Poll: What are your first impressions of the 1918?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bremont 2017 LE: 1918 RAF 100th Anniversary Watch

Evening Team,

A heads up for those interested. On Thursday of this coming week, Nick English will be at the Bremont boutique in NY to show off all three watches. I've been invited, and am pretty excited to be attending. If anyone is in the area and whats to go, call the manager of the NY boutique to get an invite. Its for those who've put a deposit down, and those otherwise interested. I will eye the watch carefully noting Wildrover's concerns regarding height and weight. I'll do my best to post a few decent photos reflecting these attributes. I wear cufflinked shirts everyday to work so need a watch that will fit under them. My old Army Casio pathfinder fits under, and that's a bit of a beast of a watch (and has looked after me well considering the abuse it has taken over the years). Still, I'll check out the 1918, and report my findings for the group.

Best,
    Argo

Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    Evening Team,

A heads up for those interested. On Thursday of this coming week, Nick English will be at the Bremont boutique in NY to show off all three watches. I've been invited, and am pretty excited to be attending. If anyone is in the area and whats to go, call the manager of the NY boutique to get an invite. Its for those who've put a deposit down, and those otherwise interested. I will eye the watch carefully noting Wildrover's concerns regarding height and weight. I'll do my best to post a few decent photos reflecting these attributes. I wear cufflinked shirts everyday to work so need a watch that will fit under them. My old Army Casio pathfinder fits under, and that's a bit of a beast of a watch (and has looked after me well considering the abuse it has taken over the years). Still, I'll check out the 1918, and report my findings for the group.

Best,
    Argo
    Just to set expectations, itís same as the Victory, so pretty high. Personally I donít care as I love the whole idea of the watch as a piece of British history. Itís taller than Iíd usually wear but Iím not letting that deter me. I too live in shirts and cuff links but Iím sure Iíll manage. So excited about delivery now! Hope Thursday is fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MBii Orange
    Alt1-C / CR (sold)
    Alt1- C / PW
    Supermarine S500 BK
    Omega Constellation
    Omega Speedmaster Professional
    Omega de ville co-axel chronometer

Quote Originally Posted by Dacman View Post
    Just to set expectations, it’s same as the Victory, so pretty high. Personally I don’t care as I love the whole idea of the watch as a piece of British history. It’s taller than I’d usually wear but I’m not letting that deter me. I too live in shirts and cuff links but I’m sure I’ll manage. So excited about delivery now! Hope Thursday is fun!

Thanks Dacman. I'm with you also. I don't care about the 17mm height for two reasons. Firstly, I wear my Casio pathfinder to work (I recently sold the Bell & Ross), which is bigger than the 1918 in all dimensions and fits under my cuffed shirts. Secondly, when I recently tried on the Alt1-C-PW, the watch looked and felt great on my wrist, and also fit under my cuffs. The PW is 16mm in height, so I know the 1918 is going to look great on my wrist as its a far sharper looking watch. Thus, unless there's something completely off about the watch--which I doubt--but Thursday will tell me if there is, I'll be getting a 1918. Its a gorgeous piece

However, I accept the watch is not for all, so I'll take some photos and report my findings.

Best,
    Argo

Hi Team,

I'm fast learning why so many of you collect. I've always been of the view that one should just have the "one watch." Trouble is, that's next to impossible to define. In thinking about the 1918, I know three things: (1) I can understand why some would not want to wear it everyday, thus preserving it. This means I need a second watch. On this front, I'm considering an Airco. Also, I saw this little stunner from Bremont, which I cant buy as I'm not in the group eligible to buy it (although used to row quite a bit). Its basically a modified Mach 2. Still, I'll ask Nick about this on Thursday;

(2) I can think of three Bremont LE's I would own had I been following the brand from the start: the Victory, Codebreaker, and 1918. Thus, the chances of me picking up another LE from them is high. Although, this comes down to costs and managing one's priorities and expectations. I couldn't own them all due to costs, although if I did, this would answer point (1); and (3) there are so many other fabulous watches out there. Take this new VC for example, which I would very much like to have, and is a real step up price wise. Its absolutely stunning, the Vacheron Constantin Historiques Triple Calendrier 1942 in SS. Its $18.5k:

Anyway, just some random thoughts for the day. I'm hoping to check out the VC on Thursday whilst I'm in NY.

Best,
    Argo

Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    Hi Team,

I'm fast learning why so many of you collect. I've always been of the view that one should just have the "one watch." Trouble is, that's next to impossible to define. In thinking about the 1918, I know three things: (1) I can understand why some would not want to wear it everyday, thus preserving it. This means I need a second watch. On this front, I'm considering an Airco. Also, I saw this little stunner from Bremont, which I cant buy as I'm not in the group eligible to buy it (although used to row quite a bit). Its basically a modified Mach 2. Still, I'll ask Nick about this on Thursday;

(2) I can think of three Bremont LE's I would own had I been following the brand from the start: the Victory, Codebreaker, and 1918. Thus, the chances of me picking up another LE from them is high. Although, this comes down to costs and managing one's priorities and expectations. I couldn't own them all due to costs, although if I did, this would answer point (1); and (3) there are so many other fabulous watches out there. Take this new VC for example, which I would very much like to have, and is a real step up price wise. Its absolutely stunning, the Vacheron Constantin Historiques Triple Calendrier 1942 in SS. Its $18.5k:

Anyway, just some random thoughts for the day. I'm hoping to check out the VC on Thursday whilst I'm in NY.

Best,
    Argo
    I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the VC as I saw the review on ABTW and it looks like a timeless classic.

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

Have you read the review on Hodinkee?

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/va...can-1921-small

Best,
    Argo

Hi Team,

Here's some photos of the 1918s which are at the Bremont boutique in New York. If you're in NY over the next few days, you can see them. If not, enjoy...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2728.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	3998Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2728.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	3998Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2729.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	3999Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2730.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	4000Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2731.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	4001

Hi Team,

Two more...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2732.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	4002Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2733.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	4003

My apologies, I missed one and duplicated the first photo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2727.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	4004