PDA

View Full Version : NAS drives

Wildrover
01-02-2017, 10:00 AM
Anyone hear running a NAS drive at home?

I am thinking of buying a Synology DS916 to store all my files, music and films. I also have SONOS around the home and it would make the perfect music server.

Don't want to store data in the commercial clouds.

Before ordering from Amazon has anyone any negative or positive feedback on NAS drives?

Kind Regards

Jerry

Ticktoc
01-02-2017, 10:57 AM
NAS, cloud ? Still on two channel one cd at a time system. Sonos is a good piece of kit, remember seeing and listening to it at a hi if show many moons ago.

Wildrover
01-02-2017, 04:28 PM
Well I ordered it with 2 x 4TB drives. Paranoid about big snooping all my files. However, if I was really that bad then I wouldn't be on this site either......

SONOS is excellent - I have speakers in all our living rooms. Only downside is my wife hates music. Which means I can only listen to Simple Minds or Zeppelin when she is out. :(

Next investment is a new car. Caterham, Morgan or a BMW 435d???

michaelp7
01-02-2017, 08:35 PM
Wildrover I run a 4 bay Synology NAS and have multiple sonos speakers scattered around the house including the playbar.

Couldn't live without either. NAS holds all video, music and other files. Can stream to tablet, tv and sonos on demand. Sonos found on the playbar and play 5 is top draw.

You won't be disappointed. The downside with the NAS is that it's not particularly user friendly to set up, and unless you are an IT pro you will never touch on its full potential (bit like the average mobile phone I guess).

Top tip - make sure your drives are compatible before breaking the seal other wise you will struggle to get a refund if they turn out to be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildrover
01-02-2017, 09:39 PM
Thanks Michael. I have Sonos Play 1's, 2's and 5's plus feeds into B & H speakers.

I bought two Seagate Drives - the are supposed to be compatible, However, will check what you have advised before breaking seals.

Have you transferred, DVD files to the NAS? I plan to do this and all music files.

michaelp7
01-03-2017, 02:48 AM
All the CDs went over - but haven't attempted a DVD / BlueRay transfer. Have quite a few films and to do them all would hit a significant chunk of hard drive space - and whilst the NAS is a decent music server, I would choose a DVD and a decent standalone DVD player (Oppo etc) over the "DS Video" program on the NAS. It's great for everyday e.g. tv, but if you want to watch a big HD movie it can't really compete.

So since I got it I definitely buy a lot less BRs, and rely more on digital downloads, but for a great movie, bit like a great album, worth picking up the BR disc / Vinyl.

Whatever you decide just make sure you have a LAN connection or a v strong wireless network if you want to avoid lagging on the large files.

I'm no expert but feel free to message me along the way as you get the system up and running. I may have faced the same challenge and found a solution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaky
01-03-2017, 08:27 PM
Christ I must be getting old !!! You might as well be speaking Chinese and I thought I was fairly well up on Tech......obviously not !!

Wildrover
01-03-2017, 08:32 PM
Shaky, I am old - 60 tomorrow. Help...... :(

Ticktoc
01-03-2017, 09:01 PM
Many happy returns for tomorrow Jerry, not far behind you 59 on Sunday.

Did you see the see the BMW vs the Porche on the Grand Tour, not the usual BMW refinement