PDA

View Full Version : Winding my ALT1-C

Cayman150
03-14-2014, 03:12 PM
Hello Nick, my ALT1-C is still going strong since purchasing it whilst you were in Cayman for the promotion at Diamonds International.

A question I have is when I first put it on after it has stopped, is it necessary to wind it from the stem or should a few shakes to spin the rotor do?

Also, when I shake it, will it auto wind in either direction or does the auto wind only work in a clockwise movement?
Thanks.

Oracle
03-14-2014, 03:42 PM
Hi Cayman150
Don't know how quickly Nick would see your message, so hope you don't mind me answering your question.
If the watch has stopped wind it manually from the stem before you wear it - flailing you arm around like a windmill will; a) look faintly silly :rolleyes: and b) not achieve the full wind to optimise the accuracy of timekeeping quickly enough!
When you wear the watch the rotor will swing in both directions and wind it accordingly, keeping it fully wound all the time you are wearing it.
The C is a beautiful watch - i have it with the cream dial - so enjoy it as much as I do mine.
Cheers. David

ALT1-S
03-14-2014, 03:44 PM
hi there Cayman150 and thanks for the question. Glad to hear you ALT1-C is still going well.

It is recommended that when you watch loses power you wind it around 20/30 times in a clockwise direction to ensure you have full power before wear. The movement of your wrist alone is not enough initial power if it has wound down completely.

The rotor on an ALT1-C should only work in a clockwise motion, the 3 hand watches go both ways.

I hope that goes some way to answering your questions, please dont hesitate to keep posting if there is anything else you need.

Cayman150
03-14-2014, 04:30 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

When I turn my ALT1-C over so I can see the back of the case, I can see that the rotor is allowed to turn in either direction. This was the reason for the question regarding the direction of auto winding. I just took it off and tried it again and I now see that when moving it around slowly the rotor will turn in either direction but when I give it a strong shake it seems to only travel anti-clockwise while upside down, which would be clockwise when face side is up!

I will also wind it manually with the stem before strapping it on from now on.

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab304/Cayman150/6BremontwatchALT1-C_zps11578101.jpg

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab304/Cayman150/2BremontwatchALT1-C_zps79d275d7.jpg

rich
03-14-2014, 06:42 PM
The rotor does turn in both directions, but it only winds the mechanism when it spins clockwise. That is a function/feature of the Valjoux 7750, which is (I believe) at the heart of your Alt1-C

Antoniopd
03-15-2014, 11:20 PM
My Speedmaster also has a modified Valjoux 7750 movement which winds in only one direction. When the rotor spins quickly in the other direction it sometimes "wobbles" making the watch vibrate. Apparently the VJ7750 is famous for this; I wonder if Bremont's version "wobbles?" :)