PDA

View Full Version : Basel world 2014!

ALT1-S
02-26-2014, 12:48 PM
With just a month to go until Basel 2014 I thought it would be good to start getting discussions going about what people are looking forward to seeing, what they are expecting and anything else relating to this incredible watch event that people want to chat about.

There have been a few rumours about various watches, and we can only assume that there will be an announcement relating to the Boeing collaboration but what do we REALLY think might appear?

Bremont are exhibiting in the PALACE this year - a big change from earlier years and an exciting opportunity to showcase what an incredible year 2013 was and how huge 2014 is going to be.

http://media.messe.ch/Baselworld/FloorPlans/2014/0F.pdf

What does everyone think of this change? Can you really 'arrive' at Basel if you aren't in the main halls? Does location matter?

Get your queries and posts going and let's get talking about Basel 2014!

Wildrover
02-26-2014, 01:32 PM
What are the Boeing link up rumours? Personally, one of Boeings brilliant products in the commercial market id the B747. Hope there's a B747 version, however I expect another military linked product.

ALT1-S
02-26-2014, 02:00 PM
What are the Boeing link up rumours?

Hi Wildrover, I was referring to the Boeing partnership that was recently announced;

http://www.bremont.com/briefing-room/bremont-partners-with-boeing-1

GMYGMT
02-26-2014, 05:00 PM
Hi Wildrover, I was referring to the Boeing partnership that was recently announced;

Hmm... very interesting question. I don't know much about the Baselworld layout, but I too have always wondered whether placement of where a brand's exhibition matters in relation to their place in the watch community. Meaning if you were placed with other fashion brands, the company might also be seen as a fashion brand instead of serious watch company...and the same goes if you were located next to Rolex, or JLC then you might be considered a more serious player in this market.

But then again, I think it would be very pre-mature to assume a young company like Bremont would be able to match the big companies. I'm just happy they are there in a good spot to show their new pieces for the year.

Oracle
02-26-2014, 05:01 PM
Looking forward to seeing Bremont at Basel, and I believe that you already have arrived by showcasing in the Plaza. It is a monumental achievement to be exhibiting in Basel at all after so few years, and moving to the Palace is the next step up on the ladder.
I hope that Bremont will be in Hall 1 before I retire!!
I'm hoping there will be new models for the core range - with perhaps one or two new dial options for existing models such as ALT1-C (and of course my much anticipated yellow dial MB!)
The fair can't come quick enough!

ALT1-S
02-26-2014, 08:38 PM
It is all quite exciting, and Oracle, I agree that to be in the Palace is a huge step at such an early stage. For those who haven't attended Basel the stands from the big brands ( Rolex, Breitling, Omega ) etc are ENORMOUS and the money spent on them is really almost unfathomable. I am sure that Bremont will make their mark as usual, wherever they are located, and in fact, it is often thought that if you really want to know what is going on in the watch world you are in fact better visiting the Palace as it is where the young, innovative and forward thinking brands are.

Wildrover
02-26-2014, 10:36 PM

Yes, I know. I meant what are the rumoured Boeing products. :)

jwalker9
02-27-2014, 05:07 AM
I don't know enough about the different exhibit locations to comment on the change in venue, but it sounds like a big step in the right direction, so congratulations to Bremont on the upgrade!

I think the only rumor I've seen circulated around different forums is a "Martin Baker III". Strangely, this rumor seems to have originated from the same person who posted pictures of the original MB prototype watch after going on a tour of the Martin Baker facilities. He went across all the forums with an unestablished account and said he had knowledge of the forthcoming watch and would post more information and pictures soon, yet he has never posted again on any forum. That doesn't sound like a trustworthy source at all, but who knows? :confused: I have absolutely no inside knowledge, but IF we see a MBIII released, I think it will be a MB styled watch with a GMT hand, which is something members of this forum have been pleading for since the site was founded.

I think we will almost certainly see a formal unveiling of the Supermarine Terra Nova, which we know that Ben Saunders wore throughout his Scott Expedition and features a titanium case, GMT hand, compass bezel, globe-styled inner dial and subtracted Day window. In my opinion, all the makings of a very desirable and popular watch!

Now as for what I want? I'm ready to see a totally new watch added to the core range (not LE). It would be great to have a new center barrel case design (as of now there's two options- PVD rings on the ALT, Supermarine and Solo watches and colored knurled barrels on the MB and U2 watches). Ceramic would potentially be a cool and durable material to start working with? Of course a new dial and hands would be a must. I could see the new Boeing inspired watch hitting all of these tick marks!:cool:

I know we are all anticipating an in-house movement at some point, and that COULD be coming at Basel, but the English brothers have said time and again that they want the project to be tested as reliable and affordable before including it in the collection. Something tells me we still have longer to wait, but who knows?

In the past year all of the dials, crowns, buckles, leather goods and written materials have undergone the switch to the newer Bremont logo/London badging. However, I've yet to see a bracelet or deployment with the newer logo, and same with the key rings and cuff links. I bet those will be phased into the newer style soon and possibly first seen at Basel?

As far as changes to the current range, I'd love to see the Supermarine 500 tweaked to include a lumed second hand. After all, they've added it in the newer special edition S500 models( North Sea, Clearance Diver, Royal Navy) and the S2000, so it seems reasonable to just include it across the range since it's currently the only Bremont watch without a lumed second hand.
Other tweaks to the current range could be additional barrel color options (orange and anthracite for the blue U2 and maybe a brown, white, or gold option for the MBII) and dial colors ( brown, yellow, grey for the MB/U2 and Solo, and blue for the S2000).

Again, I'm probably off on most or all of these predictions/wishes, but I have little doubt that Bremont will impress us with what they unveil in 30 days and I personally can't wait to see what materializes!

Oracle
02-27-2014, 09:24 PM
Blimey, Jeremy! You've got some thinking time under your belt!:D
All sound very good - it's a pity they can't all happen at once.

jwalker9
02-28-2014, 03:50 AM
Hah, I have a weird memory, but it's served me pretty well so far in life. I put that together while I was supposed to be watching home improvement shows with Mrs. jwalker, so pardon if the thoughts sort of spilled out in an unorderely fashion.

I totally forgot to even mention the possibility of a 2014 LE watch. They haven't given us any clues this year except for Boeing, so maybe it will be based off an old Boeing aircraft?

jwalker9
03-10-2014, 05:39 PM
17 days! Looking forward to whatever Bremont will be revealing! Anyone else have any guesses?