PDA

View Full Version : New versus Vintage

Yarders
11-29-2015, 09:08 PM
Evening all, I keep talking myself into either camp with reference to an Omega Moonwatch. The money is pretty similar in most cases so not really a factor. Ideally I would want a vintage from a key year i.e. Birth year, marriage year, job starting year, you get the drift! But of course new is just that, and I'd know what I have got.

I would be keen to hear your thoughts as you are quite a savvy bunch

RedsBluesGreens
11-29-2015, 10:23 PM
Evening Yarders! I'm going to keep it simple - there are a few watches where vintage is just 'better' in my opinion: the Navitimer, Monaco, Submariner and the Speedmaster!

(I'll prepare for flak on the above statement!)
J.

Bc321
11-29-2015, 11:06 PM
I have had a itch to buy a birth year Rolex recently..... Just not sure I want to spend that much money on a older vintage watch. My other hang up is that I really do prefer larger watches (like Bremonts!) and many of the vintage watches are smaller and thinner so I would likely grow tired of them more quickly if that makes any sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topcat30093
11-30-2015, 06:31 AM
Personally, I think that there is something very special about owning a vintage piece.

It's history, the fact that it is still keeping amazing time keeping and looks good 30-50 years down the line - if only I looked at worked that well!!!

And it is from that "Special Year" all these factors are worth considering.

As for size, it used to be something that I to worried about. But now I own watches from 35mm -43mm.

In my experience it's something that you quickly get used to and it also adds variety to the wrist.

Yarders
11-30-2015, 08:31 AM
Hi Jake, I'll actually agree with you for those watches but only because the design of some of those has evolved. I'm pretty sure the Speedmaster is the same spec as it was at launch with only the movement being updated. The new subs are a bit 'blingy' in my opinion. Would love a vintage Navitimer or Cosmonaute.

BC321, I know what you mean, I sold on a Tag that had just become too small.

RedsBluesGreens
11-30-2015, 08:46 AM
Would love a vintage Navitimer or Cosmonaute.

Yep, me too - an 806 would be lovely. (I'm dreaming again.. :p)

J.

Urufu
11-30-2015, 01:40 PM
Hi Jake, I'll actually agree with you for those watches but only because the design of some of those has evolved. I'm pretty sure the Speedmaster is the same spec as it was at launch with only the movement being updated. The new subs are a bit 'blingy' in my opinion. Would love a vintage Navitimer or Cosmonaute.

I went for a YOB (1967) Speedmaster - I love it and knowing like me it was created in 66 but delivered in 67!

Yarders
11-30-2015, 09:15 PM
Yep, me too - an 806 would be lovely. (I'm dreaming again.. :p)

J.

Doesn't hurt (or cost) to dream!

Urufu, I think that's my preferred option, a nice '72, but I think it's going to be quite hard to find. Have you compared yours to a new one?

kaufen
12-13-2015, 02:55 PM
I'm new to vintage pieces and have little knowledge on the subject. Wondering what thoughts are around getting a vintage (late 70's) vs, new Rolex. The only concern is that an older watch has more wear and tear, regardless of service record, and a new watch essentially avoids this concern altogether. I ask bc I've seen some pretty nice looking vintage GMTs and subs, but I don't want to get one if its going to just break or keep bad time. If I get one it would be to wear, and not just keep as a collector's piece...thoughts??

RedsBluesGreens
12-13-2015, 03:12 PM
I'm new to vintage pieces and have little knowledge on the subject. Wondering what thoughts are around getting a vintage (late 70's) vs, new Rolex. The only concern is that an older watch has more wear and tear, regardless of service record, and a new watch essentially avoids this concern altogether. I ask bc I've seen some pretty nice looking vintage GMTs and subs, but I don't want to get one if its going to just break or keep bad time. If I get one it would be to wear, and not just keep as a collector's piece...thoughts??

GMT Master & GMT Master II prices are skyrocketing at the moment, so now probably isn't the best time to buy unless you can get a good deal privately. A 1675 or a 5512 (if you prefer a Submariner) are what I'd be going for.

J.

Oracle
12-14-2015, 10:00 AM
GMT Master & GMT Master II prices are skyrocketing at the moment, so now probably isn't the best time to buy unless you can get a good deal privately. A 1675 or a 5512 (if you prefer a Submariner) are what I'd be going for.

J.

Just to point out that Rolex RRP's haven't changed in the UK since October 2012, so perhaps it is a good time to consider new as that hold in prices won't last forever.

Personally I prefer new - the new GMTll is my favourite watch in the range. I like the GMT function and I don't dive so it wins over the Sub for that reason. Externally the ceramic bezel and squared up case with bigger lugs has made the watch look beefier, and the bracelet and clasp has improved over time too. Internally new materials for major components and improved lubricants now mean that Rolex suggest a 10 year service interval as opposed to 3-4 years on the old models. That alone gives you a saving of around 900 in the 10 year period. New watches also benefit from a 5 year warranty since July.

You also have to watch out for non original dials and hands on vintage, as these may have been replaced over time when serviced or if damaged. This can adversely affect the value and veracity of the watch.

The bottom line is that it is your choice - at least you can have a Pepsi bezel on a vintage!

RedsBluesGreens
12-14-2015, 01:51 PM
Just to point out that Rolex RRP's haven't changed in the UK since October 2012, so perhaps it is a good time to consider new as that hold in prices won't last forever.

I wasn't referring to new, purely vintage. But yes, good point.

J.