PDA

View Full Version : Why are there Bremont haters?

harrybentley
11-16-2011, 08:48 PM
I've been posting for about a year on a couple of other forums and there is a considerable amount of hate for Bremont flying around (excuse the pun).

It hasnt dented my appreciation for the brand or the watches but I would like to understand a bit more about the negativity.

It seems to centre on the brand being an "upstart", nopt having any history and/or "over-charging". Some have gone so far as to suggest that the aviation theme is pure marketing and that the story of the brothers being taken in by Antoine Bremont is a lie!

Any thoughts? Is it just bigoted brand loyalty? Irritation that there is such a small amount of used Bremonts available and the RRP is not cheap?

Lets show them that we can be objective and impartial in this forum ;)

Fiery
11-17-2011, 12:02 AM
That's just nonsense. Every watch company has to start somewhere. Being a few years old company doesn't mean Bremont should be ignored. If a watch company age is a measure, then where to draw the line? Can Linde Werdelin be a good company then? Or even Hublot should be hated for being only cca. 30 years old? Or maybe Rolex is a "too recent" watch company because it wasn't founded in the 18th or 19th century?

The only thing wrong about Bremont IMHO is coming from the fact that they're too young company. Once they develop and implement an in-house movement, and expand their retail network, I'm sure they will be even more successful than now. In fact, in the long run I can see them replacing Breitling. IMHO Breitling watches recently became too garish, with inconsistent design, oversized cases, huge pricetags, and they are no longer "Instruments for Professionals". Bremont, by pushing the same aviation theme still seems like a more "honest" company than Breitling ever did. Even if the aviation connection is utilized as a marketing aid, it simply works. I only wish they can keep the company as a family run business, and focus on technical matters. I wish all the best to the brothers, I hope they follow through.

Captain Danger
11-17-2011, 10:20 AM
What utter nonsense.

The aviation theme holds completely true. Nick and Giles' father was a champion RAF display pilot who regularly performed in air displays and was the founder of the Harvard Display Team at North Weald Airfield. He had been flying much of his life, and Giles and Nick as little boys used to take it in turns sitting in the back seat of the plane during those displays until Health & Safety came and put stop to all that.

Of course they followed in their father's footsteps and It was while practising for an air display in Euan's (their father) Harvard that Nick had his devastating crash, in which Euan died. I was the first person on the scene to that crash, so I know that's true, and both Nick and Giles bare the scars of that day emotionally and physically.

I thought Nick had died after that accident, and it was only in December last year that I found he was alive, so in January I met up with him and the pilot of the other Harvard practising with them that day. That pilot was the person Nick and Giles were flying out to France to meet when their plane came down in France, and that's when they met Antoine Bremont.

I heard this story before I really knew anything about Bremont, so it was nice to hear it first hand from the both of them.

I would imagine that these so called "haters" have never really looked into the brand. Some people will always just have their favourites, and will say bad things about other people and brands no matter what. That's life. We take it on the chin, smile, and move along.

You don't win an award for best new luxury brand, and UK watch company of the year based on lies. The military, Martin Baker.....they don't approach a watch company that isn't true to it's flying heritage when they want to produce a watch for their members.

As for being over-priced? Really? How so? The watches are over tested and completely over-engineered for their intended use. The manufacturing process they go through is incredible, and the quality shines through with every completed piece. Their limited editions are a testament to their own workmanship. I believe a used EP-120 recently sold for just over £10k.

The brand is growing internationally and a phenomenal rate, and while they are not the cheapest, you certainly get more for your money than most others, and that's always been the aim.

We could all sit here and moan about other brands and how much they cost, and people will always remain loyal to their favourites.

As a start up brand I think their dedication and loyalty to their heritage has really helped them to become such a big player at such a fast rate. How can you hate on that?

Alt1tude
11-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Interesting topic Harry...From my experience:

- Some people just don't 'Get' Bremont - And many of these people make their minds up BEFORE even seeing / handling and wearing one.

- The same people don't appreciate the design, materials and attention to detail that goes into making a Bremont. It's not just about cost of parts - there are some technical innovations going on which are just as exciting as the designs. Cetain people think that an ETA movement is worth x and therefore cannot possibly make a watch cost y. These are clearly NOT Bremont's target customers.

- People feel that the whole marketing angle / story has no history, but when you take some very popular brands quite often their history is purchased and bears very little relevance to the original company.

What I do find funny though, is last year a well known retailer that were finishing contracts with Bremont put up some models half price and some of these 'Haters' went out and bought models... So in my mind they scorn Bremont in the Public but in secret some desire to own one. Actually I think one or two of these people were converts!

I can totally understand why people don't buy into the history / story element - I don't really like TAG watches - There's a big enough market for everyone!

One of the main reasons for setting up ALT1TUDE was born out of frustration of bashing the brand on various forums... I think it will continue but Bremont will certainly grow and grow despite some minimal comments made on certain other forums...

Oracle
11-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Is it true that Nick & Giles were approached by someone very "high up" in Breitling at Salon QP and threatened to "keep out of aviation"?? Sounds like they take the emergence of Bremont very seriously and are very "high up" their own a*%e!
Having sold both brands I know which I prefer in terms of quality and design…..;)

Captain Danger
11-17-2011, 12:06 PM
I didn't hear that. Having seen two friends with Breitling's and them both needing repairs after they were ruined from simply washing their hands....I know what I'd prefer to buy.

harrybentley
11-17-2011, 01:06 PM
I suspect that most of the people who make the comments have never handled one of the watches themselves. I try and point out regularly that having flipped most brands since gaining an interest Bremont is the only brand that a) I haven't flipped and b) now have two at the same time.

Frankly I am a bit fed up of reading the cr*p they spew out about Bremont which is why I've decided to move over to Piers' forum and be more active on here instead. It does seem mostly to be based on subjective taste. If you try and raise quality of materials and workmanship with them you often get the classic "so what?".

G-F
11-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Bremont is the only watch company that I ever owned more than one model. And if they come up with another model I like, I'll get a third one.

I do have a Breitling, but it's been on the watch winder so long I don't remember when I first put it there... :D

harrybentley
11-17-2011, 03:25 PM
In fact Fiery the Linde Werdelin comparison is where it all started:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/linde-werdelin-vs-bremont-606262.html

(I think the forum rules allow me to post this link. If they don't then I'm sorry Piers I'll re-read)

G-F
11-17-2011, 04:02 PM
I read the whole thread it's not so bad.

The OP seems to have an axe to grind and another poster really seemed to dislike Bremont, but again, not so bad.

The simple fact that Bremont stirs emotions is a good thing. Nobody cares about the new Edox models right? Even Baume et Mercier seem to be ignored by most, even though their new Capeland line up looks great.

There are haters everywhere. Rolex has its own in-house COSC movement, great line up, recognizable by just about anyone, are moderately affordable, and still people complain about them all the time.

Those forums are funny, I remember reading about people complaining that the Supermarine was only rated to 500m! No human has ever gone that deep and came back to tell the tale. So who gives a crap? Some people take beer pub arguments way too seriously.

Buy what you like. I like Bremont! :)

Fiery
11-17-2011, 04:24 PM
In fact Fiery the Linde Werdelin comparison is where it all started:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/linde-werdelin-vs-bremont-606262.html

(I think the forum rules allow me to post this link. If they don't then I'm sorry Piers I'll re-read)
Thank you, I haven't seen that topic before. It starts with a nonsense already: "They are both fashion brands". Come on, these brands (LW and Bremont) cannot be any further from a fashion brand. They both build up on unique technical solutions.

Alt1tude
11-17-2011, 07:15 PM
To me, a 'fashion' brand is someone who is better known for other products and creates watches as a side line. ie. Gucci is a classic 'fashion' watch brand. There are a few which do well in both luxury and fashion i.e.. Ralph Lauren, Hermes. Bremont is certainly NOT a fashion brand. Yes their watches can be classed as fashionable but then isn't that the same for almost every luxury item??

harrybentley
11-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Labelling them as a fashion brand just about demonstrates how little people understand about the brand. Maybe this is something that Bremont need to work on.

Intranicity
11-18-2011, 12:52 PM
I really don't understand the haters, but there must be something special about Bremont for them to feel the need to spend so long putting the brand down!

My first real watch was a Breitling Blackbird (First model) which I like, it's only got at 7750 movement in it, and isn't very accurate despite meeting COSC specs, it spends most of the time on the winder. I also have a Glycine Incursore Blackjack Complique, (non COSC 7751) to many hands and dials to read, but keeps as good time as the Blackbird, again, sits on the winder, will flip it when I see something worth flipping for (Far too few Bremonts on the Second hand market)

Since these watches, I found Bremont, I've fallen for the marketing, hook line and sinker. As have Martin Baker and both the UK and US military, which to me speaks volumes. Martin Baker are an institution that has nothing to do with fashion, but totally in engineering quality and reliability, for them to have partnered with Bremont, (Who approached who) says more to me than any poster campaign. The fact that Bremont Ammbassadors actually seem to like the watches, and the number of celebs tied to other brands who sport a Bremont on their wrist again says much.

The only slightly odd link at the moment to me is Ronnie Wood and the Marine Clocks, there is a bit of a fashion statement there, but again, the engineering in that clock is beyond question, and I'd love one if I had the money, and depending on the image, I might even want a Ronnie Wood edition too!

I hope Bremont keep on the way they are, I don't see why they "NEED" to have an in-house movement just to become a proper watch company, I think what they have done and are doing, personally is much more than many other brands are doing, and many of these were purchased names with nothing there apart from an old name! I just wish I had more spare money lol

Forgot to say, I have a U2 L/E which is far more accurate than the Brietling and a lovely Supermarine Descent, and only wish I could afford a P-51