PDA

View Full Version : On how to stay alive long enough to collect your MB1!

Sunray02
01-31-2015, 01:05 PM
Just came across this fascinating training film on the decision making process involved in deciding when to eject from a damaged or otherwise uncontrollable aircraft. The film make the point strongly that in a combat situation crews are more likely to escape quickly than in a routine or training situation when they might spend time considering options to try to recover the valuable aircraft. Some interesting F-4 footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa1Ba_NEobs

Gavin

CaptLeslie
01-31-2015, 02:08 PM
I remember seeing that safety film back in the early 80's! I believe it had a direct influence on my decision to eject from my F-4 back in 1984! In addition I had gone thru my annual ejection training just 3 days earlier! For me, the second I realizied the aircraft was unrecoverable I ejected ! The aircraft hit the ground 3 seconds later! I too had to steer away from the fireball and the training I had 3 days earlier saved my life after the ejection! And for being one of the luckiest men alive Martin Baker awarded me my first Bremont, the MB1! Cheers Jim :o. http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/YELO911/fa406089ae15606f833c69cbbae663d9.jpg

Sunray02
01-31-2015, 02:32 PM
Thanks for your input Jim, this is what makes this forum so fascinating, the ability to hear at first hand the experiences of those faced with life threatening situations and the decisions they took at the time

Gavin

RedsBluesGreens
01-31-2015, 03:59 PM
Thanks for your input Jim, this is what makes this forum so fascinating, the ability to hear at first hand the experiences of those faced with life threatening situations and the decisions they took at the time

Gavin

Totally agree, Gavin.

I'm glad the aircraft I use don't need MB seats - bumbling around quite comfortably at (relatively!) slow speeds, I have plenty of time to sort myself out. No chance of the aircraft hitting the ground in 3 seconds, like Jim says!:p

Sunray02
01-31-2015, 04:27 PM
Having seen the video of your aerobatic manoeuvres I am not so certain! What happens if you get into a flat spin - no Martin Baker seat to help you out in a tight spot :-(

Gavin

RedsBluesGreens
01-31-2015, 04:38 PM
Having seen the video of your aerobatic manoeuvres I am not so certain! What happens if you get into a flat spin - no Martin Baker seat to help you out in a tight spot :-(

Gavin

Ha! Best not try and get in to the situation where I need to find out, I suppose..

That was a lot of fun to film, actually. Even though there wasn't much of a speed difference between 'my' aircraft and the camera-ship, it does amplify in close formation...

Glad you enjoyed though, Gavin!