PDA

View Full Version : Boeing Mk1 versus Boeing Mk1 Ti -GMT

Topcat30093
10-31-2015, 10:10 AM
Hi

This is my first post on this forum :) so hopefully I have posted my question in the correct part.:confused:

I have just purchased a Boeing Mk 1 with the black dial. This is my first Bremont watch, though I have followed the brand for quite a while.

I was contemplating getting the Boeing Mk1 Ti - 64 GMT version, but on speaking with Bremont, found that they had yet to be released and were currently under production.

Two things that I have found while wearing the Mk1 is that the second had is virtually invisible against the dial. The other thing is the lume, when I looked at the dial, I was hoping that the numbers were also luminous, but unfortunately they are not.

Having read one of the reviews here, I see that the dial on the GMT is different in that it has more lume on the dial, such as the 3,6,9 & 12 numbers and the GMT hand. Which imo, greatly improves the night time legibility.

Also the 2nd hand is painted white, which again makes it instantly visible.

I don't need the GMT complication or a watch necessarily made in titanium, but for the reasons mentioned above I am tempted to exchange the Mk 1 for the GMT version.

Four other things, I would be interested in hearing views on:

1) Would Bremont exchange the black second for a white one?

2) Does, the GMT sit lower on the wrist in comparison wit the S/S Mk1 due to it being a slimmer case?
I believe that I read it somewhere!

3) Which out of the two metals will stand day to day knocks better?

4) Which do owners prefer sapphire or ceramic bezels

I would be very interested in hearing what other members have to say?

Thank you for taking the time to read and hopefully answer my questions :D

Cheers

Tony

rich
10-31-2015, 12:08 PM
I've never really studied the Boeing models, but having had a look, I have to say I prefer the GMT dial with the 4 numbers, rather than the 12 on the Model 1. Also surprised to see the different seconds-hands, and again, the white one on the GMT version is preferable to me.

I can't really answer your questions, other than to say that generally speaking, I've found steel to be easier to live with than Ti. If you scratch a steel watch, it can be polished/brushed, but a Ti case cannot easily be sorted out in a DIY way. However, the Boeing models are both apparantly 'new' materials (in terms of watch manufacture) so I have no clue how they will perform.

I have owned watches with both ceramic and sapphire bezels, and not noticed too much difference.

What your post has done is raise my awareness of the Model 1 Ti-GMT - and now I want one. So thanks for that. :D

Topcat30093
10-31-2015, 01:22 PM
Hi Rich
Thanks for your reply :)

I have to admit that the GMT is ticking a lot of the boxes.

I have spoken with Goldsmiths, where I got the Mk1 from and, as mine is so new - 3 days, I think that I maybe able to return it ::cool:

But first they to need to find out, when Bremont intend to release it for general sale and whether Goldsmiths having actually pre-ordered it.

Oracle
10-31-2015, 04:14 PM
Hi Topcat.
The Mk1 is 15mm deep and the 247 Chrono 18mm in either steel or Titanium.
At the moment I am waiting on the Titanium MK1, and agree with Richard that the 4 numeral dial on the MK1-Ti looks better than on the steel.
In either version I have to say that I honestly prefer the Titanium variants. I like the lighter case weight and in each the dial is great. The bonus of the GMT function is a clincher.
Richards other answers are absolutely as read, and bear in mind that most steel Bremonts have hardened cases which make them more scratch resistant (and virtually impossible to refinish! :D) than the Titanium.
Given the choice I would have the 247-Ti.

Topcat30093
11-01-2015, 06:40 AM
Thanks Oracle for your input.

I have slightly modified the title of my thread, as I may have confused you.
It is not the 247 model that I am interested & referring to but the Boeing Ti - 64 model.

Has anyone actually seen or got one?

Topcat30093
11-02-2015, 08:59 PM
Have had a couple of emails from Bremont.

Sadly the Mk1 Ti GMT is not going to be available until shortly before Christmas :(

Topcat30093
12-06-2015, 06:21 PM
I have now been updated by Bremont.

They have released the Mk1 Ti GMT :)

And some lucky AD's have got them.

The bulk of the deliveries, sadly will not happen until after the festive period.

Has anyone seen one yet?

RedsBluesGreens
12-06-2015, 06:32 PM
I have now been updated by Bremont.

They have released the Mk1 Ti GMT :)

And some lucky AD's have got them.

The bulk of the deliveries, sadly will not happen until after the festive period.

Has anyone seen one yet?

Yes, I saw them at Basel when they were released. I was impressed, but overall prefer the 247 due to the 4 o'clock crown on the Mk I. That said, the Mk I dial looks brilliant, really balanced and legible.

J.

Topcat30093
12-07-2015, 07:54 AM
Thank you :)

I should have made myself a bit clearer!

What I meant was, has anyone seen the actual watch for sale in a UK dealer?