PDA

View Full Version : Bremont MBIII

ALT1-S
03-26-2014, 09:59 AM
Here it is – what many have been waiting for, the MBIII with GMT function! Very similar in look and style to the massively popular MBII this watch features a bronze barrel ( although not an ENTIRELY bronze watch, it is a start G-F ;) )

There is little to say about this watch aside from the GMT movement, so enjoy the images.

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx325/Alt1-S/Private/MB7_zpsc96446ed.jpg (http://s768.photobucket.com/user/Alt1-S/media/Private/MB7_zpsc96446ed.jpg.html)

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx325/Alt1-S/Private/MB11_zps8bdda6a9.jpg (http://s768.photobucket.com/user/Alt1-S/media/Private/MB11_zps8bdda6a9.jpg.html)

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx325/Alt1-S/Private/MB26_zps8e9b5fa0.jpg (http://s768.photobucket.com/user/Alt1-S/media/Private/MB26_zps8e9b5fa0.jpg.html)

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx325/Alt1-S/Private/MB10_zpse92a8274.jpg[/URL

Jim
03-26-2014, 10:11 AM
Awesome, what's the retail Serena? *drool*

Wildrover
03-26-2014, 10:23 AM
Really like it - just wish I hadn't just bought an MB11.

RRP?

rockmastermike
03-26-2014, 10:30 AM
Gotta love a company that leads it's fans in an innovative way as with the new Boeing line and on the other hand listens to its fan's wants and produces the MBIII.
Well Done!

jwalker9
03-26-2014, 10:45 AM
LOVE IT! Would buy one of these in an instant. It looks so natural with the 24 hour internal bezel. Very well done, and I like the barrel color options (orange, anthracite, and BRONZE).:o

ALT1-S
03-26-2014, 10:46 AM
Awesome, what's the retail Serena? *drool*

Sorry guys, I thought I had put the retail on the post - it is 3945 ( $5,995 )

tempusmaximus
03-26-2014, 11:01 AM
Very impressive watch I think the bronze barrel looks great !.

Baggie68
03-26-2014, 11:04 AM
I think the MBIII is a winner for me out of the new releases, bit disappointed with the limited edition offering...still think the P51 is the best out of the LE's and good value for money unless you own EP120 (biggest regret)!

ALT1-S
03-26-2014, 11:09 AM
the Terra Nova is limited to 300 watches ( rather like the descent,) but I doubt this will be the only limited edition piece released this year considering the success of all the others. The Boeing watches are all general release pieces and not in limited numbers.

jwalker9
03-26-2014, 11:11 AM
Notice the subtraction of the Day window on both the MB3 and Terra Nova? Sacrificed for the GMT, but worth it IMO.

Baggie68
03-26-2014, 11:21 AM
More surprises...happy days :-)

nolanz14
03-26-2014, 12:03 PM
Looks great. I see this will be available in orange and other colors.

Oracle
03-26-2014, 12:45 PM
Great version of the MB's and the bronze barrel colour is great. Bounced up and down when I saw "Bronze" on the website, given the very bronzy colour the case looks in the photographs! The case ring will do though, and I don't mind the loss of the "day" from the dial….. most days I can remember which one it is ;)

Scott
03-26-2014, 02:42 PM
Great looking watch! I am thrilled with the GMT function and the absence of the day window is fine with me - I actually prefer that. I think this has moved to the top of my want list even though I have an MBII. Any idea when the first ones will be made available?

rich
03-26-2014, 03:51 PM
Anyone can tell me what type of GMT this is? I assume it's based on a 2893, so (unfortunately) it will work well for monitoring other time zones from the office, but not work well for those who want to keep the main hour hand set to the current (local) timezone while travelling.

I really hope someone will prove me wrong...................

evosam
03-26-2014, 04:30 PM
Just saw this today - funny I think this was exactly what "we" all asked for two yrs ago - wonderful to see Bremont bringing wishes to reality!

Totally getting this variant, but when….now we wait to see if there are going to be other barrel variants of this. I personally would LOVE to see the yellow barrel come back or even better (if they can work out the technical hurdles around it) a black and yellow barrel. Mike P knows what I'm talking about :-)

I'm with Rich on the GMT function as well - I really hope that there is the ability to hr jump the main hour hand and not the GMT hand. This makes it much much more usable as as travel watch. I bought another GMT piece from Zenith last yr where the pusher increments the GMT hand and this was a total non starter for me for traveling...

I did notice that they moved back to the solid case back which IMHO is better - hoping its back to the original iron component on the case back so we get a little bit better protection against magnetism - given this is a "travel" watch for me - its good to have that extra layer of anti-magnetism for all those times through the X-ray machine.

Super stoked about this piece.

-Sam

Oracle
03-26-2014, 04:47 PM
Anyone can tell me what type of GMT this is? I assume it's based on a 2893, so (unfortunately) it will work well for monitoring other time zones from the office, but not work well for those who want to keep the main hour hand set to the current (local) timezone while travelling.

I really hope someone will prove me wrong...................
I think that you will be right on that Rich. That is where the GMTll scores so highly as you know. I will check this out on monday whilst I'm in Basel.

rich
03-26-2014, 06:26 PM
I think that you will be right on that Rich. That is where the GMTll scores so highly as you know. I will check this out on monday whilst I'm in Basel.

Yep. Spoiled by Rolex. Most other GMT's don't measure up. Looking forward to your report from Basel.

Steve260
03-26-2014, 06:28 PM
Looks great! Do you know if the hour hand can be moved independently?
Love the bronze barrel.
Steve

Steve260
03-26-2014, 06:29 PM
Just saw this today - funny I think this was exactly what "we" all asked for two yrs ago - wonderful to see Bremont bringing wishes to reality!

Totally getting this variant, but when….now we wait to see if there are going to be other barrel variants of this. I personally would LOVE to see the yellow barrel come back or even better (if they can work out the technical hurdles around it) a black and yellow barrel. Mike P knows what I'm talking about :-)

I'm with Rich on the GMT function as well - I really hope that there is the ability to hr jump the main hour hand and not the GMT hand. This makes it much much more usable as as travel watch. I bought another GMT piece from Zenith last yr where the pusher increments the GMT hand and this was a total non starter for me for traveling...

I did notice that they moved back to the solid case back which IMHO is better - hoping its back to the original iron component on the case back so we get a little bit better protection against magnetism - given this is a "travel" watch for me - its good to have that extra layer of anti-magnetism for all those times through the X-ray machine.

Super stoked about this piece.

-Sam

+1 - well said, Sam!

G-F
03-26-2014, 07:26 PM
Hey it's a good start.
Eventually, we will have a bronze case too. ;)

ALT1-S
03-26-2014, 09:01 PM
Hey it's a good start.

Thought you might like that ;)

jon
03-26-2014, 09:19 PM
Agree about the movement really hope they listened to those comments as well but great to finally see a MB gmt

mpbrada
03-26-2014, 10:36 PM
Agreed that it is a great looking watch with nice functionality. It is too bad if they haven't implemented a Rolex/Seiko/Omega GMT function, but I'm guessing they have not. Shame really, as otherwise it is a fantastic watch. I love the bronze case side.

mattjmcd
03-27-2014, 12:52 AM
This is the watch I've been asking for since 2010. Love it!

mpbrada
03-27-2014, 04:28 AM
Hey it's a good start.

+1

A bronze case would be awesome, agreed!

Ceeker
03-27-2014, 10:03 AM
I agree with regards to the GMT functionality. It's just going to be a nice cosmetic touch. It ain't going to be much use for hopping time zones. It's still a lovely watch and I think there will now be a fair few MB11's on the second-hand market!

CaptLeslie
03-27-2014, 03:00 PM
It should be easy to change time zones with the 24 hour roto click knob! Leave it straight up for GMT or set your inner ring for a second time zone! Cheers Jim

ALT1-S
03-28-2014, 04:00 PM
Great piece on the testing of the MBIII... http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303795904579431283001880394?mg=ren o64-wsj

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALT1-S
03-28-2014, 04:19 PM
And more from the Wall St Journal... http://stream.wsj.com/story/latest-headlines/SS-2-63399/SS-2-493608/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwalker9
03-28-2014, 04:35 PM
Any word back yet on how the GMT hand functions? Many have expressed that they hope to see a quick change GMT function for changing time zones.

Good press in the WSJ for Bremont and Martin Baker!

Oracle
03-28-2014, 04:57 PM
Any word back yet on how the GMT hand functions? Many have expressed that they hope to see a quick change GMT function for changing time zones.

Good press in the WSJ for Bremont and Martin Baker!

Great piece wasn't it?
No word yet on GMT but I'll ask on Monday.

ALT1-S
03-30-2014, 08:16 PM
Hi all, I am sorry about this, I started writing about the GMT on the MB, and lost reception... If people are asking if you can 'jump' the hour hand, I am afraid you can't, but as mentioned, this is based on the 2893. The time zones can be managed with the GMT hand and the rotating bezel. Hope that helps, its a shame that the watches have gone to Basel or I would have given better photographic evidence :( I will make sure that as soon as they are back we get a good review done for everyone.

mpbrada
03-31-2014, 04:42 PM
Hi all, I am sorry about this, I started writing about the GMT on the MB, and lost reception... If people are asking if you can 'jump' the hour hand, I am afraid you can't, but as mentioned, this is based on the 2893. The time zones can be managed with the GMT hand and the rotating bezel. Hope that helps, its a shame that the watches have gone to Basel or I would have given better photographic evidence :( I will make sure that as soon as they are back we get a good review done for everyone.

Thanks for confirming this. It isn't surprising, since, as you say, the movement is based on a 2893. For them to implement a jumping hour would require engineering an entirely new movement, since the only jumping hour movements out there are proprietary, I believe. Naturally that would increase the price point by a significant margin. All in all, I quite like the MBIII as is, including it price point!

rich
03-31-2014, 05:36 PM
This news is a bit disappointing, but totally unsurprising. There are plenty of companies that have modified the 28xx movement to allow the main hour to jump in hourly increments. Probably one of the most inexpensive is the Oris 690, which is a modification of the 2836. That particular implementation shows two timezones and allows the main hour hand to be advanced/retarded using the pushers at 4 and 8...

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg379/downerd/Oris%20TT1/IMG_4790resize-1.jpg

It's a pity the Bremont could not get into the movement modification process for this watch, rather than basically using an off-the-shelf ETA/Sellita.

Alistair
04-01-2014, 01:39 PM
Why do you need a 'jump hour' function for a GMT..... ?

Surely pull crown out half way turn one way for date and the other way for GMT hand... takes less time?

In fact the Rolex GMT 1650 the first of the Rolex quick set watches did this... and kind of invented the idea of a quick set GMT to begin with no? I have owned both the 1675 Rolex GMT which did not allow you to move the hand independently so you could only use the GMT bezel to set one timezone ... and the 16750 that did.... I think it is ok by me... and not because I am a Bremont dealer just because I don't have a problem with it ...... er just sayin' :cool:

PS. that Oris isn't the best looker either so I'll take the MBIII thanks... :rolleyes:

http://forum.atgvintagewatches.com/gallery/data/500/medium/GMT-16750_shot_2.jpg

Steve260
04-01-2014, 07:57 PM

Surely pull crown out half way turn one way for date and the other way for GMT hand... takes less time?

I am probably in the minority here, but I really do need the "jump hour" function, and here is why:
I travel quite a bit for my work, frequently flying and changing timezones. I also frequently need to coordinate people/work in multiple timezones simultaneously. The GMT hand (which I always set to GMT and leave there) provides a constant system reference for me, as the information systems I deal with generally have their system clocks set to GMT. The rotating bezel then lets me quickly determine what time it is in various parts of the world, by simply knowing the "GMT-offsets" for the timezones I work with. The jumping hour hand lets me know what time it is "wherever I am", at a glance. Very useful...
Steve

rich
04-03-2014, 05:12 PM

In fact the Rolex GMT 1650 the first of the Rolex quick set watches did this... and kind of invented the idea of a quick set GMT to begin with no? I have owned both the 1675 Rolex GMT which did not allow you to move the hand independently so you could only use the GMT bezel to set one timezone ... and the 16750 that did.... I think it is ok by me... and not because I am a Bremont dealer just because I don't have a problem with it ...... er just sayin' :cool:

PS. that Oris isn't the best looker either so I'll take the MBIII thanks... :rolleyes:

So I guess you are not a regular traveller then? When you travel across timezones, the ability to quickly tune your watch to the local timezone whilst maintaining the GMT hand at 'home time' is invaluable.

As for the Oris remark.... The point was about a relatively low-cost brand being prepared to modify a movement, compared with Bremont, who have not chosen that path. I was not comparing the Oris to the MBII. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: