PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Referendum

Sunray02
09-11-2014, 09:55 PM
One week to go and we will know the outcome of this referendum, passions are running high on both sides, the stakes could not be higher! Sadly, although born in Edinburgh, I do not have a vote as I live outside Scotland. This is a piece from the Telegraph about Eric 'Winkle' Brown a highly decorated naval aviator held in great esteem by his peers!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/11081844/A-message-to-Scotland-from-Britains-greatest-aviator-Captain-Eric-Winkle-Brown.html

Gavin

jwalker9
09-12-2014, 03:14 AM
Is the general feeling that this vote will go "no", or is it too close to call?

Sunray02
09-12-2014, 05:58 AM
Hello Jeremy, probably too close to call at this stage, the 'no' campaign are staging a late come back. The result of a 'yes' vote will be most profound for Scotland, the rest of the UK and europe itself. In that eventuality the Prime Minister will be faced with a constitutional and economic problem the likes of which we have not seen since Lord North's administration so ineptly lost the American colonies in 1776!

Gavin

MFB Scotland
09-12-2014, 06:54 PM
A 'No' vote for me. Although it is getting quite tense this side of the border. Major repercussions for the whole of the UK no matter the final outcome.

Alanm_3
09-12-2014, 07:47 PM
I've already voted no, since I'll be out of the country on the day, so I hope I'll be allowed back in, in the event of a yes vote ;-)

Wildrover
09-13-2014, 05:27 AM
What is Salmond and the SNP thinking about proposing this?

Hope it's a NO.

Alanm_3
09-13-2014, 07:59 AM
Reminds me of that classic line in Top Gun - "son, your ego's writing checks your body can't cash"

Or as some others have said, Salmond's suffering from "small man syndrome".

Sunray02
09-13-2014, 09:08 AM
I just hope that sense will prevail at the last minute!

Wildrover
09-17-2014, 03:55 PM
If it doesn't prevail. Close all borders and make England the powerhouse. Bring home Trident, Typhoon and Tornado. Shut off funding for free education at University's immediately and encourage businesses to relocate to England.

Sunray02
09-17-2014, 04:05 PM
Good thinking wildrover! On the Scots wish list as I understand it are 3 frigates, 12 Typhoons and 5 C130's - clearly in the event of a 'yes' vote the horse trading will be fierce! How many people in the armed forces will want to transfer to the new Scottish Defence Force, or whatever it will be called, is a moot point!

Gavin

MFB Scotland
09-17-2014, 05:40 PM
If it doesn't prevail. Close all borders and make England the powerhouse. Bring home Trident, Typhoon and Tornado. Shut off funding for free education at University's immediately and encourage businesses to relocate to England.

Nonsense and an extremely stupid post !

Sunray02
09-17-2014, 05:54 PM
I'm simply annoyed that I am one of many thousands of Scots who have no say in this referendum. In the event of a 'yes' vote I fail to see why taxpayers in the rest of the UK should pay for Scottish Independence!

Gavin

KildareMan
09-17-2014, 06:59 PM
They can whistle till they're Blue in the face but I very much doubt they'll get any of the big boys toys, certainly not the typhoons. Maybe some old Lee Enfield rifles.

MFB Scotland
09-17-2014, 07:23 PM
They can whistle till they're Blue in the face but I very much doubt they'll get any of the big boys toys, certainly not the typhoons. Maybe some old Lee Enfield rifles.

Another strange post. The military division is nowhere near the top of the list. PS I am a no voter but the main issues are self determination, social justice, education, health and standards of living.

PS ...who are we invading or fighting against ?

Sunray02
09-17-2014, 10:25 PM
People here are getting a bit fed up with it all - 80% of voters here want the Union to continue but that doesn't cut much ice north of the border. Two people close to me said that if the 'yes' vote prevailed then goodbye and good riddance, while that is not my view it may gain some traction with people not as close to the issue as those born in Scotland. Jeremy earlier asked if we could 'call' the result, still too close to call but I draw small comfort in that some bookies are already paying out on a 'no' vote!

Gavin

MFB Scotland
09-19-2014, 05:59 AM
A No vote has been returned

Wildrover
09-19-2014, 06:09 AM
Sturgeon and Salmonds rhetoric failed. Unsure if I am pleased or not.

Spent 6 great years in Forres and Elgin - my son was born in Aberdeen. Made some good friends too and had a great time.

However, after the hate whipped up by the SNP the Union has changed for better or for worse.

Time to move on as the electorate has made the decision.

Wildrover
09-19-2014, 06:10 AM
Nonsense and an extremely stupid post !

An extremely rude post. Is this approach really necessary? You don't have to make personal attacks to get your point over. Thanks Jerry ��

MFB Scotland
09-19-2014, 06:38 AM
An extremely rude post. Is this approach really necessary? You don't have to make personal attacks to get your point over. Thanks Jerry ��

Re read your post. I was very diplomatic in my response

Wildrover
09-19-2014, 06:54 AM
I don't think so, but let's be gentleman and agree to disagree.

Back to the topic, can we in England now bite to eject Scotland from the Union?;)

Alanm_3
09-19-2014, 07:00 AM
Nope, you're stuck with us for the foreseeable :D

MFB Scotland
09-19-2014, 08:38 PM
A very historic day which will stay with me for the rest of my life. Glad the correct option has been chosen by my nation.

I do think we are better together although we are a nation with considerable differences to our English friends :)

jwalker9
09-19-2014, 09:05 PM
Glad to hear your perspective and happy that everyone seems pleased with the vote result!

jchlu
09-20-2014, 07:53 AM
A very historic day which will stay with me for the rest of my life. Glad the correct option has been chosen by my nation.

I do think we are better together although we are a nation with considerable differences to our English friends :)

As all my recent horological deals have been brokered with those North of the border I'm selfishly pleased RMSD remains possible without import duty considerations ;-)

MFB Scotland
09-21-2014, 05:32 PM
As all my recent horological deals have been brokered with those North of the border I'm selfishly pleased RMSD remains possible without import duty considerations ;-)

Hi Johnny

We would have sneaked you over the border for a F2F