PDA

View Full Version : Shoreham Air Show - Hawker Hunter Crash

Whiz Wheel
08-23-2015, 03:10 PM
Thoughts, prayers, and sympathies to all those affected by this recent horrible tragedy.

RedsBluesGreens
08-23-2015, 06:44 PM
My thoughts are with the families of all involved, and I wish Andy Hill a swift recovery.
I've removed the video, as it doesn't really need to be shown. I'm sure you'll understand.

J.

Oracle
08-23-2015, 06:57 PM
Agree with those thoughts Whiz Wheel. :(

As a non-pilot (but who has loved seeing the Flying Legends at Duxford a number of times) can I ask an inevitable question?

Is it time for vintage and commercial aircraft (thinking of Fairford here) to be flown simply in circles over the airfields at airshows, without pushing the airframes, engines and pilots to the limit with stunts that can so tragically go wrong? The Spits, Mustangs etc would look just as wonderful in the air doing a few turns rather than loops and rolls that age might not manage so well?

Top pilots and innocent spectators getting killed or injured in the name of entertainment is a high price to pay, let alone losing historic planes, and but for a large slice of luck Bremont Watches might not exist if Nick & Giles hadn't survived their accidents.

GaG
08-24-2015, 06:48 PM
Terrible thing to happen and it seems even worse that the people killed and injured weren't even at the airshow.

I don't think that it is time to have vintage aircraft simply flying around in circles. If the aircraft, given consideration to their maintenance record and age, are flying within their design envelope and within the capabilities of the pilot I feel that is what they should be doing. If they simply fly around in circles you are as well not putting them up in the air. People go to see them in their natural element and to see them perform, within limits, how they performed when they were in service.

I would argue that if you were to stop them doing that because tragically one fell out the sky then you will need to stop all aircraft from doing it at air shows. World wide, there have unfortunately probably been more crashes of modern aircraft at air shows than vintage aircraft.

RedsBluesGreens
08-24-2015, 08:04 PM
I've purposely not given my 2p's worth on this subject as I think it is a matter for the CAA, AAIB and not myself. I wasn't in the cockpit. However, for what it's worth, I agree with GaG.

J.