30 PM
Browns Hotel is a wonderful experience for an afternoon tea my wife and I had wonderful afternoon and it doesn't come with a set amount of fair. One of the oldest hotels in London I think just off Piccadilly.

turbohobbit
02-12-2017, 12:44 PM
Ah, my manor!

High tea: Browns for tea is better than the Ritz - and those who know know that Browns is the place to be.

Dinner: Langans is ok but it's gone down the pan a bit in the last few years. If you want "proper" English food, I suggest either Rules in Maiden Lane (just off Covent Garden, and the oldest restaurant in London) or Boisdales in Pimlico (just north of the river, near Victoria, and more Scottish than English, but still ruddy awesome). The Guinea Grill is very good too - the steak and kidney pudding is probably the best in London. If you like steak, have a look at Goodmans on Maddox Street, just off Regent Street.

Fine dining: The Savoy Grill at the Savoy Hotel is very good (owned by Gordon "Sweary McSwearyface" Ramsay), and for super-fine dining, Roux at the Landau is amazing. The Savoy is on the Strand, just south of Covent Garden, and Roux is on Regent Street north of Oxford Street.

Pubs: So many to choose from! It really depends on where you're staying. Ye Olde Cheddar Cheese is supposed to be fun, although I've never been there. For a traditional pub experience have a look at the Goat on Albermarle Street (just down from Browns), or the Coal Hole on the Strand (just up from the Savoy). The Blue Posts in Mayfair is also ok. The Grapes and the Kings Head in Shepherd's Market (a bit southwest of Mayfair, near the Bremont Boutique and Berkley Square) are good, although the Grapes is a little small. If you like your craft ales and microbreweries, there's a host of them in London Bridge and Bermondsey, on the south side opposite the City.

Attractions: So much to see and do. The London Eye is great, better in good weather. You can't beat a bus tour to get your bearings, and some incorporate a river cruise too which is good. I always enjoy getting the boat from Embankment down to Greenwich, where you can visit the Cutty Sark, The National Maritime Museum, and the Royal Observatory (there they have Harrison's clocks - a must for any horologist!). Many of the museums and galleries are free but you have to pay for special exhibitions.

One word to the wise - before you get on the Tube (Underground / subway) have a look at a street map. Quite often it's actually quicker to walk it rather than get the Tube, and you see more on foot too! (few of the locals travel round central London by Tube unless they have to cover a bigger distance).

thebounder
02-12-2017, 09:30 PM
Try a gin and tonic at The Chesterfield
Just round the corner from Bremont boutique

Bc321
02-12-2017, 10:38 PM
Thank you everyone!!! Really appreciate the feedback!