Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Controversial, no?

Controversial, no?

Nick English was wearing his watch on his right wrist in one of the pics on fb of the 1918 launch!!

I assume heís a southpaw, as Iíve only ever seen him wear how watch on his right wrist. Looked to me like they were both wearing the DH-88 at the launch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker9 View Post
    I assume he’s a southpaw, as I’ve only ever seen him wear how watch on his right wrist. Looked to me like they were both wearing the DH-88 at the launch?

Hahah, not heard the term southpaw before! Looked indeed like the DH-88 (which I actually prefer to the new LE) *whispersquietly*

Glad I could share my southern USA words with you

He was the odd man out here!

Great picture! I'd never noticed the southpaw thing before. It definately feels odd for me putting a watch on my right. Great that you were able to catch up with them on their rosd trip.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperRichieM View Post
    Hahah, not heard the term southpaw before! Looked indeed like the DH-88 (which I actually prefer to the new LE) *whispersquietly*
    A little "gee whiz" info. The term "south paw" is American slang for left-handed because of baseball, similar to Cricket. The stadiums were typically setup so the pitcher's (Cricket's bowler) mound was east of home plate so the batter wasn't looking into the sun when trying to hit. Therefore, when facing home plate they threw with the southern arm, or "south paw."

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all day...:-)
    - TexZan -

Being a "Southpaw" myself, I don't see it as an excuse to wear my watch on the right(wrong) wrist...

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by TexZan View Post
    A little "gee whiz" info. The term "south paw" is American slang for left-handed because of baseball, similar to Cricket. The stadiums were typically setup so the pitcher's (Cricket's bowler) mound was east of home plate so the batter wasn't looking into the sun when trying to hit. Therefore, when facing home plate they threw with the southern arm, or "south paw."

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all day...:-)
    Brilliant, thanks TexZan!

Interesting post Texzan, as I always thought it was a boxing term.
    You learn something new everyday !!!

I am a southpaw and it does feel totally wrong having a watch in my right wrist imo

Quote Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
    Interesting post Texzan, as I always thought it was a boxing term.
    You learn something new everyday !!!

I am a southpaw and it does feel totally wrong having a watch in my right wrist imo

The pitcher origin makes more sense, since they only face on direction.

The boxing origin, the one I have heard, never made sense. Boxers are all over the ring, at any given point, their left hand can be facing any direction.