PDA

View Full Version : Bremont U2 Blue

Alt1tude
04-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Bremont has added a blue variant to it's popular U2 line this year; the "U-2 Blue" or as I like to call it the :"BLU-2" ;-)

Influenced of course by the IAFDT Military squadron watch, this edition features the standard U2 dial in metalic blue (Similar in tone to the ALT1-B). In addition to this, is a blue barrel (I am not sure if the same 'midnight' blue as featured on the MBII-TWG last year and with it the great exhibition caseback.

The watch will be available to order from May 2013 and will cost 3,595 / $5,450.

I was lucky to catch one of these at HQ last week; here's some snaps taken in the office!

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii229/piersberry/bremont-blu-2-003.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii229/piersberry/bremont-blu-2-005.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii229/piersberry/bremont-blu-2-002.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii229/piersberry/bremont-blu-2-001.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii229/piersberry/bremont-blu-2-004.jpg

lloyd_m
04-02-2013, 02:01 PM
I love it. Any idea on delivery? In other words, how long do I have to save up for one?

Bc321
04-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Love the look of this! After the SE of course..... Need to save up!

Mezzomorphosis
04-02-2013, 11:39 PM
Do you think that Bremont would release or update their U2 DLC with an exhibition case back.

turbohobbit
04-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Do you think that Bremont would release or update their U2 DLC with an exhibition case back.

Talking to Dave at the Boutique, Henley is amenable to making minor changes at the time of servicing - we were talking specifically about the MBII and he was saying that the coloured cases could be swapped, etc. I'm not sure but you could ask them to swap it out if / when you send it back for a service. It might cost a bit though. (I'm presuming you already own a U2 DLC?).

Mezzomorphosis
04-05-2013, 02:50 AM
Turbohobbit, congrats on your new U2 SS. Thanks for your reply. I don't own a U2 DLC yet but I am on the verge of picking one up. But I keep thinking they will upgrade their U2 with an exhibition back. Seeing the U2 blue confirms this for me, in some way. So I have been wondering if I should wait or simply jump in. (I missed that IAFDT Military squadron U2 that sold yesterday. It was posted and sold while I was sleeping. Rats!!).

Tydeides
04-06-2013, 12:33 PM
I'm very interested in the U2 Blue. I liked the MBII blue limited edition, but have always justified holding back on the MBII as I would like the exhibition case.

The difficulty I have is that the U2 appears to be largely the same as the MBII, just without a faraday cage and the associated anti-magnetism associated with a steel back. What is the "enhanced functionality" apparently associated with the U2 over the MBII, is it solely that the U2 is safe to operate at 100,000ft? If so this isn't a major concern to me!

Are the U2 Blues going to be an ordinary production run, or are they going to be limited in number?

They do look smart, it would be good to see the U2 Blue on someone's wrist.

jwalker9
04-06-2013, 12:41 PM
The major difference between the MBII and the U2 is the difference in the dial and hands. Other than that, it's color changes. Both have faraday cages, except if they have an exhibition rear case.
The color is great! Same color as the ALT1-P blue if that tells you anything. It changes a lot in different lights/time of day.

turbohobbit
04-08-2013, 08:33 AM
Yup. If anything the U2 is a beefed up MBII - it has all the design characteristics of the MBII with the added benefits (such as they are) of funtioning at up to 100,000 ft / down to -40 degC.

jwalker9
04-10-2013, 12:44 AM
So, I've been thinking about why Bremont decided to go with a rear case display for this new, Non-LE/SE BLU-2 rather than the traditional solid steel case that allows for a functional faraday cage. Not only did they do it with this watch, but also with the recent TWG MBII and our own ALT1TUDE SE. Everyone like to admire the movement once in a while, but it made me wonder if they plan to switch the whole MBII/U2 line to a rear display case in the future...Then I read how Giles responded to a question that was posed over on the ATG forum The question was "When can we expect a Bremont in-house movement", with the answer from Giles being, "closer than you think!". Quite an interesting answer that possibly hints at an imminent in-house movement announcement at this months BaselWorld meetings held at the new Bremont HQ.

Now I may be fishing here, but if I were Bremont and about to announce my own movement, I sure would want to display it in all my core flagship pieces. The MB/U2 and Supermarine collections are the only Bremont's that currently don't have a rear case display, but now half of the U2 line suddenly has the rear display as standard? Are we may be looking at the "phase-in" of a rear display on the MBII/U2 line...or is it simply preferred by the masses to see the movement despite the loss of an interesting Bremont feature (the faraday). I suppose the hole in that speculation is that the BLU-2 continues to use the same movement it always has.
So there are my rambling thoughts this evening! :cool: Could just be coincidence, but maybe not?

Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to the Bremont in-house movement, whenever it may be!

Alt1tude
04-10-2013, 05:44 AM
So, I've been thinking about why Bremont decided to go with a rear case display for this new, Non-LE/SE BLU-2 rather than the traditional solid steel case that allows for a functional faraday cage. Not only did they do it with this watch, but also with the recent TWG MBII and our own ALT1TUDE SE. Everyone like to admire the movement once in a while, but it made me wonder if they plan to switch the whole MBII/U2 line to a rear display case in the future...Then I read how Giles responded to a question that was posed over on the ATG forum The question was "When can we expect a Bremont in-house movement", with the answer from Giles being, "closer than you think!". Quite an interesting answer that possibly hints at an imminent in-house movement announcement at this months BaselWorld meetings held at the new Bremont HQ.

Now I may be fishing here, but if I were Bremont and about to announce my own movement, I sure would want to display it in all my core flagship pieces. The MB/U2 and Supermarine collections are the only Bremont's that currently don't have a rear case display, but now half of the U2 line suddenly has the rear display as standard? Are we may be looking at the "phase-in" of a rear display on the MBII/U2 line...or is it simply preferred by the masses to see the movement despite the loss of an interesting Bremont feature (the faraday). I suppose the hole in that speculation is that the BLU-2 continues to use the same movement it always has.
So there are my rambling thoughts this evening! :cool: Could just be coincidence, but maybe not?

Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to the Bremont in-house movement, whenever it may be!

Interesting debate Jeremy!

I think we'd all love to see an inhouse movement. I personally think they'd still be a bit far off actual 100% 'inhouse' - Personally I think we'd be seeing more interesting 'inhouse?' calibers on-top of existing movements first... i.e a bit like the Victory watch - making more interesting functions which 'hint' at it being leading towards in house but not being full 100% all movement manufacture...

Don't quote me on the above either as I could be totally wrong, but it's just from observations on how other watch companies have operated... The step to 'proper' man.

It will be interesting to see what the Basel 2013 launch brings though.