PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Woes

Oracle
06-20-2014, 12:06 PM
It is an honour to be the first "Thread-Raiser" on Off-Topic
However, having little wit and imagination, I will take the bait that Jeremy threw on the pool of debate and ask what anyone (who is in the least bit interested) thinks of the World Cup so far?
As an Englishman (ducks at this point!) I can safely say that we are poor at best this tournament, and that any slight anticipation that our young squad might cause a few surprises has actually caused no surprise at all!
With any luck we will be knocked out by next tuesday and so our lads can take a luxury holiday somewhere exotic to lick their wounds and rest and recouperate.
The only compensation is that there are some cracking-looking Brazilian girls in the crowd..:cool:

Sunray02
06-20-2014, 06:36 PM
Thought I would cheer you up with my friend Pete's latest world cup joke!

Just found out England's formation for next week:
/ /
/ /
3-3-3-3-3-3-3-Emergency Exit-3-3-3-3-3-Stewardess-Toilets.3-3-3-3
\ \
\ \

Gavin

rockmastermike
06-20-2014, 07:34 PM
We are not hard core football fans, but have been very into the matches so far. In fact, we get home in time for the 6 (EST) matches and always will watch the replays of the earlier ones.....on the Spanish network. We don't understand much but still are into the matches. crazy, but fun!

Here is my youngest being Neymar, or Zlatan, Surez, or Messi, etc...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/rockmastermike/Bremont%20S500%20Black/9F1AA3AF-B8A8-415C-8460-A1CC9179C71B_zpsz9mhxxhk.jpg

chipbutty55
06-20-2014, 08:38 PM
Despite being of English persuasion and the obvious disappointments, I think this has been a fantastic World Cup up to now. It's been full of the most open, attacking group stages with many more goals scored to this point than is normal. It's also great to see the so called "underdogs" rising to the occasion and put in some exceptional performances - all in all, great TV, loving it!

Oracle
06-21-2014, 12:11 PM
Despite being of English persuasion and the obvious disappointments, I think this has been a fantastic World Cup up to now. It's been full of the most open, attacking group stages with many more goals scored to this point than is normal. It's also great to see the so called "underdogs" rising to the occasion and put in some exceptional performances - all in all, great TV, loving it!
Sadly weren't we regarded as one of the underdogs before the start of the tournament? I have managed to miss the best matches by and large - Holland v Spain and Germany v Portugal for instance. But at least the stressful period is over good and early!

turbohobbit
06-22-2014, 09:29 AM
Y'know, I enjoy football almost as much as I enjoy rugby, but I can't help but feel some relief now that England are out. Now maybe all the media hooplah will subside a bit and we can get on with enjoying some decent games in the knockout stages!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Bc321
06-22-2014, 09:33 PM
Well boys how about you cheer on your good friends across the pond!!!!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/23/aqabydet.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwalker9
06-23-2014, 02:51 AM
Any of you guys know what a sucker punch to the gut from Christiano Ronaldo feels like? Yeah, the USMNT does now.....ugghhh!

Still in great position to advance though! I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN!

Oracle
06-23-2014, 12:39 PM
Any of you guys know what a sucker punch to the gut from Christiano Ronaldo feels like? Yeah, the USMNT does now.....ugghhh!

Still in great position to advance though! I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN!
Yes. It was tough for you that late goal, although I was tucked up in bed long before that match - it kicked off at 11pm our time.
At least USA are still in with a chance of qualifying….:(

NUFC1
06-23-2014, 12:48 PM
It's all about the tennis now and that Great British player Andy Murray, unless he gets beat and he is back to being Scottish!
!

jwalker9
06-23-2014, 01:08 PM
It's all about the tennis now and that Great British player Andy Murray, unless he gets beat and he is back to being Scottish!!

Funny because it's true!!

turbohobbit
06-26-2014, 06:21 AM
Germany v USA today. Could be a good one with Klinsmann at the helm!

jwalker9
06-26-2014, 02:56 PM
HUGE Match today for USA! Unfortunately it's at noon, so won't be be a productive work day across the States! This was found on the locker of one of my friends at work! Hahaha!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/26/tu6yru2a.jpg

Oracle
06-26-2014, 03:18 PM
HUGE Match today for USA! Unfortunately it's at noon, so won't be be a productive work day across the States! This was found on the locker of one of my friends at work! Hahaha!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/26/tu6yru2a.jpg

Good luck! England find it very hard to beat Germany (apart from a couple of big contests and in 1966 :rolleyes:)
Hopefully the match won't cause everyone to miss too much work!

jwalker9
06-26-2014, 07:30 PM
Well we didn't look good doing it, but made it through the "Group of Death"! Nerve-wrecking 90 minutes switching between the USA game and Portugal/Ghana, but all is well that ends well.

Germany is a GOOD team! Bring on Belgium!

Oracle
06-27-2014, 11:24 AM
Out of the frying pan into the fire. Next thing you'll be learning to play cricket and doing better than England at that!

turbohobbit
06-29-2014, 06:56 AM
Belgium are tough, but not unbeatable. I'd love it if USA got through to the Quarters, although France may be a tricky draw.