Poll: What are your first impressions of the 1918?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Bremont 2017 LE: 1918 RAF 100th Anniversary Watch

Wow!! Those look great, Argo! What was your impression in person?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi JWalker9,

I cannot say. Ask me again in 24 hours as I'm seeing them tomorrow. I'll write my thoughts on the watch and post them for all to read. Nick English will be there too, so it should be good.

HI Team,

The 1918 movement, taken from the Bremont NYC's twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/918201183877193728

Best,
    Argo

ALL WHITE GOLD pre-sold. Wanted to switch - too late.
    Own at present:
    Leander LE
    Codebreaker LE
    Wright Flyer LE
    Michael Wong LE
    DH-88 LE (in 2 weeks)
    Boeing 100 LE
    Boeing 747 (Military)
    216 Sqn x 2 (Mlitary)
    U2 DLC

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrover View Post
    'Flying' off the shelves, it seems...!

Which have you gone for, Jerry? The steel?

Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post

I cannot say. Ask me again in 24 hours as I'm seeing them tomorrow. I'll write my thoughts on the watch and post them for all to read. Nick English will be there too, so it should be good.
    Do let us know your thoughts, Argo - and do share some pictures if you can, the more the merrier.

J.

Nice looking watch but not a massive fan of the AM/PM display or the thickness.

Just seen this video that was posted online last night showing the rotor which appears to be spinning fairly rapidly. Is this rotor speed standard for this movement as I thought it would put undue stress on the staff attaching the rotor to the winding mechanism.

https://twitter.com/BremontNYC/statu...01183877193728

Quote Originally Posted by chunkythebulldog View Post
    Nice looking watch but not a massive fan of the AM/PM display or the thickness.

Just seen this video that was posted online last night showing the rotor which appears to be spinning fairly rapidly. Is this rotor speed standard for this movement as I thought it would put undue stress on the staff attaching the rotor to the winding mechanism.

https://twitter.com/BremontNYC/statu...01183877193728
    Perhaps a uni-directional rotor.

Quote Originally Posted by awildermode View Post
    Perhaps a uni-directional rotor.
    Good point, hadn't thought of that although thought there would still be a bit more resistance

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrover View Post
    I was second guessing as well but ignoring any pictures and just seeing them 'in the flesh' I'm not as much a fan of the white gold as I am the rose gold and ss.

Evening Team,

I visited the Bremont boutique in New York today and had the privilege of seeing the watches first hand, and chatting to Nick. Overall, a first class experience. Here are my thoughts on the watch.

Firstly, it's better looking in person than the pictures online. It really is a gorgeous piece in all three variations, and the photos do the watch some justice but not full. To own any of the three is to own a genuinely special watch. Forgive me for saying, but I think the 1918 is perhaps Bremont's best looking LE to date. It's a stunner.

Secondly, the watch feels very comfortable on the wrist. I've a 7 and 1/4 inch wrist, and the watch fits really nicely. Some have indicated that the 17mm might be on the larger side. Well, at 43mm, the watch feels really compact and snug and doesn't feel like a "large", deep watch at all. It fit very easily under my cuffs, and a chap at the store had button cuffs, and it fit easily under his also. This is an easy everyday dress watch if you're in a suit and tie all day as I am. I didn't feel the watch was heavy at all such that you'd feel like you have an anvil on your wrist. If feels and like it looks: a beautifully designed watch that really sits well on the wrist.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2741.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	4006Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2740.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	4005
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2742.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	4007Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2743.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	4008

Thirdly, the detail on the face is absolutely stunning. The day-night feature has the lume, which looks extraordinary. Also, the face is extraordinarily well balanced and in no way feels cluttered. Also, the watch could be dressed down by a simple strap change. For the SS version, putting a black strap on the watch would make it more formal, or putting on one of those Jaguar straps with the holes would give it a very sporty look. The SS version is both dressy and casual, depending on the strap. This is an everyday watch that you could wear to the most formal event, or picking up the shopping with your kids.

I will also say that the WG version is an absolute delight. The blue is my favorite, but is slightly out of my range. Also, the NY boutique has one or two in WG unassigned for would-be buyers--no.3 is available for example. Wildrover, a trip to NY could be in your future perhaps?!

As to the case back, you can really see the effort Bremont have put into this watch. The crystal sapphire is gorgeous, and the movement feels impeccably balanced. You could not feel the rotor movement on the wrist at all as one can with other watches. Also, it does not spin like the video I posted showed. It's much slower, and moves at an appropriate rate as one would expect.

Lastly, the strap and the buckle finish the watch. The strap is alligator and gives the watch a sumptuous feel, and I found it very comfortable on the wrist. The tang is polished, and adds that finishing touch of class.

Overall, I'd give the watch 10/10. I really can't think of any aspect of the watch that I'd change. I think the watch aptly demonstrates Bremont's maturity and confidence in putting together a complication of this nature. There is no equivalent 1918 by any brand.

Also, in chatting to Nick, I really got a strong sense of how important the historical aspects are in the piece, and how they've worked to get that balance right--which I think they've utterly succeeded in doing. Also, I received an invite to see Nick in Henley and tour the facilities, old and new. Ill definitely be taking him up on this. Both Nick and Anthony (the boutique manager) are a delightful pair, and immensely approachable and knowledgeable.

If you have any questions, please ask. I've bound to have missed something.

Best,
    Argo